What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

gronkathon

First Grade
They are made up of the best players. The reality is the net is thrown wider earlier and alot of kids in the local districts are not as good.

Crowd attendance is not dependent on locality. Wests Tigers brand sees a large presence of fans across all districts and interstate.

AFL have targetted their funds at the Hills district through to Blacktown and barely touching on Penrith even.

murraymob

Coach
The NYC team is made up of more out of district players than players from the Macarthur or Balmain.

Who is going to fork out the money to build the gym and offices at CSS?

You are aware that media coverage of the team will be reduced if they move to the Macarthur aren't you? Look at the amount of agencies at WT training and Press Conferences every single day and compare that with a Penrith. More media exposure = more brqnd recognition = better sponsors = more money coming into the club.

Whether you like it, recognise it or not this game is a business first and has been for nearing a decade

rubbish
media exposure has nothing to do with location more to do with the clubs media manager..As a panther supporter we have been in the papers at least every 3rd day this year far out weighing the tigers exposure.We have just signed a new major sponsor and more new sponsors to be announced

murraymob

Coach
They are made up of the best players. The reality is the net is thrown wider earlier and alot of kids in the local districts are not as good.

Crowd attendance is not dependent on locality. Wests Tigers brand sees a large presence of fans across all districts and interstate.

AFL have targetted their funds at the Hills district through to Blacktown and barely touching on Penrith even.

you may want to come out our way and see the new afl clubs opening in the penrith district.They are opening in the areas where the biggest clubs are .Penrith is a battlefield now the gws head quarters is in our area .They are heavily hitting the schools

gronkathon

First Grade
you may want to come out our way and see the new afl clubs opening in the penrith district.They are opening in the areas where the biggest clubs are .Penrith is a battlefield now the gws head quarters is in our area .They are heavily hitting the schools

The schools have been heavily hit for the last three years.

I live in Mulgoa and there has been a greater percentage increase in soccer registrations than there has been AFL over the past years.

The AFL model is a simple one in that they target the kids with no real talent in other sports. This ups their participation models yet the conversion rate remains very low.

League lost their opportunity for a similar inclusive attitude and structuring when they didn't move to embrace Oz Tag and touch footbal as part of the family.

If there is a war to be fough tit needs base up restructure

unforgiven

Bench
whats the big deal of them all playing in the same side. if they make the nrl side they train with them all week anyway. if they wanted all the excess nrl players in the one team they could have went to balmain one year and wests magpies the next, but that isnt what happened. those reasons you have given me has NOT changed my opinion that the club should be based at campbelltown. im not saying wt should play all the home games in campbelltown. im talking about them training at campbelltown stadium and having the gym and offices a part of or next to wests leagues campbelltown which is right next to campbelltown stadium and leumeah railway station. yes i know most players wouldnt want to live in some of the not so nice suburbs but there are some nice areas to live around camden/macarthur. we have more juniors in the liverpool/macarthur/ southern highlands areas than the balmain district but for some reason the club is based in the inner west. its ridiculous

I'm sure you cant be serious when speaking about the advantages of having player play in the one team, you cant watch as much football as you do and have no idea at all. You do realise why rep selectors often pick players in key positions from the same team dont you?

The attraction of players has absolutly nothing to do with there being nice suburbs in cambo, young players will have no desire to live there as it is too far from the city.

Once again your real agenda is showing, the return of the Magpies. They are dead as a top level team, time to move on. Im not arguing about getting rid of the Magpies, though I do want a state cup team called the Wests Tigers. I'm annoyed at all the blame for these issues being placed in the wrong place. Wests Magpies stuffed the macarthur region, not the Wests Tigers, Wests Ashfield removed the funding from the Magpies, not the Wests Tigers. Wests Magpies smartest move would have been to agree to the merger of the state cup teams and negoiate for the majority of games to be played at CSS, they rejected the offer.

What is it you want the Wests Tigers to do? Im sick of you guys demanding that you get more than your 50% of the Wests Tigers. Rant over

innsaneink

Referee
If you cant see how one team getting al NRL players and the other team getting none isnt 50/50 then you really do have your head somewhere that it shouldnt be.
Im sure we'd have a Parramatta Tigers team in the NRL if Wests had known 13 years this would occur

unforgiven

Bench
If you cant see how one team getting al NRL players and the other team getting none isnt 50/50 then you really do have your head somewhere that it shouldnt be.
Im sure we'd have a Parramatta Tigers team in the NRL if Wests had known 13 years this would occur

That occurred because of decision that the Wests Magpies made. Yes the Wests Tigers wanted all the players in the one team, can you explain to me how having all players in the one team is not an advantage for the Wests Tigers, but the Magpies made the decision to go alone.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
Wests Tigers wanted all players in one side called the Wests Tigers.

