What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take Action on the Development.

The Popper

Bench
I was there for 2 hours and spoke (poorly I thought).
Seemed to be a 60-40 split of supporters v detractors.

Fizman and Megalodon spoke very well as did Gal and Rossy. Rossy spoke in his capacity as pharmacy owner and said he welcomes the new shopping centre. I missed it but Annesley spoke first up and was apparently very good.

Most detractors were older local residents who droned on about the usual mundane and extremely "general" topics of Mangroves, Traffic, game day parking (really, I mean seriously if this is all youve got, give up) and over crowding. Only one (a younger female on some environmental board) spoke with any authority and with regards to specifics in the report.

The surprising thing for me was that most of the supporters were immediate locals and a good mix of demographics and socio economic variety.

Keep in mind I left at 1230pm. Although Provan sent her apologies earlier in the day she changed her mind and is apparently on the way down there. Capsis and Irvine would be speaking about now I reckon.

I thought you spoke well, Newman. I thought a number of supporters spoke well. Provan - they announced her about face after the morning tea break. My guess is one of the shark haters got her on the phone during the break to tell her things weren't going as they planned. So all of a sudden her pressing engagements weren't so pressing.
C'mon, Popper. Don't be so cynical. :sarcasm:

newman

First Grade
So why does Proven get special treatment? Can anyone reschedule?

Calm down. They are reasonably flexible. Some old duck had to go so they slotted her in at the end of one of the sessions. There are a lot of speakers and most people are keeping well within their alloted time. She's the mayor for gods sake, shes probably got alot on her plate, they would do the same for Irvine.

Dread

Juniors
I've heard that the second session was about 75% in favour of the development. Provan and Capsis were two who spoke against in that session.

Unsurprisingly, Capsis spoke like a rambling old fool.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I was worried about this meeting a little bit, I thought the nay sayers would come out with some new strategy and try and ambush the project. Sounds like they have nothing by the reports.

fizman

Bench
I was worried about this meeting a little bit, I thought the nay sayers would come out with some new strategy and try and ambush the project. Sounds like they have nothing by the reports.

Mate, by the sound of the sessions, it may appear that most of the objection was in the first session that both Newman and I attended.

Much of the objection was literally self centred "me, myself and I" presentations For example - It takes ME 1 hour to get from here to there.

One of the presenters just about blew a gasket before he started because his name was spelt incorrectly.

The pro views spoke more about the "wider community" benefits, but there was also alot of reference to the Sharks and how the club benefits the community.

There were alot of throw away lines and generalizations - but nothing I believe that would hopefully change the course of the recommendation.

If you look at the features and benefits of the proposed development and weigh up the positives and negatives, I am certain that the development would be approved.

I guess we will know in good time.

fizman

Bench
By the way, Newman made an absolutely outstanding presentation. I am not sure why he wasn't happy with but his point was made clearly, concisely and firmly.

Weaponhead

Coach
Appreciate the efforts of those speaking on behalf of the development and many thanks for the updates Fiz, Dread and Newman.

The Mayors position on this is interesting given what was reported in the Leader.
Cr Provan said her key area of concern was economic prosperity.

“I will make sure that the shire gets the investment it needs, both to maintain and improve our infrastructure and to enable regeneration of places in need.’’

Continued investment in roads and traffic infrastructure, high-quality property development ventures, increased small-to-medium business enterprises support, and boosting local tourism were other other issues. The Leader July 24

Very hard to see how she can not support the Sharks development given her platform is about economic prosperity, infrastructure and tourism.....

newman

First Grade
Mate, by the sound of the sessions, it may appear that most of the objection was in the first session that both Newman and I attended.

Much of the objection was literally self centred "me, myself and I" presentations For example - It takes ME 1 hour to get from here to there.

One of the presenters just about blew a gasket before he started because his name was spelt incorrectly.

e.

How funny was that bloke? He was ranting and raving about residents needing rowboats to get out of the apartments because it will "flood THAT bad".

Always good to see you Fizzer... Thanks for the props on the preso, I felt I went poorly because I do a lot of public speaking for work and it is a strength of mine but I was intimidated as hell when I got up there and felt like I froze. One of the club staff told me that Gal Felt nervous too so maybe it was the energy in the room.

I feel super confident about the result now.

The Popper

Bench
I was only there for the first session and it seemed those in favour far outnumbered the naysayers. It appeared to me that the favourable arguments were built on benefits for the district, etc, whereas those against, as said, seemed to concentrate on personal disadvantage. It certainly seemed a far cry from those very early development council meetings when Barry Pierce and the board were generally outnumbered by the anti-Shark brigade. I'm feeling positive about the outcome. :)

Latest posts