What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THANK YOU

greeneyed

First Grade
eelsta said:
ken arthurson= legend :clap: :clap: someone who didnt take the money from murdoch :evil: well done arko :clap: :clap:

No... he just took money from Packer, after selling out the league TV rights cheap..... :roll:

Kiwi

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

To diehard and cliffy. The rest of you haven't even put forward an argument?
thanks mate
blokes like peewee cant have a debate their not intellgent enough so they throw in some sexual inuendo and act smug and hope it gets them by

I can debate, I choose not to with you.

RABK

Referee
Some great points made there by both Cliffy and Balmain Boy. :clap: Raider 69 you just got owned and Cliffy spot on about Pee wee.

DIEHARD

----
greeneyed said:
eelsta said:
ken arthurson= legend :clap: :clap: someone who didnt take the money from murdoch :evil: well done arko :clap: :clap:

There was no other solvent TV networks idiot.

Who do you expect him to sell them too?

PIXIELAND TV INC? :roll:

Ch 9 was the only option.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate
blokes like peewee cant have a debate their not intellgent enough so they throw in some sexual inuendo and act smug and hope it gets them by

i know because you undoubtly lack the intelect to do so.

But its ok peewee im sure mr potter will make u feel better about ureself, hes the king of properganda just look at his adds.

DIEHARD

----
INSIDE OUT - ROY MASTERS said:
When Ch 10 reneged on its free to air deal with the then NSWRL, Quayle unsuccessfully attempted to convince cricket, aussie rules, rugby union and soccer to pool funds to establish a sports network. They declined. The NSWRL was forced to offer the free to air rights to the only solvent TV network at the time - Ch 9 - which also inherited the pay TV rights. So much for Quayle being a Packer lackey

Ch 7 and Ch 10 were bankrupt. ;-)

gumby.jpg

DIEHARD

----
ARKO - Ken Athurson Biography said:
Back home by then, other factors were emerging. Canberra were later to defend the Super League path they took with the claim that they had reached a final point of frustration with Phillip St over a claimed lack of support in their attempts to hang on to star players Ricky Stuart and Bradley Clyde in the wake of rumoured huge bids from the Kerry Packer - Supported Easts. Les McIntyre and Kevin Neil came to Sydney to see me about it, and express their concerns. They told me of the dilemma they believed they faced - of Easts luring the two players away with offers that were just too huge to refuse. I told them that I wasn't happy about such a situation if it was the case, but there was nothing I could do. It had been ever thus in rugby league, clubs now and then signed players from other clubs, sometimes paying far more money than they should have.

At that meeting something happened which neither Neil or McIntyre could ever deny - they swore they would never participate in a competition which wasn't under the control of the ARL. I'll be frank - I shared their concerns about Stuart and Clyde. Of course, they didn't want to lose two such players. But under the League's rules, what could be done? Our game ran on a free market basis. Neil told me subsequently that he had rung Ken Cowley and Cowley had said to him "Don't worry about it - we'll buy them for you." And that was how News Ltd got the Raiders into the net.

Kiwi

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate

But its ok peewee im sure mr potter will make u feel better about ureself, hes the king of properganda just look at his adds.

No I choose not too because of the way you behave, do I need to post the conversation as a reminder of your "intellect"?

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Back home by then, other factors were emerging. Canberra were later to defend the Super League path they took with the claim that they had reached a final point of frustration with Phillip St over a claimed lack of support in their attempts to hang on to star players Ricky Stuart and Bradley Clyde in the wake of rumoured huge bids from the Kerry Packer - Supported Easts. Les McIntyre and Kevin Neil came to Sydney to see me about it, and express their concerns. They told me of the dilemma they believed they faced - of Easts luring the two players away with offers that were just too huge to refuse. I told them that I wasn't happy about such a situation if it was the case, but there was nothing I could do. It had been ever thus in rugby league, clubs now and then signed players from other clubs, sometimes paying far more money than they should have.

At that meeting something happened which neither Neil or McIntyre could ever deny - they swore they would never participate in a competition which wasn't under the control of the ARL. I'll be frank - I shared their concerns about Stuart and Clyde. Of course, they didn't want to lose two such players. But under the League's rules, what could be done? Our game ran on a free market basis. Neil told me subsequently that he had rung Ken Cowley and Cowley had said to him "Don't worry about it - we'll buy them for you." And that was how News Ltd got the Raiders into the net.
hahahah where is greeneyed
SHUT DOWN

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate

No I choose not too because of the way you behave, do I need to post the conversation as a reminder of your "intellect"?
Tsk Tsk Kiwi that would be against the members guidelines of this forum

POSTING PRIVATE MATERIAL
Posting another member's private information without permission is forbidden. This includes photographs, private conversations or private details about another member's circumstances.
There may be exceptions but this is at the discretion of management and depends on the nature of the complaint.

