What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

sydraider

First Grade
The roosters and sharks should beat the lower ranked teams, if they cant beat lower ranked teams in week 1 how are they expect to win the grand final.

That is what the finals are to see who is the better team , not the rankings

They should only have to play the lower ranked teams if they arent good enough to earn a week off, the other system has the same merits and is much fairer.

Gaba

First Grade
They should only have to play the lower ranked teams if they arent good enough to earn a week off, the other system has the same merits and is much fairer.

If they arent good enough to beat the better teams then they dont deserve to be in the grand final.

How is the other system fairer to the teams who are winners ?

In fact what is the point of having a final series just let 1 vs 2 play the grand final even though they might not be the best teams in the finals

Last edited:

sydraider

First Grade
Well actually I prefer a top 5 format but since the NRl wants to milk a few extra games I would like to see a better finals format, the current one is a farce.

26 rounds of football is a lot to play for 1 week's worth of advantage.

AFL system is much better. You spend 26 weeks earning a top 4 position, you deserve more.

mepelthwack

Juniors
If they arent good enough to beat the better teams then they dont deserve to be in the grand final.

Why do McIntyre apologists always say these kinds of things?

In 05 when the Cowboys had 50 on them after coming 5th and still making the Grand Final, did the above statement apply to them?

McIntyre flaws are not something new. The system is riddled with flaws.

Those saying Melbourne are getting what they deserved wow maybe that is so but do Brisbane deserve their 'reward' ??

Get real.

The McIntyre System is garbage and needs to go.

Not much wrong with the system, apart from how we can get a home semi after finishing 8th. That`s a bit odd, though I won`t complain hehe. Otherwise the top teams get plenty of reward for finishing high in the regular season. Just ask Manly and the Sharks.

I don`t see why the Broncos should suddenly start to panic knowing they`re playing the Storm. The Storm are going to Brisbane for a good reason: They are far from invincible.

Trust me, the Broncos are much happier to play the Storm at home, than they would be to play in Auckland.

Hass

Juniors
The top 5 system would never work in a 16 team comp.

Yes, 1988-1994 was just a figment of my imagination.

We had 16 teams, a top 5 and the fairest finals system going around.

As each year ticks by more and more people forget what life was like with a final five - which is a shame, because it was bloody good.

But if we must have final 8 then the McIntyre system is not it. Do we need any further proof than Brisbane's ridiculous draw? Had they lost on Friday night they'd be playing the Warriors. By winning they get to play Melbourne. Brisbane getting a home final is the only thing stopping the situation from being completely farcical.

The test of a good system is usually the absence of people whinging about it. People didn't whinge about the final five, people don't whinge about the final eight in the AFL, but each year there is plenty of whinging about the McIntyre system. People are whinging for a reason.

Cheers.

*Paul*

Juniors
Geez you are an idiot Gaba....then what is the point of coming 1st v's 8th?

Exactly.. what is the point of the regular season.. but merely to provide a minor "barrier draw" advantage, if you will, which as we saw can be evaporated immediately.

The fact that 8th can win the premiership entirely negates the previous 26 rounds. The finals is a new comp, and may as well be knockout. Every one knows what needs to done, and there are no meaningless games.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
People should just get over Melbourne playing the Bronco's.. After all, who should Melbourne play? Souths??? They just lost to the 8th placed team at home so they don't really deserve an easier match this weekend. You can't have the 2 teams that lost playing each other, and surely Manly and the Sharks deserve the week off..

For what it's worth, barring one occassion, the 2 winners from the second week of matches have always come from the one match the previous week.. Usually the less intense match.. So based on this, I would expect the Storm and the Warriors to win through this weekend.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Seems a bit rigged ay... Teams 5 and 6 get a home final under that system but teams 3 and 4 who played better in the season don't get one.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scrap mcIntyre. I reckon this would be better

Week 1
Game A - 1v3
Game B - 2v4
Game C - 5v7 - loser eliminated
Game D - 6v8 - loser eliminated

Week 2
Game E - Winner Game C v Winner Game D - loser eliminated
Game F - Loser Game A v Loser Game B - loser eliminated

Week 3
Game G - Winner Game E v Winner Game F - Loser eliminated
Game H - Winner Game A v Winner Game B