There was a faction that blocked this and said my way or the highway. Seems the highway choice was made

Fordy20

Juniors
If the JV is broken, I'd be more than happy for the Balmain contingent to assume complete ownership of the NRL licence. More games at Leichhardt, less criticism about how poorly the club is supported by it's Campbelltown contingent and the Tigers can go back to saying it's a foundation club. I'm sure the Ryde Eastwood Hawks would be happy to have their own NSW Cup side again and receive all the Tigers NRL reserve players. It seems to me that the Wests faction will only be happy once the Magpies have an NRL licence and the Tigers simply cease to exist.

alien

Referee
See what I mean Mr Murray, he won't listen. He will make up any stupid excuse because he wants Wests Tigers based in the Balmain district. Liverpool-Macarthur-Southern Highlands needs it's own full-time NRL team and it isn't the Wests Tigers. We need the Wests Magpies, or Wests-Macarthur Magpies in the NRL based full-time at Campbelltown. The Tigers can go jump!

If you think the amount of juniors we lose to AFL wont increase, if things stay the way they are at the moment, then your head is in the sand!

innsaneink

Referee
That occurred because of decision that the Wests Magpies made. Yes the Wests Tigers wanted all the players in the one team, can you explain to me how having all players in the one team is not an advantage for the Wests Tigers, but the Magpies made the decision to go alone.
I'm only pointing out how some see this as not 50/50...where others seem to think everything is fair and equal.
I also see WTs POV and all players in one team is an advantage to the NRL team...thats as plain as day.
If everythings all fair and equal, 50/50 as you think it is...then shouldnt everyone be happy?
I'm sure plenty at BRET arent either
As i said if they knew then what we know now.....
The Magpies have not helped their cause, they couldnt run primary schoolyard a game of marbles and havent been able to for decades, so thats why I cant be too critical of this move.
In the end I believe its the right thing...focus on the strength and whats working...nothing stays the same forever

alien

Referee
Mr Murray, I would have preferred Wests Magpies forming a joint-venture with Penrith instead of Balmain. If it was called Penrith Magpies and played in black and white (Penrith wear mostly black anyway), and played 6 home games + a trial match at Penrith and 6 home games + a trial match at Campbelltown then that would have been better than what we have now. We both have big junior areas too. Tigers can go jump!

unforgiven

Bench
See what I mean Mr Murray, he won't listen. He will make up any stupid excuse because he wants Wests Tigers based in the Balmain district. Liverpool-Macarthur-Southern Highlands needs it's own full-time NRL team and it isn't the Wests Tigers. We need the Wests Magpies, or Wests-Macarthur Magpies in the NRL based full-time at Campbelltown. The Tigers can go jump!

If you think the amount of juniors we lose to AFL wont increase, if things stay the way they are at the moment, then your head is in the sand!

Who is the he that you have refered to in that post? If you think that the Magpies ever have a chance of being an NRL team again then you are trully delusional.

unforgiven

Bench
Mr Murray, I would have preferred Wests Magpies forming a joint-venture with Penrith instead of Balmain. If it was called Penrith Magpies and played in black and white (Penrith wear mostly black anyway), and played 6 home games + a trial match at Penrith and 6 home games + a trial match at Campbelltown then that would have been better than what we have now. We both have big junior areas too. Tigers can go jump!

You do know why we don't play 6 games at Campbelltown don't you?

alien

Referee
The are targetting the juniors down here too. Traditional Rugby League fields now have Aussie Rules posts.

unforgiven

Bench
I'm only pointing out how some see this as not 50/50...where others seem to think everything is fair and equal.
I also see WTs POV and all players in one team is an advantage to the NRL team...thats as plain as day.
If everythings all fair and equal, 50/50 as you think it is...then shouldnt everyone be happy?
I'm sure plenty at BRET arent either
As i said if they knew then what we know now.....
The Magpies have not helped their cause, they couldnt run primary schoolyard a game of marbles and havent been able to for decades, so thats why I cant be too critical of this move.
In the end I believe its the right thing...focus on the strength and whats working...nothing stays the same forever

No in a 50/50 merger not everyone will be happy, because everyone has to give up something, its called compromise. The Magpies have 50% representation on the board of the Wests Tigers, How can things not be equal.

alien

Referee
If the JV is broken, I'd be more than happy for the Balmain contingent to assume complete ownership of the NRL licence. More games at Leichhardt, less criticism about how poorly the club is supported by it's Campbelltown contingent and the Tigers can go back to saying it's a foundation club. I'm sure the Ryde Eastwood Hawks would be happy to have their own NSW Cup side again and receive all the Tigers NRL reserve players. It seems to me that the Wests faction will only be happy once the Magpies have an NRL licence and the Tigers simply cease to exist.
And what makes you so sure Balmain would get the NRL licence???

Latest posts