What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

RHCP

Bench
1. Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Siuatonga Likiliki
4. Kurt Gidley (c)
5. Akuila Uate
6. Beau Henry
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Kade Snowden
9. Issac De Gois
10. Neville Costigan
11. Zeb Taia
12. Chris Houston
13. Greg Bird

14. Matt Hilder
15. Richie Fa'aoso
16. Joel Edwards
17. Cory Paterson

Silent Knight

First Grade
Oh dear it looks like we'll have to take down our forum banner for 2012.

Beau Henry is our preferred 5/8, Dan Tolar nowhere in sight, Junior Burger Happy Meal isn't at fullback. What happened to Coastbloke's 2011 premiership winning team? It's time to flush the duds down the toilet.

My team would be largely the same as the one RHCP put up. Except I'm not sold on Likiliki just yet because I don't get the feeling he's ready to step up to FG. Although I wouldn't put it past Bennett to get him FG ready, if anyone can get a player firing it's Wayne.

And having Greg Bird in the team would be more valuable than an injury-prone Justin Hodges. It would give our pack that much needed mongrel.

jonno_knights

Juniors
As i said in the other thread, I reckon Nick Emmett will be in the squad somewhere. Not in the 17, but somewhere in the full-time squad.

Rolla

Juniors
1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Gids
4. Sau
5. Vuna (find a way)
6. Henry
7. Mullen
8. Nev
9. Degois
10. Snowy
11. House
12. Zeb
13. Bird

14. Faas
15. Pato
16. Tui
17. Taufua

Forward Cover - Hilder, Eddy, Kaufusi, Tets, KOD, Cook, Ailiomi, Redman

Back Cover - Likiliki, Mata'utia, Kev, Williams, Morseau, Roberts/Stigg

The utility Value of Boyd, Gids, Bird, Hilder, House gives us competant depth in all areas.

Would likely need a good booky and some serious 3rd party deals as well as people willing to play for WB for unders.

ballbag

Juniors
Who are going to be the 1st offloaded sorry retired sorry offered employment in the mines by Nathan? Earning 110k and not having to relocate the family might sound appealing to a few

perverse

Referee
we signed Bennett... everyone just seems to think Boyd is a sure thing. i'm not so sure, myself... but it's an interesting topic of conversation nonetheless.

how's it going anyway, Coastbloke?

we signed Bennett... everyone just seems to think Boyd is a sure thing. i'm not so sure, myself... but it's an interesting topic of conversation nonetheless.

how's it going anyway, Coastbloke?

Michael Searle just said on NRL on FOX that the Titties contacted Boyd's manager before they signed Idris because they saw him as a long term 5-8th for the club and "... we were told respectfully that Darius was not interested because he would be following Wayne".

If his manager is knocking back other offers, Boyd is ours.

K-Man

Bench
This is not necessarily what I would do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in round one:

Boyd
McManus
Sau/Signing
Likiliki/Signing
Uate
Gidley (to lock after 20-25 mins replaced by Henry; to hooker during 2nd half or whenever necessary to rest De Gois)
Mullen
Costigan (to bench after 20-25 mins, replaced by Gidley, can also play minutes at prop when he returns)
Houston
Taia / Bird? (Who knows how Zeb is going to be...)
Tuimavave
De Gois
Snowden

Henry
Paterson
Edwards
Fa'aoso

Taufua
Kaufusi
Cook
Tetevano
Tolar
O'Donnell
Kev Naiqama
Lulia
Rogers
Some outside back signings I would think

Gidley would essentiall be playing as a utility, except that he would start rather than come off the bench because he's the captain and one of the stars of the team. But I see his future as a lock/utility and I have a feeling WB will like the idea of him opening matches in the halves for his physical defence on the fringes and a simple, direct, mistake free game plan before injecting Henry. Some of the forwards would be getting slightly less minutes per game but this is not a bad thing if it keeps them fresher. We also have a ready made replacement for any backline injuries without have to actually pick a spare outside back. Once Henry's on the field Gids can pretty much go anywhere required.

I keep forgetting Zebby is potentially to retire. Please NO. He is the type of player Bennett could make extraordinary. Benny brings the cerebral into the game of players like no other.

K-Man

Bench
I keep forgetting Zebby is potentially to retire. Please NO. He is the type of player Bennett could make extraordinary. Benny brings the cerebral into the game of players like no other.

Tell me about it. It's devastating. I'm surprised we haven't heard a bit more about it by now actually, and I don't think that's a good thing to be honest.

