What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reply 2598 is correct...still missing one half of it though.
Reply 2599 is totally of the ball...I'm still trying to figure out what it meant.
Reply 2600 is wrong.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Reply 2599 was me thinking aloud... didnt think anyone would take notice. ;)

So Wattle floweris part of it ...

The other part must be the leaves of the wattle or the bush perhaps.

That's good enuff for me mate.
<table cellspacing=4 cellpadding=0 width="95%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td class=all valign=top>1928</td> <td class=all>Australia wore the green and gold for the first time in the first test against the touring Englishmen. Green symbolised the gum leaf and gold, the wattle found profusely in each State of Australia.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Good timing too mate. Heading off for the day.
Cheers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I reckon it should be over to Ozbash for getting the footy part of the question....
96cib1_2.jpg

O

ozbash

australian and qld centre, noel hazzard was reportedly so strong he could lift .............. .... ................. ......... ....... .......

fill in the missing words.

O

ozbash

too hard for you,se eh?
heres a couple of clues..

noel retired from footy at age 48
13 tests for oz (51-54)
incredibly strong bloke,, what he is famous for reputedly doing, i doubt anyone could do today. forward or back.

O

ozbash

close tedward...
he could "lift a 44 gallon drum of petrol above his head"

over to you sir.

I good friend from a study group we put together reads these boards fairly often, but is not a member. This is his favourite thread he tells me often and reads it religiously.
He requested that I forward a brief reply on his behalf.
Below is his reply - in his own words -to ozbash's Q&amp;A.
Don't shoot the messenger.
emembarrassed.gif

"...he could "lift a 44 gallon drum of petrol above his head"

Let's see here. A 44 gallon drum of petrol is around 166.558121 liter. Right? So this is what he could lift above his head. Apparently.
Now, I know from having a hidden passion for conversions and some paststudies (and net research),that it's pretty difficult to convert fluid volume (litres, gallons etc) to weight /mass units (pounds, kilograms etc) accurately.
But if the the density of water is approximately one gram per milliliter (approximately 8.3454 pounds per gallon ;or 3.7848 kilos for every 3.785412litres), then, NOT taking into consideration the density of petrol which like other liquids willvaryaccording to its temperature and pressure; if this was to be a 44 gallon drum of water, then it's weight would be app: 367.1976lb or 166.5295kg. Correct?
I'm not sure wheather water has a much different density to petrol (which would effect its weight), but I can't imagine there would be any noticeable or considerable difference. I'm guessing.
So, if we were to assume for just one moment that they were identical or near identical in weight (water and petrol ie),are you telling me that this footy player from the early to mid 50's era could lift adrum of fluid above his head which weighedover166kg or over 367lb over his head?
Without knowing much more about this guy and his physical appearence, size, weight, biomechanicsetc, I've come to my own personalconclusion. Is this possible? Well....
Probably...NOT!
BULLSHIT!
Of course, I'll eat my words, kindly,if anyone can provide worthwhile proof. Until then...
emthdown.gif

Jeremy Simmons.

O

ozbash

well, i was always under the impression that the old 44 gal drum was now the 200 litre drum.
i am also under the impression that 1 liter of water = 1 kilogram (i,d say petrol would be pretty close) so to my thinking noel hazzard would be lifting just over 200 kg above his head. no mean feat and one which olympic weight lifters would probably be proud of. i dont know what power lifters can lift as i dont follow the sport.

i had heard of this story before and it was in my footy quiz bible (the a-z of rugby league-malcom andrews p252)

when i first heard it i thought "shit, he must be strong",but i can stand up,throw around 44 gal drums of chemical and i,m not very strong.
someone who is into weights and knows how to lift might be able to do it ??? maybe..

B

bender

Petrol is actually a lot lighter than water.

Still, i had tomove a 44gallon drum of methanol the other day and i can tell you that it was damn heavy. If i had read this threadearlier, i would have lifted it over my head just to prove it could be done.:D

Well I currently work in a gym.
I stand a whisker short of 6' 4" at around 126kg most times of the year. My BF hovers around 12-15% as has been for the last 5 years (give or take a year). I ain't huge, but I hold my own.
I've been lifting the iron for around 12 years total. I did competitive Powerlifting for 3 of those years many moons backand Bodybuilding for 4 of those years more recently.
I consider my self on the right-hand side of relatively strong and I tell you now, taking into consideration my past lifting experience,Iseriously doubt if I'dbe able to lift a 44gallon drum of petrol and raise it above my head. I wouldn't even attempt it honestly. Especially if it's as heavy as what the previous few posts stated.A 370LB weight is bloody heavy!
I'd certainly attempt it if that weight was loaded onto an Olympic bar, but not a keg. Different gravity of lift points, grasping areas, leverageand what not.
I'm not say this dude didn't do it, and it is possible that he did, but I have some doubts to its credibility.
Good on him if he could.

imported_midas

Juniors
Some of this arithmetic is a little off.If a ml of water weighs 1 gram then 200 litres would weigh 200 kg. This would fit with my dinosaurs rule of thumb which had a gallon of water at 10 pounds,therefore a 44 gall drum would weigh 440 lbs.
Still a bloody big lift.Did it say it was full?

"I stand a whisker short of 6' 4" at around 126kg most times of the year. My BF hovers around 12-15% as has been for the last 5 years (give or take a year). I ain't huge, but I hold my own."

Grubrunner you're a bloody monster mate!
emdgust.gif
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
At that height and that weight, your body fat is excellent. You must be in good shape mate. Well done.
Any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts