What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Rosetta

Juniors
I've gone through the Swans draw briefly, they only have 1 Friday night match on May 24th which will cause a conflict, their 2 other Friday night matches are when we only have 1 match scheduled for that Friday. There are however at least 4 conflicts for Sunday afternoon matches so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Anyway, Desert Qlder - I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from the article since there's nothing about how MMM will handle their contractual agreements with both the AFL and likely the NRL as well?

Well you played a straight bat on that one fella. You'll need to turn up the sarcasm-meter while on LU.

Jeffmister

Juniors
I've gone through the Swans draw briefly, they only have 1 Friday night match on May 24th which will cause a conflict, their 2 other Friday night matches are when we only have 1 match scheduled for that Friday. There are however at least 4 conflicts for Sunday afternoon matches so it will be interesting to see what happens there.
Just a quick table I created showing when the Swans have their games this season. 'Clear Status' refers to number of games being held when there are NO NRL games being played at the same time:
8370298444_5c9c475fd6_n.jpg

If the Swans are a higher priority for MMM in terms of what games they are contracted to air, then it will definitely shuffle what games they broadcast most weeks.

franklin2323

Immortal
I hate AFL as much the next person but how is MMM broadcasting the games any different then ABC doing Waratards games on a Sat night??

2GB only did 530 games. So many times you couldn't hear the game. Even taking their clashes out. 2GB have no excuse not take the games.

That's better then the coverage prior to this season that's a win for the game.

typicalfan

Coach
Exactly, this isn't about the AFL it is about NRL and as far as I am concerned this is a major win for the NRL. MMM promote the crap out of themselves and their product and the NRL is in a good position. 2GB don't care about RL, they take it for granted not even traveling outside of Sydney for matches when they only do a few games and spend 5 hours talking anything but RL prior to kick off on Saturdays.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I hate AFL as much the next person but how is MMM broadcasting the games any different then ABC doing Waratards games on a Sat night??

2GB only did 530 games. So many times you couldn't hear the game. Even taking their clashes out. 2GB have no excuse not take the games.

Not according to the Yawnion nut job Parra

He thinks coverage has decreased :crazy:

The ARLC has done a very good job of limiting access to league on the radio. Why? Only they know.

The ABC no longer call the waratahs over the NRL btw.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly, this isn't about the AFL it is about NRL and as far as I am concerned this is a major win for the NRL. MMM promote the crap out of themselves and their product and the NRL is in a good position.

Exactly. 90% of their audience normally would be blue collar workers these same guys that traditionally followed Footy. They should be a good fit.

Having it on FM allows virtually 100% access to a game. You have FM on every phone. Every car stereo a good move.

For them to more games they have the more chance of getting listeners from Nova etc. So they have to use it.

1 game a week clashes. Not ideal but before last season 2GB only did 3 games a week. Leaving the rest to ABC. ABC does a great job but does other sports aswell Now there's a competitor 2GB can take that game and try and get the audience over too theie station.

Parra

Referee
I know I shouldn't be feeding the troll. But you can't just expect your bully tactics to work here El D.

You lied. I called you out on it.

Parra

Referee
Yep. I'll stand by it. No names. No lies.

Try it sometime. It'll give you some backbone.

Parra

Referee
I can see you are confused. Here is what I posted that has you so steamed up. Save you looking back and getting even more confused. Maybe LU needs a leg-up program.

The ARLC has done a very good job of limiting access to league on the radio. Why? Only they know.

Quidgybo

Bench
Would it still be "limiting" if every game is available Worldwide via any Internet connected smartphone, tablet or computer able to output to a Bluetooth enabled radio? The devil is in the detail and we're yet to hear that.

Leigh.

Parra

Referee
Would it still be "limiting" if every game is available Worldwide via any Internet connected smartphone, tablet or computer able to output to a Bluetooth enabled radio? The devil is in the detail and we're yet to hear that.

Leigh.

In 2013. Yes it would. Opening the radio rights is a no-brainer.

Parra

Referee
We can put it to bed El D.

You call me a yawnion boy.

I call you a bell-end.

There's nowhere else to go.

Latest posts