What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They built up the first 20 mins well but they didn’t stick the landing.

Enjoyable series but I thought the last two episodes were a let down. So Monica will join Fury on the Sword space station and now Dr Strange will have to deal with Wanda and the Darkhold. Ho hum.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Too cliche of an ending
Not sure how I feel about White Vision with memory restored. It's as if the writers didn't know how to wrap that up and had him just fly the f**k away. He'll show up again in the MCU. Just let him die

Not sure what was happening in the second end credit scene. The twins are still alive?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Too cliche of an ending
Not sure how I feel about White Vision with memory restored. It's as if the writers didn't know how to wrap that up and had him just fly the f**k away. He'll show up again in the MCU. Just let him die

Not sure what was happening in the second end credit scene. The twins are still alive?
I think she is using the book to figure out how to bring them back, her using the Darkhold will get Dr Strange's attention.

shiznit

Coach
Disappointing finish to the series IMO...

they certainly finished adequately enough... but IMO they built so well early on they could have really pushed the envelope.

in the end they went the safe route and it was all a bit meh IMO.

what they ended up doing with Quicksilver was just a meta joke aimed at the hardcores and really just low hanging fruit.

It was an adequate enough series overall... but IMO it could have been so much better.

Falcon & The Winter Soldier is up next... that actually looks pretty good.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Whatculture described white visions scene as "doing a poochy" and i cwnt think of a better way to put it lol

At least the ending wasnt GOT level crap but was good enough, marvel doing marvel things of worrying more about the setup of the next than the ending of the previous. The twins will most likely exist in another universe and will come into play for the multiverse arc in the next doctor strange.

She can definatly rock out the costume

Matua

Bench
I was fine with the finale.

I think peoples expectations were high because of non insiders speculating for the past 8 weeks about it so everyone thought the finale would basically be a 50 min long opening scene of the next Dr Strange movie.

On the latest Fatman Beyond podcast, Kevin Smith talks about the JL:Snyder Cut and gushed deluxe over it. He was sent a screener and basically said it fixes everything that fans hated about the Original Cut character wise (more development and less jokes) and was visually spectacular

Take it with a grain of salt because.....well its Kevin Smith and he basically loves everything are rarely shits on anything but im optimistic its going to be at least watchable unlike the original

shiznit

Coach
On the latest Fatman Beyond podcast, Kevin Smith talks about the JL:Snyder Cut and gushed deluxe over it. He was sent a screener and basically said it fixes everything that fans hated about the Original Cut character wise (more development and less jokes) and was visually spectacular

Take it with a grain of salt because.....well its Kevin Smith and he basically loves everything are rarely shits on anything but im optimistic its going to be at least watchable unlike the original

yeah if I remember correctly he was super positive on the theatrical cut too I think... :joy::joy:

but I am seeing really good reviews coming out of almost all the main outlets.

TBH I don’t rate Snyder at all... and I’ve pretty much mocked the shit out of the SnyderCut dorks who have been getting all militant about it... but gonna give it a chance... it’s a monster at 4hrs long...

but I’ll be happy to eat humble pie if it’s good.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Smith only ever talks about stuff he likes, he doesn't talk about stuff he doesn't like.

He's always been a fan of Snyders so he was already predisposed to liking it.

yeah if I remember correctly he was super positive on the theatrical cut too I think... :joy::joy:

but I am seeing really good reviews coming out of almost all the main outlets.

TBH I don’t rate Snyder at all... and I’ve pretty much mocked the shit out of the SnyderCut dorks who have been getting all militant about it... but gonna give it a chance... it’s a monster at 4hrs long...

but I’ll be happy to eat humble pie if it’s good.
I'll be happy to eat humble pie too but I'm wary of good reviews due to the hype around this. His previous two efforts were awful. But I pretty much like all the cast involved.

TBH, if it wasn't for the fact I have Binge I likely would not have bothered to watch it. One of my mates is trying to get me to watch the extended cut of Batman v Superman because apparently it goes from unwatchable tosh to a masterpiece. I've passed on that.

The issue with the Snyder dorks was the way they went about things. A lot of them were Karmichael Hunts about it instead of just being positive about wanting to see his cut.

shiznit

Coach
Smith only ever talks about stuff he likes, he doesn't talk about stuff he doesn't like.

He's always been a fan of Snyders so he was already predisposed to liking it.

I'll be happy to eat humble pie too but I'm wary of good reviews due to the hype around this. His previous two efforts were awful. But I pretty much like all the cast involved.

TBH, if it wasn't for the fact I have Binge I likely would not have bothered to watch it. One of my mates is trying to get me to watch the extended cut of Batman v Superman because apparently it goes from unwatchable tosh to a masterpiece. I've passed on that.

The issue with the Snyder dorks was the way they went about things. A lot of them were Karmichael Hunts about it instead of just being positive about wanting to see his cut.

I’ve only seen the extended cut of BvS... and it’s hot garbage.

i shudder to think how bad the theatrical is.

I’m looking forward to Friday after work... I’m going out with the Mrs to a Brazilian churascaria restaurant for dinner and then I’m gonna smash out episode 1 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier then roll onto the SnyderCut.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I’ve only seen the extended cut of BvS... and it’s hot garbage.

i shudder to think how bad the theatrical is.

I’m looking forward to Friday after work... I’m going out with the Mrs to a Brazilian churascaria restaurant for dinner and then I’m gonna smash out episode 1 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier then roll onto the SnyderCut.

So you’ll be up for most of the night
I didn’t realise how freakin long this movie is

azzah72

Bench
I'm in the camp that didn't hate the dceu for the most part, despite seeing their flaws.

I like most of them on some level except suicide squad and ww84.

Man of steel I liked despite problems with the third act, bvs I liked except for Luther and the fact they just overstuffed it and spoiled most of it with the trailers.

Ww, Aquaman, Shazam are all entertaining movies to me.

I didn't even hate the theatrical JL but it bothered me that it felt super choppy and was definitely bottom 3 for me despite enjoying things here and there about it.

I, for one. Looking forward to this on a characterisation level, which seems the be the highlight by the majority so I'm down to see it.

I also think it will be a really interesting case study on how much difference a director and editor can make to tone and delivery on a filmed scene, I'm going to find that the most interesting thing to pay attention to as a film buff.

shiznit

Coach
Except Watchmen which remains the best comic book movie of all time imo
Which I concede i am in a small minority people who think Watchman was totally overrated... unsurprisingly it was also directed by Snyder.

the only film I liked of his was 300.

gUt

Coach
I was surprised that many people feel that way about it. I never read the comic but I gather it's pretty faithful to it. The main criticism seems to be it was too much like the comic, so that's weird to me

shiznit

Coach
I was surprised that many people feel that way about it. I never read the comic but I gather it's pretty faithful to it. The main criticism seems to be it was too much like the comic, so that's weird to me

to me my issue was the story itself... it was kind of all over the place...

I never read the comic so maybe that was how the comic was... but I’m not sure it was suited for a film.

to me they needed to pull back a bit on all the crisscrossing story arcs... to me it just started to get abit convoluted.. and the big reveal about who was behind it wasn’t much of a mystery.

But i know a heap of people who loved it so personal preferences I guess...

Last edited: