What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Game_Breaker

Coach
Shazam was pretty good
Definitely DCs best movie so far, and more enjoyable than a few Marvel films - the real captain marvel I’ll add

Good plot, great characters, strong villain, humour was actually funny

7.5/10

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
What’s everyone’s thoughts on watching it on IMAX??

Apparently IW was the first film ever to be filmed entirely in IMAX... endgame has too...

I’ve never seen an IMAX film before but was considering going to watch this one in IMAX.

shiznit

Coach
I know it’s over a year old... but this fanmade cartoon always cracks me up...

images

bileduct

Coach
What’s everyone’s thoughts on watching it on IMAX??

Apparently IW was the first film ever to be filmed entirely in IMAX... endgame has too...

I’ve never seen an IMAX film before but was considering going to watch this one in IMAX.
No, Infinity War was the first movie to be shot entirely with IMAX/Arri digital cameras.

Movies shot entirely on IMAX 15/70mm film have been around since the 70s, though they are mainly foreign movies and documentaries.

shiznit

Coach
No, Infinity War was the first movie to be shot entirely with IMAX/Arri digital cameras.

Movies shot entirely on IMAX 15/70mm film have been around since the 70s, though they are mainly foreign movies and documentaries.
Is that a big deal?? As I’ve said I’ve never watched an imax film before...

I’ve asked two people so far and 1 said it’s amazing and changes how you watch film...

The 2nd said it’s just the same on a steeper angle and obviously bigger screen...

He basically said go to a regular cinema and sit in the front row... it’s the same effect for 2/3rds the price...

bileduct

Coach
Is that a big deal?? As I’ve said I’ve never watched an imax film before...

I’ve asked two people so far and 1 said it’s amazing and changes how you watch film...

The 2nd said it’s just the same on a steeper angle and obviously bigger screen...

He basically said go to a regular cinema and sit in the front row... it’s the same effect for 2/3rds the price...
So there are three things with IMAX - screen size, cropping and resolution.

The larger the screen size the more immersive the experience will be. But not all IMAX screens are created equally. From what I understand the Darling Harbour IMAX is still the biggest IMAX screen in the world, but it is currently being rebuilt and won't be finished until 2020. Other IMAX screens may be the same size or only slightly larger than your average Hoyts Xtreme Screen.

IMAX presentations are generally full horizontal and vertical format, while their general release counterparts are cropped at the edges. So an IMAX presentation should theoretically give you more to look at than you would see in a regular cinema.

The IMAX film format also allows for far greater resolution than you'd get from ordinary 35mm film. But that's film only, which is superior to the digital format. Most IMAX theaters use digital projectors these days, so there's not much of a difference in this area.

I'd definitely go and see it at Darling Harbour when it reopens, but I'm not sure it would be worth it on smaller screens.

shiznit

Coach
Sweet.... that’s exactly what I was needing to know...

My mate told me the Auckland one was the 3rd largest or something...

But it’s an hour trip from where we live to get into Auckland city... where the local cinema is 5mins up the road...

I might look into it...

Generalzod

Immortal
https://cosmicbook.news/disney-lying-captain-marvel-box-office-numbers

More controversy hits the net surrounding Captain Marvel as it is suggested that Disney may be faking the numbers and lying about thefilm's high box office reported to be $153 million domestically, with a $455.7 million global haul.

Users on social media have been posting screenshots of their local movie theaters where screenings for Captain Marvel are empty. I can also add that none of my local theaters had sold out shows, including the Thursday previews, with 3D screenings being particularly empty (that I noticed).

bileduct

Coach
https://cosmicbook.news/disney-lying-captain-marvel-box-office-numbers

More controversy hits the net surrounding Captain Marvel as it is suggested that Disney may be faking the numbers and lying about thefilm's high box office reported to be $153 million domestically, with a $455.7 million global haul.

Users on social media have been posting screenshots of their local movie theaters where screenings for Captain Marvel are empty. I can also add that none of my local theaters had sold out shows, including the Thursday previews, with 3D screenings being particularly empty (that I noticed).
I gotta call bullshit on this.

This story first circulated when a few people took photos of near empty Captain Marvel screenings close to opening day. Captain Marvel opened in 4,310 theaters in the US alone, across multiple screens in each. It would not be unusual for screenings at particular times, such as during the middle of a working day or the very last screening of an evening to have smaller numbers of viewers. I saw the Last Jedi in the morning after opening night and the screening was lucky to be 10% full.

Then another story started circulating that Disney were buying up seats to bolster numbers, based on an anonymous theater manager saying he had on average 25 no shows per screening for people that bought tickets in advance. That's right, one anonymous manager.

These stories get hyped up by Youtube troll channels like Geeks + Gamers and end up on clickbait sites like Cosmic Book News that have mastered the art of milking the shit out of people with negative attitudes towards not only Disney franchises, but anything that has a hint of being "woke."

Springs09

Juniors
The only IMAX film I watched was Captain Phillips. Shaky cam on a ship. I literally got seasick. Don't watch shaky cam films in IMAX.

Matua

Bench
I gotta call bullshit on this.

This story first circulated when a few people took photos of near empty Captain Marvel screenings close to opening day. Captain Marvel opened in 4,310 theaters in the US alone, across multiple screens in each. It would not be unusual for screenings at particular times, such as during the middle of a working day or the very last screening of an evening to have smaller numbers of viewers. I saw the Last Jedi in the morning after opening night and the screening was lucky to be 10% full.

Then another story started circulating that Disney were buying up seats to bolster numbers, based on an anonymous theater manager saying he had on average 25 no shows per screening for people that bought tickets in advance. That's right, one anonymous manager.

These stories get hyped up by Youtube troll channels like Geeks + Gamers and end up on clickbait sites like Cosmic Book News that have mastered the art of milking the shit out of people with negative attitudes towards not only Disney franchises, but anything that has a hint of being "woke."
Man, these guys are pathetic, you can see the tears dripping through the internet. However, they do make me chuckle, they really need to go out and get a life.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i saw avatar at IMAX, was awesome. I also got kicked out of the IMAX in southbank for scaring the shit out of the majority of the crowd at one of the paranormal activity sequels during a really quiet scene. Ws surround by teenage girls that wouldn't shut up or get off their phones leading up to it so i couldn't resist