What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
Keep the McIntyre system. If anything, this week was a shining endorsement for it. Boo f**king hoo, Brisbane has to play Melbourne. Should have finished higher on the ladder then.

Gaba

First Grade
Its the finals and the reward for higher ranked teams is week 1 and if they cant win they they deserve to lose the week 2 advantage

i prefer a knockout only final series thats the fairest way if it happened this year

week 1

teams 1,4,6,7 would be out

remaining

teams 2,3,5,8

week 3 grand final

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Its the finals and the reward for higher ranked teams is week 1 and if they cant win they they deserve to lose the week 2 advantage

i prefer a knockout only final series thats the fairest way if it happened this year

week 1

teams 1,4,6,7 would be out

remaining

teams 2,3,5,8

week 3 grand final

Geez you are an idiot Gaba....then what is the point of coming 1st v's 8th?

Makes no sense what so ever. The top place team don't deserve to lose their home advantage in the 2nd week and the 8th place team certainly shouldn't warrant a home game. Not taking anything away from the Warriors but to finish 8th and get rewarded with a home match is just crazy. Time to go with what the AFL have.

Then why bother with the middle games (3 v 6 and 4 v 5) then. If you can't beat your week 1 opponent, you don't deserve a home final. Melbourne only have them selves to blame for their upcoming trip to Suncorp. Warriors beat the minor premiers, the Roosters can't beat the side in 5th, why do the Roosters deserve a home semi against the Warriors then?

It's finals time now, rounds 1-26 mean sweet f*ck all from here on in.

Special K

Coach
Then why bother with the middle games (3 v 6 and 4 v 5) then. If you can't beat your week 1 opponent, you don't deserve a home final. Melbourne only have them selves to blame for their upcoming trip to Suncorp. Warriors beat the minor premiers, the Roosters can't beat the side in 5th, why do the Roosters deserve a home semi against the Warriors then?

I agree

The only thing I don't like is that teams don't get a say. So for example had the storm won I would of liked to of seen the sharks been able to move the game away from the roosters at the SFS. I don't think they should be rewarded with a home game by default. They should have to earn it like everyone else

5 week final 8 as follows- 25 rounds - 24 games and bye plus 5 week finals-30 weeks as now

week 1- 1/4 finals

A) 1(h) v 4
B) 2(h)v 3

Winners advance to week 3 - losers to week 2
---------
C) 5(h) v 8
D) 6(h) v 7

winners advance to week 2 - losers eliminated

week 2 - qualifying finals

E) loser A V Winner D
F) loser b v Winner C

losers eliminated

week 3- G/F Qualifier 1(G) and semi final(H)

G) Winner A V Winner B

Winner to week 5 Grandfinal - Loser to week 4

H) Winner E V Winner F

Winner to week 4 - loser eliminated

week 4- g/f qualifier 2

I) Loser G V Winner H

winner to week 5 grandfinal and loser eliminated

week 5- Grandfinal

J) Winner G V Winner I

Razor

Coach
Cronulla and the Roosters was NEVER going to be at the SFS.
[/quote]

Yes it was. 2nd and 3rd week is "home city", not "home ground". They are played at grounds of a minimum size - of which SFS and ANZ are the only 2 in Sydney that size.

the fact is teams should not be eliminated because of results of other games they are not involved in such as canberra when the warriors won

the 1 v 4 / 2 v 3(winners advance and losers play winners of the elimination games) and the elimination games of 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 is a far better concept but as i said the 8 team final series should be played over 5 weeks.

adamkungl

Immortal

Absolutely right. The top 4, especially the top 2, have everything stacked in their favour. That's how the system is designed. If they can't take advantage of this, then it puts them down to everyone elses level in week 2. Imo a home semi in NZ is the perfect reward for knocking off the minor premiers. No complaints from me. Great system.

Loudstrat

Coach
I agree

The only thing I don't like is that teams don't get a say. So for example had the storm won I would of liked to of seen the sharks been able to move the game away from the roosters at the SFS. I don't think they should be rewarded with a home game by default. They should have to earn it like everyone else

Same thging happened last year. Para beat Worriers, Cowpats flogged Dogs.

