What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Are rates of suicide higher in league players than other populations?

Are rates of dementia and other similar diseases higher in league players than other populations?

Are rates of depression and mental illness higher in league populations than other populations?

these are all easily gathered statistics that I assume the NRL and other purse clutchers like you must have researched to be making such hysterical claims?

Just because you're a Roosters fan, doesn't mean you have to be a cock.

Are rates of suicide higher in league players? f**ked if I know. How is that relevant? If you can make active steps towards ensuring less CTE happens through creating more safety in the game in regards to the head without taking away from the fabric of the game, isn't that a good thing? Regardless of how it compares to any other industry or walk of life? Or shall we just say f**k it and ignore it, and as long as more FIFO workers top themselves than league players then we're sweet?

Danish

Referee
Just because you're a Roosters fan, doesn't mean you have to be a c**k.

Are rates of suicide higher in league players? f**ked if I know. How is that relevant? If you can make active steps towards ensuring less CTE happens through creating more safety in the game in regards to the head without taking away from the fabric of the game, isn't that a good thing? Regardless of how it compares to any other industry or walk of life? Or shall we just say f**k it and ignore it, and as long as more FIFO workers top themselves than league players then we're sweet?

you said we want to avoid incidents like that afl bloke killing himself.

I was interested to know if your fear was based on any actual statistical proof. Seems it wasn’t.

all I know is I went from watching every game of league each weekend to barely watching any. The game is f**ked to watch right now and they seem adamant in keeping it that way. Viewing numbers on FTA seem to be showing a lot are feeling the same way.

by all means they can have their safety first mother’s game. It will just become an amateur code in the process as the TV money dries up

simmo05

Bench
Just because you're a Roosters fan, doesn't mean you have to be a c**k.

I was on barrow island and we had maybe 8 suicides on the job? And at the inpex job in Darwin we had the same. ( don't quote me, I'm just going from memory) And that's just the huge projects I have been on. There have been plenty of smaller projects I have been on where a bloke has ended it. And to try and change from the 4 weeks on 1 off roster that causes this shit we have to strike. The big construction and mining companies don't give the slightest f**k about us or our families, send the wife a ham. At least the NRL is trying to help these blokes, and I applaud it. If only this was replicated in a few more industries

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well said

The mum thing is rubbish. If anyone has ever watched a bunch of 6-10 year olds play you would realise the only danger of a concussion is the kids swarming for oranges at half time
tell you what the mums who weren’t worried about their kids playing rugby league probably are now after the chairman of the sport has told them numerous times how dangerous RL is and how concussions will kill you! As a pr exercise Vlandys continued rhetoric over the past two weeks has done more damage than any high tackle could ever do,

Perth Red

Post Whore
No heigh tackles in Storm v broncos, and no big hits of any sort, other than Olams which went on report Lol. And another blow out scoreline.
Welcome to Vlandys ball 2021.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I was on barrow island and we had maybe 8 suicides on the job? And at the inpex job in Darwin we had the same. ( don't quote me, I'm just going from memory) And that's just the huge projects I have been on. There have been plenty of smaller projects I have been on where a bloke has ended it. And to try and change from the 4 weeks on 1 off roster that causes this shit we have to strike. The big construction and mining companies don't give the slightest f**k about us or our families, send the wife a ham. At least the NRL is trying to help these blokes, and I applaud it. If only this was replicated in a few more industries

Good man, I agree.

I keep hearing 'they know the dangers, let them make their own decisions'. Young men earning way more money than they're ever able to make elsewhere aren't able to make their own decisions. They need some level of protection from being smacked in the head. I'm not saying sanitise it so we're playing Austag before any smart arse says it, but finding a balance of the game staying what it is and keeping 110kg guys' shoulders from hitting people in the head is the responsibility of the NRL. And they'll ignore meat heads who still see the world from a Reg Reagan lens.

siv

First Grade
Fitness is the main issue in high scorelines

6 again rule is making it like unlimited tackle rules. So disciplined team dominates.

Thats why Melbourne & Penrith are now focusing on striping the ball 1 on 1 or making tacklers lose the ball in the wrestle. Reward outweighs the penalty.

Second contributer to fitness is the Sin Bin directive. Once again its the poor displined team who get impacted. As tired players late in their stint make mistakes.