Week 4
Game I - Loser Game H v Winner Game G - Loser Eliminated

Week 5 - Grand Final
Game J - Winner Game H v Winner Game I

Or if we were to have 6 teams

Week 1
A: 1v2
B: 3v4
C: 5v6 - loser eliminated

Week 2
D: Winner C v Loser B - loser eliminated
E: Winner B v Loser A

Week 3
F: Winner D v Loser E - loser eliminated
G: Winner A v Winner E

Week 4
H: Winner F v Loser G - loser eliminated

Week 5 - Grand Final
I: Winner G v Winner H

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
I'm sick of all the bullsh*t being directed at the Mcintire system. I heard Hadley attacking Gallop about it the other day on the radio and being dumbfounded why we don't have the AFL system. There's nothing wrong with preferring the AFL system over ours but at least see that both systems have a lot wrong with them. These systems were devised by people who spent a hell of a lot of time thinking about them. Very good arguments can be made for and against both. I am very sure there is no brilliant way of structuring the finals with 8 teams that hasn't been thought of yet.

The 8 team format poses limitations and thats what we are seeing. No matter what format you choose there will be 100 arguments against it and little things you can argue. I heard Hadey arguing that third wasn't getting a big enough reward seeing as they finished on equal points as first. I mean f**k me. What about the year when third finished 10 points behind first. Will they change the finals system just to punish third sufficiently. It's all such picky crap. I can't stand the arrogance and naivety of thinking other 8 team systems will be vastly superior. They won't so deal with it. If anyone should be pissed it should be me. My team has to play Melbourne in week 2 after a good win. I'm not angry though because I understand the finals have to work somehow and if Brisbane are going to win it they should be able to beat everybody. You could argue the Broncos are advantaged as they get to play the storm at home rather than away the next week so there's 2 sides to everything.

If you want an 5 team final series thats fine. That would be fairer. However stop all this stupid bitching about which 8 team finals series is best. It's a flawed concept to begin with.

Hanscholo

Bench
I'm sick of all the bullsh*t being directed at the Mcintire system. I heard Hadley attacking Gallop about it the other day on the radio and being dumbfounded why we don't have the AFL system. There's nothing wrong with preferring the AFL system over ours but at least see that both systems have a lot wrong with them. These systems were devised by people who spent a hell of a lot of time thinking about them. Very good arguments can be made for and against both. I am very sure there is no brilliant way of structuring the finals with 8 teams that hasn't been thought of yet.

The 8 team format poses limitations and thats what we are seeing. No matter what format you choose there will be 100 arguments against it and little things you can argue. I heard Hadey arguing that third wasn't getting a big enough reward seeing as they finished on equal points as first. I mean f**k me. What about the year when third finished 10 points behind first. Will they change the finals system just to punish third sufficiently. It's all such picky crap. I can't stand the arrogance and naivety of thinking other 8 team systems will be vastly superior. They won't so deal with it. If anyone should be pissed it should be me. My team has to play Melbourne in week 2 after a good win. I'm not angry though because I understand the finals have to work somehow and if Brisbane are going to win it they should be able to beat everybody. You could argue the Broncos are advantaged as they get to play the storm at home rather than away the next week so there's 2 sides to everything.

If you want an 5 team final series thats fine. That would be fairer. However stop all this stupid bitching about which 8 team finals series is best. It's a flawed concept to begin with.

Amen...There is nothing wrong with the system. Winning = Goood, Losing = Bad. Im so tired of hearing how unfair it is. It is extremely fair, and if you get punted out, guess why???? cause u lost, f**k off.

Swiftstylez

Bench
quit spamming message boards...

He is creating conversation mate, something that posts like this do very little of.

I agree, wait until the season is over and it will be decided again as to which system we are going to use. At the moment all the teams knew that this was the system what was going to be used this year and they should be working around that. If you are good enough under this system you will win, however. I think that if 1st or 2nd gets beaten twice then they don't deserve to be in the Grand Final anyway. I just worry about a quality team slipping up in the semis before the Grand Final.

I've seen this system tossed up in previous years, it is fairly similar to the McIntyre system, but is a bit tighter.

we'll assume all the higher ranked sides win
WEEK 1
3 v 8
4 v 7
5 v 6
1 and 2 have the week off
the 2 lowest ranked losers are eliminated.

WEEK 2
1 v 6 (highest loser)
2 v 5 (lowest winner)
3 v 4 (highest winner and second highest winner)
same concept as week 1, the 2 lowest losers are out)

WEEK 3
1 v 4 (highest winner v highest loser)
2 v 3 (middle winner v lowest winner)

Week 4
Grand Final (I think you can work out how to get this from week 3)

bazza

Immortal
People love to complain about something
If they change the finals format they will complain about the new one as well