Then eels played Dogs at Dogs home ground - ANZ.

And we flogged 'em.

Stop ya whinging Cronulla. Just because you are out of your normal routine = fishing trip in September.

Same thging happened last year. Para beat Worriers, Cowpats flogged Dogs.

Then eels played Dogs at Dogs home ground - ANZ.

And we flogged 'em.

Stop ya whinging Cronulla. Just because you are out of your normal routine = fishing trip in September.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Cowpats only win by 2 points against the Bulldogs in the 3v6 game last year? not really a flogging.

Charlie124

First Grade
Thats correct, Cows won 20 to 18.

Id say the "flogging" he was thinking of was the week before, also against the dogs, the record books show a 6 point win to the Cows but that scoreline flatters the dogs bigtime, we were flogging them to the extent that Thurston came off. They ran in a few late tries but it was over by then.

Loudstrat

Coach
Whenever the Dogs lose I celebrate like it was a flogging.

And going by their 08 form, 2 points would be a flogging :)

Game_Breaker

Coach

Exactly

If Melbourne didnt want to lose their advantage then they shouldve won. They couldnt beat the 8th place team at home, but Brisbane beat the 4th placed team away, so Brisbane deserve a home city final.

Its the semis now, if you want to make it to the GF then start winning. It seems people are whinging and want to do the least amount of work as possible.

Btw, I dont like the current AFL system. The idea of the top 4 teams playing each other in the first week doesnt sound good to me.

bobbis

Juniors
I'm just wondering why the highest placed winner is playing the highest placed loser, and the lowest placed loser plays the lowest placed winner. Obviously in a rational and fair system the highest placed winner would play the lowest placed loser, but that would mean simply replaying the same games as last week end. Given this completely irrational outcome this absurd system needs to be scraped.

Gaba

First Grade
Actually the warriors deserve an home ground advantage they beat the team coming 1st and the warriors are going to play against a team who lost to a lower ranked team

as with the broncos deserve to have the home game advantage against the storm who lost to the lowest ranked team

If the other teams who are higher ranked and lost to lower ranked teams should lost their home ground advantage.

Thats why the nrl finals system is more fairer then the afl system

In the the afl system the higher teams can get flogged in week 1 and still get another advantage in week 2

they already had one advantage with the 2nd chance , they dont deserve another advantage after a lost

the finals is a new competition
the rewards are in week 1 if a team loses then they lost the advantage no matter where they come

I dont know why people would cry if the roosters or sharks did get knocked out in week 1 after finishing 3rd or 4th , if they couldnt beat a lower ranked team on their home ground, imo they deserve to be a chance of getting knocked out in week 1

Last edited:

sydraider

First Grade
Al we ever hear from pro Mcintyre supporters are that the finals are a new competition alteogether, if thats the case then whats the problem with the top four playing each other for a week off and the bottom four playing each other for survival?

If the raiders had of got up on sat night, then the roosters would have been eliminated, that is hardly fair considering they finished top four.

The AFL system is much better and teams are rewarded according to their finish.

Gaba

First Grade
Al we ever hear from pro Mcintyre supporters are that the finals are a new competition alteogether, if thats the case then whats the problem with the top four playing each other for a week off and the bottom four playing each other for survival?

If the raiders had of got up on sat night, then the roosters would have been eliminated, that is hardly fair considering they finished top four.

The AFL system is much better and teams are rewarded according to their finish.

the teams are rewarded in week 1 which is fair , so why should team 3 & 4 who possibly could be flogged by team 1 and 2 , get rewarded in week 2 ?

it shows how stupid the afl system is , reward loses with home grounds even though they already been rewarded with a 2nd chance and giving winners of week 1 the disadvantage in week 2 , even though both sides are now on equal par

The roosters and sharks should beat the lower ranked teams, if they cant beat lower ranked teams in week 1 how are they expect to win the grand final. They are going to meet the lower ranked teams in week 2 or in week 3 so what is the difference in week 1

That is what the finals are to see who is the better team , not the rankings if the finals were based on ranking teams 5 to 8 might well not bother playing

Last edited: