What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

gronkathon

First Grade
Mr Murray, I would have preferred Wests Magpies forming a joint-venture with Penrith instead of Balmain. If it was called Penrith Magpies and played in black and white (Penrith wear mostly black anyway), and played 6 home games + a trial match at Penrith and 6 home games + a trial match at Campbelltown then that would have been better than what we have now. We both have big junior areas too. Tigers can go jump!

So you think it would have been better to play less games in the west+ southwest every year as that would be better to combat AFL?

You could be future Western Suburbs Junior football club management material as you have truly zero idea and are purely driven by your agenda of what is best for the Magpies.

The problems of the west and southwest are not going to be fixed by NRL clubs. It requires a complete effort from the IC down as this is the approach that has been so successful for the AFL

gronkathon

First Grade
And what makes you so sure Balmain would get the NRL licence???

The NRL would grant Wests Tigers a new license independent of any former ties. Of that you can be sure as they are a premium brand for the NRL and they would not see it die off

alien

Referee
What is it you want the Wests Tigers to do? Im sick of you guys demanding that you get more than your 50% of the Wests Tigers. Rant over
We want the club based at Campbelltown. It isn't a 50:50 joint-venture like it was meant to be.

unforgiven

Bench
The NRL would grant Wests Tigers a new license independent of any former ties. Of that you can be sure as they are a premium brand for the NRL and they would not see it die off

I think this is probably what would happen. If the partnership between Wests and Balmain were to dissolve, they would just hand over the ownership of the licence of the Wests Tigers to other parties, prob the Wests Tigers. Wests and Balmain may own the Wests Tigers but the NRL owns the intellectual rights to the brand.

No one I know wants the partnership dissolved except for a few stubborn Magpie fans, so its not going to happen.

innsaneink

Referee
No in a 50/50 merger not everyone will be happy, because everyone has to give up something, its called compromise. The Magpies have 50% representation on the board of the Wests Tigers, How can things not be equal.
Explained already...

Compromise....or forced?

gronkathon

First Grade
No in a 50/50 merger not everyone will be happy, because everyone has to give up something, its called compromise. The Magpies have 50% representation on the board of the Wests Tigers, How can things not be equal.

The issue with that is the fractured nature of the Magpies stakeholders and how those votes are divided.

As Ink said with the exception of Ashfield the Wests Group could not organise a root in a brothel as it stands.

alien

Referee
So you think it would have been better to play less games in the west+ southwest every year as that would be better to combat AFL?

You could be future Western Suburbs Junior football club management material as you have truly zero idea and are purely driven by your agenda of what is best for the Magpies.

The problems of the west and southwest are not going to be fixed by NRL clubs. It requires a complete effort from the IC down as this is the approach that has been so successful for the AFL
No I believe the Macarthur area should have it's own NRL team. I am just expressing how angry I am about the Wests Tigers joint-venture. It's you that has no idea. Wests Tigers have a responsibility to look after the game in the Macarthur area and they are not doing it. Saying we shouldn't have the club based here because "players want to live closer to the city" is ridiculous.

unforgiven

Bench
No I believe the Macarthur area should have it's own NRL team. I am just expressing how angry I am about the Wests Tigers joint-venture. It's you that has no idea. Wests Tigers so have a responsibility to the game to look after the game in the Macarthur area and they are not doing it. Saying we shouldn't have the club based here because "players wouldn't want the club to be based here because they want to live closer to the city" is ridiculous.

how is it ridiculous

unforgiven

Bench
The issue with that is the fractured nature of the Magpies stakeholders and how those votes are divided.

As Ink said with the exception of Ashfield the Wests Group could not organise a root in a brothel as it stands.

Sorry I missed this post. I undersatnd that the Wests group is devided up into smaller parts, but that is how Wests wanted the joint venture set up. Is it Wests Campbelltown that is voting along with Balmain? If so, why has no one attempted to gain control of this side of the Wests group.?

gronkathon

First Grade
No I believe the Macarthur area should have it's own NRL team. I am just expressing how angry I am about the Wests Tigers joint-venture. It's you that has no idea. Wests Tigers so have a responsibility to the game to look after the game in the Macarthur area and they are not doing it. Saying we shouldn't have the club based here because "players wouldn't want the club to be based here because they want to live closer to the city" is ridiculous.

Your statement was that you wished that Penrith and the Magpies had been the merger (even though that merger was never mooted) which would reduce the wes/south wests corridor games from 16 a year to 12.

