What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Dragons

captainwarrior

Juniors
I thought Hurrell was probably our best player after Matulino went off last week. At least Laumape is just as good of a player and can fill the void. Very odd though..

Good to see Peyroux get a starting spot too, I thought he was solid last week. Also good to see Henry back, I still don't think we have much of a chance of winning though. I hope I'm wrong.

One Warrior

Bench
Considering the injuries and suspensions this is a good team, however I just can't understand Hurrell being dropped and Neilsen still being there, McFadden said it was internal so it must be a discipline thing. Mannering to lock is a great move and what we have all been asking for, we are lucky Henry and Bakuya were available to return given the other injuries and suspensions, also allows Mateo to stay dropped. Apparently Locke is also available this weekend, but I guess he will come back through NSW Cup to get back match fitness.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Doesn't everyone want a coach coming in with a hard approach? but then the coach does it and people aren't happy.

If he set these standards for Hurrell, and Hurrell didn't meet them, then so be it. Let's see him take the challenge, meet those standards and be a better player as a result. Hurrell is still a long term project afaic.

Oh but Nielsen, but Tomkins, but whatever. We don't know anything about the goals being set for them, we know Hurrell obviously didn't meet his, but it's very Warriors to just try to divert the blame elsewhere of course.

Last edited:

Mike0070

Juniors
Yep , agree , does seem strange though as Hurrell is a massive attacking weapon for us , I think McFadden knows what he wants and we have been crying out for someone to take a hard nose approach with this team

In saying that , I think we will miss Hurrell this weekend , I think he is our xfactor right now

Benek

Juniors
Strange seeing Hurrell out when most of us thought we has last game's best. But given the injuries and suspension it's just about the best side we could have.

Not sold at all on Fusitua. That one worries me a bit. Would love to see Locke get that chance as backup wing once he's fit.

captainwarrior

Juniors
In saying that , I think we will miss Hurrell this weekend , I think he is our xfactor right now

I agree, especially with Matulino out too. With Johnson not offering much those two guys are our biggest weapons at the moment. Will be sorely missed I think. Laumape will do a good job but we are a better side with both Ngani and Konrad on the field.

Iafeta

Referee
Bang me swinging. That is some super weird logic there. Neilsen, the ultimate turnstyle, gives up a try on Perrett, tries to grubber on the fourth tackle, whilst in a tackle, and makes minimal impact if any with the ball, and hasn't done a thing since coming to the club keeps his spot, yet Hurrell who has been our golden hope is dropped? Give me a break, Cappy, that's ridiculous logic old son.

Wells, you're probably right, he didn't hit his KPI of 600 metres, 12 try assists, and 143 tackles with 0 misses in the game. That can be the only way the dude loses out.

MKEB...

Staff member
Is McFadden allowed to put in the ole switcheroo on game day and announce Hurrell in jumper 20?

captainwarrior

Juniors
Gee so Locke, Hurrell, Townsend and Mateo all in the NSWarriors team. Must be one of the strongest NSW Cup sides we've had, even thought Townsend and Mateo are out of form.

ozbash

Referee
And oz, if SJ does go down, who do we have other than Tui?

Chadrick ? Dunno really, Steve Waetford's a handy half as well.

Tui is only 18 iirc, bit young for the deep end..

Mike0070

Juniors
Maybe Hurrell stack on 15kgs after Sunday ? , strange selection agree with last post re fusitua he got shown up against the dragons , don't really rate him , seriously , Neilson offered zilch on Sunday apart from hopping around sideways , and then kicking on the fourth like a little girl whose scared of getting his shins kicked in.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Bang me swinging. That is some super weird logic there. Neilsen, the ultimate turnstyle, gives up a try on Perrett, tries to grubber on the fourth tackle, whilst in a tackle, and makes minimal impact if any with the ball, and hasn't done a thing since coming to the club keeps his spot, yet Hurrell who has been our golden hope is dropped? Give me a break, Cappy, that's ridiculous logic old son.

Wells, you're probably right, he didn't hit his KPI of 600 metres, 12 try assists, and 143 tackles with 0 misses in the game. That can be the only way the dude loses out.

Tackles made and tackles missed being all there is to defensive "effort" of course.

But no of course fitness freak Hurrell would never fall short in the "effort" department, what with his great career of 80 minute performances.

Don't bother setting him any targets to reach, just let him go out there and do his thing, this group of players is responsible enough.

Last edited:

Mike0070

Juniors
Elliott had sum head scratching selections for sure , but unless Konrad has been dropped for disciplinary reasons then based on Sundays performance this doesn't stack up.

Maybe McFaddens structure is based more around defence.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Seemed to me that Hurrell was better defensively than Nielson last week. Happy to see Laumape at centre, though.

Agree on both counts. Nielson repeatedly does not live up to his reputation as being a solid defender. Was the weakest link in our backline defense last week, which is saying something. Laumape transitioning to center could be huge for us if he makes a good fist of it. I'd think he'd have the agility to avoid being run around, but I guess we'll see.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
IMO he's setting a minimum standard for first grade, not just what the stats say, but all the off the ball shit that can often be the difference between being in the right place at the right time or getting there too late.

Lost track of the amount of times people used to say "give me 13 Michael Luck's over a bunch of show ponies who can't do the basics". That's not a dig at Hurrell, but rather the mentality McFadden seems to be taking from the outside looking in.

If I'm right (just theory work really) then the team's going to be better off in the long run. We had the Dogs on the ropes and tried to force it, and I think part of that comes back to players not having full trust and confidence in each other. If high minimum standards have been set and each player can run out knowing the guy next to him has met those standards too it can only be a good thing for the teams confidence and mentality when the games are close.

Either that or it's only taken one typical Warriors performance to drive AM mad. Take your pick.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Tui is 18th man, did anyone else notice SJ get hurt in the first half, he was tackled and a player slid into the back of him, got both knees up his arse. Slowed him down for remainder of game..

too soon for Tui ?
I'm guessing it's more likely to be an 18th man "experience" thing with no intention of getting any first grade time just yet. If Lolohea is a half decent chance of playing then I think Chad Townsend could rightly feel pretty pissed off.