What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

sooperdooper

First Grade
The best female sports journo is without a doubt Melanie McLaughlin, shame she is contracted to fox sports.
She is mainly a football girl (soccer) but loves her sports and works hard...

Magnay is a joke

nqcowboy87

Bench
theres a chick yvonne samson or sampson that does the sports reporting for regional queensland based on the sunny coast for channel 7 and she actually plays the game and she is a frikkin stunner maybe channel 9 can poach her

yvonne-sampson.jpg

yowsers i just made a mess in my trousers

Brutus

Referee
Yvonne Sampson come on down.

A woman who actually plays the game and is a journo.

Ch 9 get on her board immediately!

nqcowboy87

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23972904-5016380,00.html

WHEN media personality and rugby league diehard Rob Brough says he coaches a "team of girls", he's not starting a feud.
He's proudly talking about one of the most courageous football teams he's ever coached.
Brough – the former host of game show Family Feud (before Bert ruined it) has taken the reins of the Sunshine Coast Sirens women's rugby league team.
The Sirens squad includes Steph Hancock – the daughter of former Queensland Origin forward Rohan Hancock – and Brough's fellow TV presenter Yvonne Samson who reads the sports news alongside him five nights a week.
Brough said the Sirens lose nothing to their male counterparts when it comes to sheer guts and determination in their inaugural season.
"They have so much ticker ... as much as any other team I've been involved with," Brough told Blindside Summer Edition host, Greg Davis.
"Some of the defence at times is frightening. It's phenomenal how hard these girls hit in defence."
Brough was in control of the Southeast Queensland team at the national titles in Sydney last month with Hancock and Tarah Westera two of the stars of the competition.
SEQ won the carnival with a 14-4 victory over Sydney City in the final with Hancock and Westera earning selection in the Australian squad.
The women's league World Cup will be played on the Sunshine Coast in October

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://sxnews.e-p.net.au/news/nrl-distances-itself-from-the-footy-show-5613.html

NRL distances itself from The Footy Show
Written by Peter Hackney
Wednesday, 17 June 2009 10:50

The National Rugby League (NRL) has distanced itself from the NRL version of The Footy Show over last month’s controversial gay skit.

NRL Director of Media and Communications, John Brady, told SX this week that he was concerned that people weren’t making a distinction between the NRL and The Footy Show, following the programme’s May 7 skit which saw fictitious gay character ‘Elton Johns’ referred to as “faulty” and taken to hospital because of his sexuality.

“People should understand that The Footy Show and the NRL are separate entities,” Brady said. “We didn’t endorse the skit and had no input into it. Obviously, it’s caused considerable controversy in the community and offended a number of people, which we’re sorry to hear, but this is an issue for The Footy Show, not the NRL.”

“It’s the same situation with the AFL version of The Footy Show,” he said. “When Sam Newman goes on the show mouthing off, dressing as an Aboriginal, making sexist comments or whatever – as he’s prone to doing – there’s nothing the AFL can do.”

Brady affirmed that the NRL was against homophobia but said rumours of the NRL coming on board with the ‘This Is Oz’ anti-homophobia campaign (www.thisisoz.com.au) were just rumours at this stage – but the NRL were open to the possibility, he said.

“It’s not something we’ve been asked to do, we don’t know anything about it, but if we were asked to participate, we’d certainly look at it.”

Brady’s comments come after The Sydney Convicts – Australia’s only gay rugby union club – appeared on The Footy Show last Thursday, in a bid to redress negative stereotypes about gay men and football portrayed in the skit.

Convicts President Charlie Winn said the club was generally happy with the appearance, although somewhat disappointed with the way the segment was handled.

“We’re happy that we managed to get our message across, which is that gay men can and do play football successfully, which we felt needed to be addressed on the show after the skit,” Winn told SX.

However, Winn added: “The show and the audience were quite friendly, but we were a little disappointed by the way the segment was presented – it wasn’t presented very seriously and was sort of tacked on at the very end of the show.”

