What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

Burwood

Bench
Looks like my vision of extending Tolar's contract using the Veteran Player Allowance is coming to fruition.

jonno_knights

Juniors
posted by NBN News on twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/nbnnews

says significant player announcement, nothing about a signing necessarily. could be a re-signing or even one of our players going elsewhere. fingers crossed for Snowy, though.

Going by the tone (hard to read tone over the internet :lol:) of the FB update, it will be positive (i.e. not a retirement or a player leaving)

Stay tuned... significant player announcement on its way!

EDIT: Apparently Its Gids signing until the end of 2015.

Last edited:

rnb11

Juniors
When will the takeover paperwork be finished? Didn't they say it'd take up to a month, surely it's getting close... It seems like we're holding out on signing players until it's all been finalised

RHCP

Bench
Me too. :(

The lolSharks will throw the farm at Snowy now. If they lose both their rep props they are royally f*cked... even moreso than they currently are.
I actually think the loss of Douglas and/or Snowden will do the Sharks a world of good. There's no way they could retain one or both of them and still field a competitive side with the kind of money they'd be demanding.

Cronulla have enough forwards, time to splash out on some backs.

Coastbloke

Bench
This week's RLW has a possible team for 2012..

Their spine is

1. Boyd
6. Gids
7. Mullen
9. De Gois...

Interestingly they have 1 Anthony Quinn returning to Newcastle on the wing..

Nuffy

Bench
I actually think the loss of Douglas and/or Snowden will do the Sharks a world of good. There's no way they could retain one or both of them and still field a competitive side with the kind of money they'd be demanding.

Cronulla have enough forwards, time to splash out on some backs.

Geez the tits are throwing some money around, searle is going all in to try and turn the tits around.

Nuffy

Bench
This week's RLW has a possible team for 2012..

Their spine is

1. Boyd
6. Gids
7. Mullen
9. De Gois...

Interestingly they have 1 Anthony Quinn returning to Newcastle on the wing..

We need a power prop and a strike back rower unless Bennett can turn a few blokes around.

Alex28

Coach
Maybe we have but can't announce it until the takeover.

Anyway Bennett is the x factor, if he wants snowy then I reckon he'll get him.
If we miss him because we took his signing for granted and have been beaten to the punch by the Titans, then it is a massive miss and the first big failing by TSG very early in the peace. A prop of his quality is something we need BADLY.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Benny's the boss as Snowden deal pulled

Dean Ritchie and Phil Rothfield

April 21, 2011 12:00AM

ANY doubt about who is running the on-field show at Newcastle was laid to rest yesterday when Wayne Bennett overruled billionaire Nathan Tinkler on a big-money offer for boom prop Kade Snowden.

The Courier-Mail has been told Bennett was unwilling to outlay $1.6 million over four years for Snowden despite new Knights owner Tinkler admitting he made a late-night call that led to the Newcastle junior holding off re-signing with the Sharks.
Snowden, 24, is now expected to sign a new deal with Cronulla, tying him to the club until the end of 2015.

The development came on a dramatic day for player movement in the NRL, which included:
* Fellow Sharks prop Luke Douglas signing a lucrative three-year deal with Gold Coast;
* The Knights re-signing inspirational skipper Kurt Gidley until the end of 2015;
* Souths re-signing John Sutton and Nathan Merritt until the end of 2014 but now facing a $1 million battle to keep halfback Chris Sandow, who is being pursued by Parramatta, and;
* Canterbury all but securing England captain James Graham.

Snowden's retention is good news for the Sharks in the wake of losing Douglas to the Titans.

Snowden controversially rejected a Cronulla offer on February 17, despite a press release being issued declaring his retention, and he appeared certain to accept a lucrative deal with Newcastle.

However, Bennett appears to be standing firm on his edict that no prop in the NRL is worth more than $300,000 a season.

One source close to Newcastle said: "This has shown who is in charge. Don't forget, Petero Civoniceva left Brisbane on the same basis.

"He wanted more than $300,000 a season and Wayne wouldn't pay it. Simple as that."

Newcastle's original offer to Snowden, which came before Bennett signed with the club, was about $400,000 a year. That rich offer has now gone.

Sensing Newcastle's diminishing interest, Cronulla bumped up their four-year offer for Snowden to $1.6 million.

That is expected to seal the deal.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan was reluctant yesterday to admit his club was poised to re-sign Snowden, given Cronulla's press conference fiasco in February.

But asked was he confident of keeping Snowden, Flanagan said: "I'm hopeful, yes.

"I don't know when we will get a decision but I would rather it be sooner than later.

"We want to keep him. We love the kid. Kade is tough and durable and we want him to stay here at Cronulla."

Gidley confirmed he wasn't going anywhere, saying: "I'm a Newcastle boy, I played my junior football with Wests Newcastle and have followed the Knights since the club's inception in 1988.

"It was always a dream of my brother Matt and I to represent our community by playing for the Knights.

"We are lucky enough to have had the opportunity to do so."
LINK

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
We need a power prop and a strike back rower unless Bennett can turn a few blokes around.
That's probably what he is best at. St George's forward pack is the most consistent in the comp. Similar at the Broncos back in the day. Hopefully he can change ours as well

EDIT on the Snowden Pull-out.
All I can say is at least Wayne seems confident on changing our nuffy of front row into a great front row.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Here is RLW's 2012 squad speculator:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Anthony Quinn
3. Siuatonga Likiliki
4. Junior Sa'u
5. Aku Uate
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Jon Green
9. Issac De Gois
10. Kade Snowden
11. Neville Costigan
12. Cory Paterson
13. Joel Edwards

14. Chris Houston
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Matt Hilder
17. Kyle O'Donnell

I still think centre is the contentious spot - Likiliki is a long way from proving he is a long-term centre for the cub. Gidley to centre and Henry to 5/8 is still quite possible. Jon Green is an interesting name to pop up. McManus over Quinn every day of the week. Houston has to start at 13.

EDIT - Wow. Throws that speculation out the window then!

Latest posts