You want it to have it's own NRL team than start lobbying for investors, sponsors and financial backers. There are teams from Wellington, two more Queensland sides and a Perth bid that all have a good head start on you and the two Queensland sides have far greater claims in terms of junior participation to NRL team ratio.

When finances allow I hope we do get to a 5 game each split with 2 marquee games a year sold to the highest bidder. However to do so now is not financially sustainable. Four games a season of the Wests Tigers brand attracts better crowds than a full season of Wests games used to.

You want to talk brass taxes than I am willing to wager more kids in the macarthur region identify with the Wests Tigers than they do the Western Suburbs Magpies.

Western Suburbs and Balmain are our proud past. They are not our future

alien

Referee
how is it ridiculous
Because you are saying we shouldn't be based in the south west, where most of our juniors are from, because players wont want to play for a team based in Campbelltown, because they want to live closer to the city. :lol:

gronkathon

First Grade
where most of our juniors are from,

That is a falsehood pure and simple.

Our current NYC squad has far more players from outside our junior areas than inside which merely demonstrates the pulling power of the Wests Tigers system

alien

Referee
Your statement was that you wished that Penrith and the Magpies had been the merger (even though that merger was never mooted) which would reduce the wes/south wests corridor games from 16 a year to 12.

You want it to have it's own NRL team than start lobbying for investors, sponsors and financial backers. There are teams from Wellington, two more Queensland sides and a Perth bid that all have a good head start on you and the two Queensland sides have far greater claims in terms of junior participation to NRL team ratio.

When finances allow I hope we do get to a 5 game each split with 2 marquee games a year sold to the highest bidder. However to do so now is not financially sustainable. Four games a season of the Wests Tigers brand attracts better crowds than a full season of Wests games used to.

You want to talk brass taxes than I am willing to wager more kids in the macarthur region identify with the Wests Tigers than they do the Western Suburbs Magpies.

Western Suburbs and Balmain are our proud past. They are not our future
Because of the way the Wests side of the joint-venture and the Macarthur area has been treated! I will agree that Penrith shouldn't form a joint-venture with anyone and Wests shouldn't have had to either! Ofcourse more kids identify with the Wests Tigers - because it's the NRL team!

alien

Referee
That is a falsehood pure and simple.

Our current NYC squad has far more players from outside our junior areas than inside which merely demonstrates the pulling power of the Wests Tigers system
Or it merely demonstrates that juniors from Macarthur/Southern Highlands, who aren't on much money, don't want to travel all the way to Concord all the time, especially when it would be quicker to get to other NRL teams. Wests Magpies normally have strong Under 18s and Under 16s teams, so if there isn't many Wests juniors in the Wests Tigers Under 20s side then that shows a failure from Wests Tigers hanging on to them. But some people from the Balmain side of the joint-venture expect complete loyalty from our juniors. Wests Tigers don't deserve complete loyalty.

unforgiven

Bench
I have never said that we shouldnt be doing more for the Macarthur region. Our biggest mistake has been leaving the Magpies in control of running football out there for so long. Moving the entire operation out there is not the answer. I think it would be a strong postitive move to have a Wests Tigers State Cup team playing most of its matches at CSS.

If you want our team to be all about the Macarthur juniours, lets get rid of Marshall, Farah, etc and replace them with current 1st graders from the Macarthur region and compare the sides. Because if you base the club fulltime out at Campbelltown, those high quality imports that every side needs will not be coming to the Tigers.

Why do you think the Magpies struggled for so long trying to draw high profile players. It was because they were based out of Campbelltown. Now dont get me wrong, I live in Western Sydney and wouldnt live anywhere else, but you wont get the high profile young players at Campbelltown.

alien

Referee
I have never said that we shouldnt be doing more for the Macarthur region. Our biggest mistake has been leaving the Magpies in control of running football out there for so long. Moving the entire operation out there is not the answer. I think it would be a strong postitive move to have a Wests Tigers State Cup team playing most of its matches at CSS.

If you want our team to be all about the Macarthur juniours, lets get rid of Marshall, Farah, etc and replace them with current 1st graders from the Macarthur region and compare the sides. Because if you base the club fulltime out at Campbelltown, those high quality imports that every side needs will not be coming to the Tigers.

Why do you think the Magpies struggled for so long trying to draw high profile players. It was because they were based out of Campbelltown. Now dont get me wrong, I live in Western Sydney and wouldnt live anywhere else, but you wont get the high profile young players at Campbelltown.
No I don't want players like Marshall, Farah & other high profile players to leave, or not come to the club, but if they are too stuck up to live in Macarthur then they can live at Breakfast Point and travel to Campbelltown. It's not like they aren't on enough money to spend on petrol.