Gay advocate Gary Burns, who has lodged a complaint with the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board (ABD) over the skit, has accused The Sydney Convicts of “sleeping with the enemy” by going on the show, however Winn said: “Our appearance wasn’t meant to detract from his legal action. It was never meant to be a replacement for what he’s doing – it’s in addition to it. We support and encourage his action.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/national/fatty-tackles-a-good-cause-20090617-chy7.html

Fatty tackles a good cause
Sean Nicholls and Emily Dunn
June 18, 2009
THE DIARY

Finally, some good has come out of Matthew Johns's closet, with confirmation that Paul "Fatty" Vautin and other presenters from Channel Nine's The Footy Show will join the out-and-proud Senator Bob Brown and diver Matthew Mitchum as supporters of the AIDS Council of NSW anti-homophobia campaign, thisisoz.com.au.

Last Thursday the show hosted players from the Sydney Convicts, a gay rugby union team, to discuss the issue of homophobia in sport, prompted by a Footy Show sketch that portrayed the father of league brothers Matthew and Andrew Johns returning a fictitious gay third son - "Elton Johns" - to the hospital because he was "faulty".

A spokesman for the AIDS council told the Diary yesterday that Vautin and other panellists promised last week that they would upload photos of themselves holding anti-homophobic messages to the site. They also pledged to encourage high-profile NRL players to do the same. Convicts founder Andrew Purchase said the team appreciated the opportunity to front the show but were disappointed there was no apology for the skit.

Yesterday a Nine spokeswoman confirmed Vautin and the panel would honour their pledge. It is not the first time Vautin has publicly supported gay rights. In 1995 he supported the coming out of then-NRL star Ian Roberts in a poster campaign against homophobia organised by the Lesbian and Gay Anti-Violence Project. Ironically Roberts, who was referred to in the offending Footy Show sketch, warned the Convicts an appearance would allow the program to "whitewash" its alleged homophobia.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

What is the point of forcing "celebrities" to do things like this?

Fact is - Vautin and co were quite happy to have a skit which pointed fun at a bloke because he was gay. They thought this was funny and thought that their audience would - which they did.

Forcing them to join this or that group is ridiculous. It's fake - it's forced - but it's typical NRL approach - similar to "put more women on boards".

bartman

Immortal
Fatty, Sterlo and Blocker were on a poster campaign saying "Homophobia isn't cool" (or similar) in the late 90s. The poster was up on the wall where I worked at the time (a youth centre), I remember it because it looked like they all had their media makeup on and it seemed Fatty was pursing his lips in a pseudo-queer fashion...

Point being that he's got history being involved in similar campaigns, and I doubt his involvement in the new one has been "forced". Mind you, it is good for the game...

Finally, some good has come out of Matthew Johns's closet, with confirmation that Paul "Fatty" Vautin and other presenters from Channel Nine's The Footy Show will join the out-and-proud Senator Bob Brown and diver Matthew Mitchum as supporters of the AIDS Council of NSW anti-homophobia campaign, thisisoz.com.au.
I might be behind the times, but I never knew Bob Brown was gay..?

El Diablo

Post Whore
I might be behind the times, but I never knew Bob Brown was gay..?

i thought its been common knowledge for years

wasn't homosexuality only recently legalised in his home state?

ibeme

First Grade
i thought its been common knowledge for years

wasn't homosexuality only recently legalised in his home state?

I don't think it was illegal to be gay, but I think it was illegal to lose your virginity if you were. I could be wrong.

t-ba

Post Whore
Sodomy law was only repealed in Tasmania in 1997. They were shamed by the UNHRC into doing it.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i turned off when fat tried to get benji to rap, i dont want my ears to suffer

I think the law was against sodomy.
how would they enforce that, and if they where sent to prison it would pretty pointless, havent they ever seen oz

Big Pete

Referee
I think you mean Lutsy who's a radio personality on Brisbane's Nova Station. He's usually pretty terrible.

Decent show tonight although it missed Goulds involvement.

I must say Michael Hodgeson showed some personality and should be used as a Bulldogs corrospondent from here on in.

Latest posts