What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Besides Teddy himself (or his manager), does anyone on here know if he is staying at WT.
I have read that WT "have tabled an offer" & the Rorters deny having any contact etc etc blah blah but to me that's akin to a coach in trouble having "the full backing of the board", they usually get the punt the next day.
I believe this guy will really be something (he is already good) & if he leaves, I for one will be devastated, particularly if it's to the Rorters.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A poor man's Moltzen.
If you had Moltzen, Quinlan would never see first grade.

Nor would Sam Williams

Or Gareth Widdop.

Moltzen can do all their jobs. You could put three more hack back rowers on the field instead.

If only you fought harder for Timmy....

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm all for retaining our talent but we can't be going overboard with $600k deals for players like Teddy. I'd be more happy to see
1st year $350k
2nd year $350k
3rd year - clause where he can negotiate up to $600k and walk out of contract if not happy.
4th year - etc

Idk much about contracts but $600k is way too much for a player that hasn't seen a full year of first grade.

Nufo and Sue would be worth $200k a season, Sironen maybe 300k.

Anything more is just ridiculous, they haven't played enough games to warrant bigger contracts

N.C.

Juniors
I'm all for retaining our talent but we can't be going overboard with $600k deals for players like Teddy. I'd be more happy to see
1st year $350k
2nd year $350k
3rd year - clause where he can negotiate up to $600k and walk out of contract if not happy.
4th year - etc

Idk much about contracts but $600k is way too much for a player that hasn't seen a full year of first grade.

Anything more is just ridiculous, they haven't played enough games to warrant bigger contracts

Unless there's a shortage of talent on the market when your contract is up for renewal... Rival clubs may have no genuine interest, but if they're clever (which some of them clearly are) they can talk up his price. Thus his retention will put a greater strain on our cap than it otherwise would. I suppose this is what "running your club as a business" looks like - you make the most of any advantage you can gain over your competitors.

bjm8

Juniors

There in lies the dilemma. If we can't justify paying him above what he's worth based on promise alone, then the Rorters or Bullfrogs with their never ending cheque book & invisible salary cap will.

Same situation with Fafita, we weren't willing to fork out the dough (probably because Sheens spent it all on Blair). At the time it would've been overs but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st year $350k
2nd year $350k
4th year - etc

while that may be common sense, if we want to keep the bloke then that sort of thinking will see you lose all your star players.

Gotta shell out the bikkies if you want to keep your talent.

super_coach

First Grade
Very simple case of demand and supply. You have to pay the market price or better.

Teddy's manager might have put a few porkies around to force up his market value, but at the end of the day the Tigers have to pay up if they wants his signature because their will be clubs who will not think twice to get a class no1.

Its a catch 22 situation for the tigers, we need to sign up all these players to entice sponsorship, third party partners and punters to our club but at present we dont have enough of these things to generate the money to be able to afford these players.

My drift on the situation is we are madly trying to offload a couple of contracts in order to balance the books,just like in Humpty"s days

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Hope you keep him.

Looks good for another round of Tigers / Dragons rivalry in the next few years.

Surely he will stay.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very simple case of demand and supply. You have to pay the market price or better.

Teddy's manager might have put a few porkies around to force up his market value, but at the end of the day the Tigers have to pay up if they wants his signature because their will be clubs who will not think twice to get a class no1.

Its a catch 22 situation for the tigers, we need to sign up all these players to entice sponsorship, third party partners and punters to our club but at present we dont have enough of these things to generate the money to be able to afford these players.

My drift on the situation is we are madly trying to offload a couple of contracts in order to balance the books,just like in Humpty"s days

Blair is, key, lose him and we can upgrade two of these kids on good deals (Brooks and Sironen most likely).

super_coach

First Grade
My info is both Brooks and Mosses on mind blowing money considering their age and experience. Blair,Moltzen and BMM would be the obvious players to shop around

Sironen- very injury prone needs some game time to see he's worthy of being upgraded. Club has stuck by him with his torrid run of injuries but at some stage a line in the sand has to be drawn. Too many quality kids coming through. Players at other clubs for example, Luke Lewis who are tremendous when right but always seem to be injured and of no value for big coin. Seems as if it's always going to be this way with him.

Those 3 seem to be the obvious for sure super coach but I wonder if Jack Buchanan is in their plans?

Wests are attempting to clear further space by off-loading Ben Murdoch-Masilla, who is contracted for another 18 months.

We’ve heard he’s been shopped to Cronulla.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...bbitohs-debutant/story-fni3fbgz-1226866636864

They will also have to address the 2nd tier contracted players in the NSW Cup squad again at years end like they did last year Meaney, Utai & Groat for example.

Ghipo

Juniors
Pretty sure the Storm just kept extending his contract, instead of letting it run to its end.

Smart way to do things really. Treat em well, keep them happy, takes managers out of the equation.

The information Mayer released to the papers last week about a lucrative contract being offered did nothing to treat Tedesco well or keep him happy. These dealing should be kept confidential.

Mayer had ample time to work all this out in the off season yet decided to spend his time on twitter asking fans what Tedesco was worth and then continues to leak information to the media. There is only so much a guy will put up with.

I haven't seen Raylene Castles play anything out in the media all her negotiations are confidential and you only hear about them once they are done.

Tedesco is the best off contract fullback available on the market as well as a local Wests player but banking on him staying by leaking BS to the media is a dangerous game.

BrotherJim05

Bench
The information Mayer released to the papers last week about a lucrative contract being offered did nothing to treat Tedesco well or keep him happy. These dealing should be kept confidential.

Mayer had ample time to work all this out in the off season yet decided to spend his time on twitter asking fans what Tedesco was worth and then continues to leak information to the media. There is only so much a guy will put up with.

I haven't seen Raylene Castles play anything out in the media all her negotiations are confidential and you only hear about them once they are done.

Tedesco is the best off contract fullback available on the market as well as a local Wests player but banking on him staying by leaking BS to the media is a dangerous game.

I think your reading into this too much. Mayer has been fantastic at retaining our talent and would have strategic reasons for everything he has done.

He knows what he's doing

I think MU right, we have only played 3 games this season and the money getting mentioned seems rediculous for these young players who have yet to consistenly perform and endure a full season successfully.
Dont get me wrong ,i hope they can all stay and get paid accordingly !

Latest posts