A fully fit Zeb coached by WB could be absolutely anything. If he has to retire we will have lost our best forward by quite a stretch in my opinion.

Alex28

Coach
Any clues on how we fit Adam Blair as well as every one else under the cap?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tt-era-from-2012/story-fn2mcuj6-1226038873476

Melbourne Storm star Adam Blair tops Newcastle Knights' targets for Wayne Bennett era from 2012

That is the consensus from NRL insiders who believe Bennett already has the framework for a successful team at Newcastle. A few key men and Bennett's own considerable influence are all that is needed.

St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd is expected to follow Bennett to Newcastle and Cronulla's representative prop Kade Snowden has long been a target of the Knights.
Melbourne Storm backrower Adam Blair is shaping as the No 1 target. However, Ryan Hoffmann, Joe Picker or Tom Symonds may also come under Bennett's gaze.
The $1m bounty is part of a lucrative $10m deal Bennett struck with mining magnate Nathan Tinkler before agreeing on Tuesday to join the Knights.

Former Brisbane Broncos five-eighth and Bennett's son-in-law Ben Ikin said Bennett's ability to make players better was the key factor.
"Privately he's quite a funny bloke, what stands him apart, is that he genuinely cares for his players, when you're in his care, he really does go in to bat for you, he wants to help you become the best player and best person you can," Ikin told Triple M.
"Every Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday those blokes that don the jersey want to go out and die for him."
Taking the success at his past two clubs into account, and given Bennett's deal at the Knights includes a $500,000 bonus for every season they make the finals as well as $1 million for the first premiership he delivers, Tinkler might be dipping into his pockets on a regular basis.
Of course, there is a school of thought that Bennett has a much tougher job on his hands at the Knights than he did when he took over the Dragons in 2009. The Knights finished a disappointing 11th last season.
The Knights' roster is handy. They already have plenty of strikepower in captain Kurt Gidley, who has been a regular fixture in representative teams, and halfback Jarrod Mullen, who is in the running to wear the No 7 jumper for NSW this season.
It is widely known Bennett will take Dragons fullback Boyd with him when he leaves at the end of the season and it is believed that he could slot into the centres with Adam MacDougall and Junior Sa'u both off contract at the end of the season.
The five-eighth position could be a problem. Rookie Beau Henry was given first crack at the No.6 jumper this season before suffering an injury but it is understood that the former Dragons Toyota Cup Player of the Year was released by the club because Bennett didn't rate him.
Bennett has built his success at the Dragons on the back of prop Weyman. The Knights could deliver the master coach a similar platform to build a premiership on if Cronulla's Snowden heads up to the Hunter.
All this is missing is a strike backrower. Melbourne backrower Blair is the hottest property in the game at the moment. He has been strongly linked to the Tigers and wants a taste of Sydney life but could be swayed to join Bennett after playing under him for New Zealand at the 2009 World Cup.
Hoffman was forced out of the Storm as part of last year's salary cap scandal at the club and headed over to Wigan but only signed a one-year deal.
Symonds is off contract at the Sydney Roosters and is currently negotiating his future while Canberra is also in talks with Picker about extending his time at the Raiders.
Bennett seems to have no shortage of options to turn the Knights into a powerhouse. He may only need one to earn himself another million dollars.

Adam Blair is on fire this season. Along with Sammy Thaiday you have the best two forwards in the game right now. If Benny doesn't rate Henry it will be down to whether Boyd plays one or 6 that will probably determine where Kids slots in. I must say I am surprised about the revelation about Beau. Hopefully it is just Journos grasping at straws as per usual. Boyd at 5/8 hopefully will be just like Lockyer in his transition there if we are blessed enough. Finally we have a genuine match winner. That article suggests a massive cleanout may be on the way as much as it suggests the squad we have just needs the finishing touches put on it.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Adam Blair is on fire this season. Along with Sammy Thaiday you have the best two forwards in the game right now..

Can't agree on Blair, he was below par in the first three rounds. Had a much better game in Round 4 and I didn't get to watch last round, but his start to the year was slow IMO.

And Thaiday's effectiveness has dropped off since he's playing prop this year.

In saying that, I'd struggle to name the two top forwards in the competition at the moment...Tolman and Mannah? Excluding hookers of course...

perverse

Referee
Snowden was on absolute fire against Manly. set up both their tries and was stupidly destructive. made me drool a bit.