DIEHARD

----
Compare the playing rosters of Easts then and Raiders then. And then explain to me the purpose of a salary cap.

You know the thing you breached in 1990, the year you won the competition?

I'll be discussing that in an upcoming post... ;-)

greeneyed

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
greeneyed said:
eelsta said:

There was no other solvent TV networks idiot.

Who do you expect him to sell them too?

PIXIELAND TV INC? :roll:

Ch 9 was the only option.

That situation would clearly not last. Channel 7 was not insolvent, Channel 10 was in difficulty. This is why it was stupid of Arthurson to sell for so long and not recognise the possible emergence of pay TV.

greeneyed

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
Compare the playing rosters of Easts then and Raiders then. And then explain to me the purpose of a salary cap.

The Raiders did not breach the salary cap in 1989. The Raiders breached the 1990 cap by a small amount... about the same amount that dozens of clubs have breached the cap by subsequently, including Easts when they recently won the premiership. The reason? The Raiders were on incentive contracts, so when so many of them came through to make rep sides, they pushed us over. The breach in 1990 was miniscule, as everyone knows. The POTENTIAL breach in 1991 was much larger, but the club and players took corrective action to ensure it wasn't breached. So there was no breach in 1991. This year the Raiders did not win the Premiership. The Raiders shed players as they were penalised with a REDUCTION in their salary cap..... that sort of penalty is something no other club, including the Bulldogs has ever received. Despite common allegations, from those with addled brains, the Raiders came back to win the 1994 Premiership having dealth with the lower cap.......

Kiwi

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate

POSTING PRIVATE MATERIAL
Posting another member's private information without permission is forbidden. This includes photographs, private conversations or private details about another member's circumstances.
There may be exceptions but this is at the discretion of management and depends on the nature of the complaint.

Fine

how about this.

ANYONE who wants a copy of CliffyGC's antics feel free to pm me

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate

POSTING PRIVATE MATERIAL

Fine

how about this.

meh kiwi you have nothing

DIEHARD

----
So let's talk about the Raiders salary cap breach in 1990. You know the $500,000 breach the year you won the Premiership.

The Bulldogs were stripped of all their points in 2002 for breaching the cap by what something like $1,000,000.

And the Raiders breach was 12 years prior and they won the damn Premiership.

Don't sit there and tell me you deserve that 1990 trophy!

Anyone have the inflation rate since 1990? I got my calculator ready.

greeneyed

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
DIEHARD said:

hahahah where is greeneyed
SHUT DOWN

Arthurson knew that these offers could not have been made while Easts complied with NRL rules. He clearly took delight in the Raiders team being dismantled, as he could not stand non Sydney teams being so strong. His public statements made it clear that he wanted to see the Raiders go the way of Souths... a team with a strong playing roster that was raped by Manly.... He didn't care. He wanted the likes of Manly and Easts to prosper at the expense of "upstart" teams.

I cannot believe you people cannot see through him. He was simply pushing the interests of the club he came from. This was the great drawback of the Arthurson/Quale dictatorship... they were running the league in the interests of Manly and Easts... the Packer clubs. And this is why it all came unstiched.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
greeneyed said:
DIEHARD said:

The Raiders did not breach the salary cap in 1989. The Raiders breached the 1990 cap by a small amount... about the same amount that dozens of clubs have breached the cap by subsequently, including Easts when they recently won the premiership. The reason? The Raiders were on incentive contracts, so when so many of them came through to make rep sides, they pushed us over. The breach in 1990 was miniscule, as everyone knows. The POTENTIAL breach in 1991 was much larger, but the club and players took corrective action to ensure it wasn't breached. So there was no breach in 1991. This year the Raiders did not win the Premiership. The Raiders shed players as they were penalised with a REDUCTION in their salary cap..... that sort of penalty is something no other club, including the Bulldogs has ever received. Despite common allegations, from those with addled brains, the Raiders came back to win the 1994 Premiership having dealth with the lower cap.......
i think u will find it was alot more than a small breach
u also gotta think of the time
back then the cap was `1.3 million so u cant compare a breach of say 300 000 back then to 300 000 today, see greeneye theres this little thing called inflation.

greeneyed

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
So let's talk about the Raiders salary cap breach in 1990. You know the $500,000 breach the year you won the Premiership.

The Bulldogs were stripped of all their points in 2002 for breaching the cap by what something like $1,000,000.

And the Raiders breach was 12 years prior and they won the damn Premiership.

Don't sit there and tell me you deserve that 1990 trophy!

Anyone have the inflation rate since 1990? I got my calculator ready.

It was not that amount. It was a few thousand in 1990.

Kiwi

First Grade
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Kiwi said:
Cliffy GC said:
Balmain_Boy said:

thanks mate

POSTING PRIVATE MATERIAL

Fine

how about this.

meh kiwi you have nothing

I still have your dummy spit, never got around to deleting it.