What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday ! Trial vs Panthers

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What i also know that is if they play the same in 2 weeks time and the referee does not penalise them for their infringements we will get destroyed because they will be getting away with murder and it is hard to win any game when you aren't allowed to play your game or allowed to progress up field.

Our attack wasn't great but at the same time when there are that many penalties when attacking the line and no action taken (they should have had 2 seperate binnings in the first half) it makes it hard to score when they are in your face as the ball is still being played.
Spot on

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ma'u was playing in the middle for Lane's try (which is why Lane was outside him). For Sivo's try, Ma'u was playing on the edge.

Lane was outside him one inside from Sivo? on the wing, Jennings is out the back behind the line, acting as the fullback would as either a decoy or an extra man should it go through the hands, Mau is tackled by the 14 ( defending three in ) and the winger (defending at centre ), the Penrith centre is defending the wing, Mau is effectively the edge forward, Lane is at centre ( which is why Lane is out side him ) and Jennings trails the play five meters directly behind the line. Alvaro, the middle forward, was the one playing the ball.

It's an edge forward type try for all money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lane was outside him one inside from Sivo? on the wing, Jennings is out the back behind the line, acting as the fullback would as either a decoy or an extra man should it go through the hands, Mau is tackled by the 14 ( defending three in ) and the winger (defending at centre ), the Penrith centre is defending the wing, Mau is effectively the edge forward, Lane is at centre ( which is why Lane is out side him ) and Jennings trails the play five meters directly behind the line. Alvaro, the middle forward, was the one playing the ball.

It's an edge forward type try for all money.
Well he's an "edge forward type" player. The point is he was where he was, with the support outside, because he was playing in the middle.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well he's an "edge forward type" player. The point is he was where he was, with the support outside, because he was playing in the middle.

Yes, but that's not the point I was making, which was that both plays were edge forward plays, regardless of the "position" he was playing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plenty of middle forwards attack on the edges. Having a middle with footwork and skill allows them to make the extra man on plays like that one. I hope we see more of Ma'u in the middle. Along with Paulo and Brown it gives us extra attacking options.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Is it just me that thinks that Nathan Cleary is just an OK player ? A solid but nothing special NRL player ? Maloney has all the tricks and steers the ship. Tell me that Cleary is not overrated merkins.

He didn't take the line on at all yesterday. Seems a bit, soft?

hindy111

Post Whore
I was there, i didn't need to read anything about the game to make my judgements......

We were top 4 in 2017 and smashed the Knights in the trial last year, what was that about bottom teams making a point in trials?

They are trials so i will take nothing from them, we have all seen good trial form translate to shit seasons and vice-versa.

Purely on last nights game i thought the Panthers defence was very good, as was ours but i saw more from our team in terms of discipline all around and general play when we had the ball. I thought the penalty count was pretty indicative of what the Panthers were doing, they were very ill disciplined and the referee actually followed through with it.

What i also know that is if they play the same in 2 weeks time and the referee does not penalise them for their infringements we will get destroyed because they will be getting away with murder and it is hard to win any game when you aren't allowed to play your game or allowed to progress up field.

Our attack wasn't great but at the same time when there are that many penalties when attacking the line and no action taken (they should have had 2 seperate binnings in the first half) it makes it hard to score when they are in your face as the ball is still being played.

The biggest lesson i learned last night though.......Panthers fans really don't know the rules of the game.........

Well the rules are always changing to be fair.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Can any eels fans tell me if Dylan brown is a #6 or #7? And has he declared his aligence to New Zealand?

Looks a real talent and at such a young age.

Gronk

Staff member
Can any eels fans tell me if Dylan brown is a #6 or #7? And has he declared his aligence to New Zealand?

Looks a real talent and at such a young age.

Both. His parents, siblings, Aunt and Uncle all moved to Sydney when he was prmoted to the full time squad.

Gronk

Staff member
I dont think him or Maloney are old school origin level. But who is the competition?
Luke Brooks,Pearce,Moses?

Not my point merkin. He is only better than Moses bc he does not do many brain farts.

He is the incumbent origin 7 and good luck to him, but he is just a link man like Trent Hodkinson was. Solid but relies on others to produce the points.