What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Patorick

Staff member
Can someone please explain:

How Dan Ginnane is an "NRL expert"?

How Tony Squires is getting jobs on Rugby League shows?

Finally, exactly how will the MMM coverage be better than 2GB (don't listen to it; but know enough of it) and the ABC (David Morrow notwithstanding)?

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
So for the first 4 rounds, looks like all 8 games will be heard on commercial radio in Sydney. The general schedule seems to be:

Thurs night (where applicable): Triple M
Friday night: 2GB Sydney/Triple M Brisbane
Saturday: 2GB 2 games
Sunday: 2GB 2pm, Triple M 3pm and 6.30pm
Monday: Triple M 7pm

I'm guessing the ABC will do whatever they feel like (Friday night NSW/QLD split notwithstanding). Not much detail yet on regional stations, but KOFM Newcastle is apparently taking all of MMMSyd's coverage (including Sun from Midday), while other stations will take selected match coverage

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
He said there's only a few clashes, but the AFL contract was signed before the NRL one so Triple M would have to fulfill terms in the AFL contract.

Also said that he, Girds, and Matty would be live in Melbourne on Sunday, rather than calling the game off a TV in Sydney

Patorick said:
Finally, exactly how will the MMM coverage be better than 2GB (don't listen to it; but know enough of it) and the ABC (David Morrow notwithstanding)?

Well, they'll talk rugby league (which GB dont do, apart from when theres a game on, and even then thats no guarantee), but will (I imagine) do so without being overly serious and without Debbie Spillane

Brutus

Referee
Well done Triple M for giving the AFL precedence over Sydney's number one sport when the two clash.

Let's hope the ABC are done with the Debbie Spillane experiment.

Big Sam

First Grade
What happens after Round 5 with 2 FNF matches? Will one be on MMM and the other on 2GB?

Patorick

Staff member
Also said that he, Girds, and Matty would be live in Melbourne on Sunday, rather than calling the game off a TV in Sydney

Well, they'll talk rugby league (which GB dont do, apart from when theres a game on, and even then thats no guarantee), but will (I imagine) do so without being overly serious and without Debbie Spillane
Meant more the calls of the game, but point taken.
Well done Triple M for giving the AFL precedence over Sydney's number one sport when the two clash.

Let's hope the ABC are done with the Debbie Spillane experiment.
*Deep breath into microphone*
Yep. Hopefully less pre-recorded segments with music in the background too.

Jeffmister

Juniors
What happens after Round 5 with 2 FNF matches? Will one be on MMM and the other on 2GB?
Dan Ginnane was saying on the Rush Hour that sometimes 2GB & MMM will air the same FNF game and sometimes it will be the split between the two games.

Version 6

Staff member
The Swans agreement pre-dates the NRL one. In the event of a clash, Ginnane has said they'll call the AFL but call a different NRL game that week (so the same overall number of games, I'm assuming).

They've been quite up front about it and if what they say about the nature of the contract with the AFL is true, there isn't much they can do at this point.

They are a very rugby league focussed station and I'm sure this won't happen again with the AFL rights expire.

Rosetta

Juniors
BEoCofECIAEUnLA.jpg

applesauce

Bench
That is so good for Brisbane. Was sick of knowing the Lions and MNF were on level pegging in terms of coverage.

The Gambler

Juniors
The Swans agreement pre-dates the NRL one. In the event of a clash, Ginnane has said they'll call the AFL but call a different NRL game that week (so the same overall number of games, I'm assuming).

They've been quite up front about it and if what they say about the nature of the contract with the AFL is true, there isn't much they can do at this point.

They are a very rugby league focussed station and I'm sure this won't happen again with the AFL rights expire.

Agreed.

Brutus

Referee
That is so good for Brisbane. Was sick of knowing the Lions and MNF were on level pegging in terms of coverage.

And it was Gallop's mob that allowed such a pathetic situation.

Great to see Triple M calling plenty of games each weekend.

Fatty and Gibbsy will also be a bonus.

Latest posts