The third fitness issue comes from the lack of NSW Cup and Qld Cup and U20s last year. Clubs that rely on these players more naturally come from the bottom half of the comp

The basic blow out rule still applies - it only take 3 players in a RL team to be below par for a team to put 30 on you

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No heigh tackles in Storm v broncos, and no big hits of any sort, other than Olams which went on report Lol. And another blow out scoreline.
Welcome to Vlandys ball 2021.

The Broncos are f**king hopeless. How the f**k is that PVLs issue? That club has been f**ked for decades now, and they're playing a side who never loses at Suncorp and is the reigning premier. Yet you want to blame Vlandys. Weird.

Why are people kidding themselves that scorelines were closer in the past?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Fitness is the main issue in high scorelines

6 again rule is making it like unlimited tackle rules. So disciplined team dominates.

Thats why Melbourne & Penrith are now focusing on striping the ball 1 on 1 or making tacklers lose the ball in the wrestle. Reward outweighs the penalty.

Second contributer to fitness is the Sin Bin directive. Once again its the poor displined team who get impacted. As tired players late in their stint make mistakes.

The third fitness issue comes from the lack of NSW Cup and Qld Cup and U20s last year. Clubs that rely on these players more naturally come from the bottom half of the comp

The basic blow out rule still applies - it only take 3 players in a RL team to be below par for a team to put 30 on you

Do we have stats that says the scorelines are much wider this year? Because I remember throughout the 2000s, teams getting torched too. Yet they'll be pointed out by some as the golden years.

I dunno, I feel like it's the 2021 way to pick holes in everything and get in the way of our own enjoyment (not you, in general). The negativity bias. The referees suck, the game is soft, the scores are blown out, it's too predictable, halves are generally mud, and whatever else.

Oh well, I still enjoy the shit out of it. And my team has made the finals once in 11 years. Cheer up everyone.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
you said we want to avoid incidents like that afl bloke killing himself.

I was interested to know if your fear was based on any actual statistical proof. Seems it wasn’t.

all I know is I went from watching every game of league each weekend to barely watching any. The game is f**ked to watch right now and they seem adamant in keeping it that way. Viewing numbers on FTA seem to be showing a lot are feeling the same way.

by all means they can have their safety first mother’s game. It will just become an amateur code in the process as the TV money dries up

Well there's proof Danny Frawley drove his car into a tree. What you said wasn't relevant. It's not relevant what is happening in any other industry. So I don't need that stat. FIFO workers, people in the army, whatever industry you like - those people's mental health is affected by other factors than being whacked in the head by a big bloke. What is relevant is that head injuries cause issues for players that have the ability to f**k their lives up post-footy. NFL have a massive problem because their sport offers purposeful head on head contact, even with helmets on. They changed it, especially at junior level. Ours is the same, again especially at junior level - if people who's brain is still developing get brain injuries, that's a massive issue.

I think you're talking yourself out of what is still a great game. TV ain't going anywhere, they still love it. Watch SOO rate the shit out of itself in its coverage. There's no issue with the longevity of this game, it'll still be here even when they rightly tidy up parts of safety while keeping the same fabric of the game.

siv

First Grade
Do we have stats that says the scorelines are much wider this year? Because I remember throughout the 2000s, teams getting torched too. Yet they'll be pointed out by some as the golden years.

I dunno, I feel like it's the 2021 way to pick holes in everything and get in the way of our own enjoyment (not you, in general). The negativity bias. The referees suck, the game is soft, the scores are blown out, it's too predictable, halves are generally mud, and whatever else.

Oh well, I still enjoy the shit out of it. And my team has made the finals once in 11 years. Cheer up everyone.

There are stats

Looking at the simple metric of margins pre covid v 2021

2012-2019
0-6 - ranged 28% to 38%
7-12 - ranged 16% to 23%
13+ - ranged 40% to 48%

2021 up to round 10
0-6 - 21%
7-12 - 20%
13+ - 59%

The trend is there

Valheru

Coach
The Broncos are f**king hopeless. How the f**k is that PVLs issue? That club has been f**ked for decades now, and they're playing a side who never loses at Suncorp and is the reigning premier. Yet you want to blame Vlandys. Weird.

Probably because they were.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
err because all the stats say they were???

err yes! Less close games and more blow out games.

OK, stats have proven me wrong. Looks like there's 10% or so less 0-6 games and 10% more 13+.

So over a 26 round season, with 8 games a round, that's 20 or so games that are moreso blowouts. One a round, or just under.

Is that seriously something to be sooking it up deluxe about?

And is that the way the game has gone, is it salary cap, is it quality (or lack thereof) of coaching in the NRL, what is it?

Big Salad

Juniors
I've got no problem with the larger amount of blowouts. There was a period a few years back where poor teams were able to stay in games and even jag upset wins purely on the back of their fitness and ability to slow the game down and give penalties away.

It's unfortunate for those clubs who have been caught out with poor rosters over the past two years to coincide with the rule changes, but perhaps it will also accelerate the changes they make to their football departments/rosters/pathways instead of letting themselves be fooled into thinking they're doing okay.

It also probably doesn't help that the NRL created a fixture draw where last year's spooners have been playing all the top teams twice (and mostly on free to air) whereas the top team have barely played the other top teams.

Some may - but for mine - Vlandys came out after Magic Round and stated

"The game has never been more exciting"..

Who, apart from his reflection, has agreed with that?

Some stats. We are in Round 11 of a 26 round regular season...

"Blowouts"
  • We've had blowouts - many of them. 39 Games this season have had a margin of 18 or more (Thats an average of 3.5 games per round). 29 of these have been 24+, including 17 games at 30+..
  • Of these games, 19 Games have had a side score 40+ points. 4 of these are 50+.
  • 19 games have had margins of 18+ at half time.
Players
  • There are currently 136 Players unavailable due to Injuries (105) and Suspensions (31).
Teams
  • Souths, currently at 4th, has had 2 x half-centuries put on them in the last 3 weeks. That's a TOP 4 team..... Never happened before in the NRL era...
  • Every team from 7th (Dragons) down has lost more games than they've won. AND
  • Every Team from 7th down (apart from the Cowboys) has lost the majority of it's last 5 games.
  • Canterbury has had 1 win, and had a stretch of 3 x games in a row where they failed to score a single point.
  • There have been 7 games this season where a team has scored 0.

Of course there's been some great games in there, some have been exciting - pending on what people's opinions are.

But I've not heard a single person other than Vlandys say (agree) the game has never been more exciting. Especially the players - where there's been an unprecedented level of criticism.

If you're a Panthers or Storm fan you'd probably be excited (maybe even a bit Smug?). Eels fans may be too (but reaching for the Spirits shelf last week). Manly fans have edged back away from the edge of the cliff after round 4....

As for the rest of the fans...... has the game ever been more exciting than it is now??

For mine - its not LU users i'd be saying are kidding themselves...

It's Peter Vlandys. Or as Nathan Brown refers to him - "The Horse Man" ...

3ff4f508160e944557f59656aa5192df

some11

Referee

Did you enjoy players staying down hoping for sin bins tonight.

Really bodes well for the future of the game.

Danish

Referee
Well there's proof Danny Frawley drove his car into a tree. What you said wasn't relevant. It's not relevant what is happening in any other industry. So I don't need that stat. FIFO workers, people in the army, whatever industry you like - those people's mental health is affected by other factors than being whacked in the head by a big bloke. What is relevant is that head injuries cause issues for players that have the ability to f**k their lives up post-footy. NFL have a massive problem because their sport offers purposeful head on head contact, even with helmets on. They changed it, especially at junior level. Ours is the same, again especially at junior level - if people who's brain is still developing get brain injuries, that's a massive issue.

I think you're talking yourself out of what is still a great game. TV ain't going anywhere, they still love it. Watch SOO rate the shit out of itself in its coverage. There's no issue with the longevity of this game, it'll still be here even when they rightly tidy up parts of safety while keeping the same fabric of the game.

Yep 1 bloke playing a different sport maybe killed himself. Sound the alarm.

state of origin ratings have been in free fall since the QLD dominance ended. Last year’s series was f**king woefully rated - down millions on its peak popularity. I see no reason why that trend is going to be changed in 2021.

rugby used to be massively popular in this country. People loved the super 8s and super 10s back in the day. Now look at it. Don’t think a sport can’t destroy itself through arrogant mismanagement