What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

Teddyboy

First Grade
Tim, I think you'll find that it is American Football first, daylight to second. The crowd figures are really quite staggering when compared any other football code.

As much we wish the AMNRL the best of luck, it really is just a step up from park footy.

Yes but america is massive and there are not NFL teams next to each other.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
there was already 18k at the game, i only said 30k. Im sure parra fans that didnt get the chance to see their team that would have liked to would have made up 12k!
The 18K would not have magically reappeared at the SFS. It is wrong to assume that everyone sets their plans to the New Ltd timetable. And besides, it was not about accomodating Parra fans. You needed to finish in the top 4 before making presumptions. People keep forgetting this.

Pazza said:
but hey im just saying! hate seeing people on this forum talking about how sh*t sydney crowds are when good parra fans like me didnt even try and get a ticket cause a sell out was looming!
Then do something about it. Like, make an effort! Sounds like you didn't even try.

Kogarah was a beacon throughout 2009. The highest crowd average for a Sydney ground, only second to Homebush. What more could have Saints and supporters done to prove the ground as a success story?

Perhaps those people whinging about low crowd numbers should do something about their own backyard. Try increasing your own crowd average, rather than trying to drag down one of Sydney's most popular grounds.

If people standing on hills is where the game is at in 2009 then we should throw in the towel and say ok AFL take over.

As I watched a college game last week, a college game, not NFL (played in a massive stadium in front of a crowd of 90,000, I was dreading the thought of the Dragons game being beamed into the US on Spike TV. It would look like park footy.

exactly....some of you must have been to america. this is a country where even the air force has a stadium....its a 50k+ in colorado, and is used in college footy.

the country has something like 10 or more cities with a million people, NY has about 10, LA about 5, chicago 3 million.

Sydney would seem most like LA in size and population....spread out. Typically LA has trouble with NFL teams and keeping them operating, but whether its the city spread, or other reasons, I don't know.

The one big difference is that Americans really get behind their sporting teams. College footy is massive. Even college baseball is pretty big.

But then America has probably another 30 cities with a pop of just under 1m-about 350,000.....thats cities slightly bigger than the gold coast down to the central coast in size. Then there would have to be another 50-100 easily the size of newcastle, around 100-150k.

Its a BIG country. Then again it does have 300 million. Its no wonder with a spread of cities like that, that they get huge crowds to sporting events. Imagine 10 brisbanes in Australia, or 10 townsvilles....endless streams of fans willing to attend matches.

One of the major problems australia always had was the distance from everywhere.....for instance, NY is close to Europe and south america, and as such it was a mecca for trade as it was a port city and a manufacturing giant, and a gateway to the world. Same with London, it extended its arms wide to trade with the world, being close to many countries and having power. Well heaps of immigrants arrived in american via NY from europe, and of course a stack from south america too. These days, in NY they dont have many factories, and its all gone ritzy....expensive...its more the shop-front for business and financial institutions. Factories are up in the river in Jersey...!!! LOL

Sydney on the other hand, in spite of the 4m population never had that luxury. It is just too far away. At best a stop-over, but getting no more traffic than it needs to. Australia has another problem too, the country is too dry overall.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
The 18K would not have magically reappeared at the SFS. It is wrong to assume that everyone sets their plans to the New Ltd timetable. And besides, it was not about accomodating Parra fans. You needed to finish in the top 4 before making presumptions. People keep forgetting this.

i am happy for Saints to have the home ground advantage, im just sick of hearing people on here saying that the game only pulled 18k when so many parra and saints fans missed out!

Then do something about it. Like, make an effort! Sounds like you didn't even try.

Kogarah was a beacon throughout 2009. The highest crowd average for a Sydney ground, only second to Homebush. What more could have Saints and supporters done to prove the ground as a success story?

Perhaps those people whinging about low crowd numbers should do something about their own backyard. Try increasing your own crowd average, rather than trying to drag down one of Sydney's most popular grounds.

no i didnt try! im not havin a go at kogarah at all, im just saying the crowd would have been a lot higher than 18k if in a larger venue! dont lecture me on other sh*t!

So lets see which state can win the battle of the games this week...

Well Suncorp is surely over 40k as only single's remain in the white section.

People reckon Sydney is getting around 25-30k.

hmmmmmm

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
PBB, that's like arguing who's going to get the bigger SOO crowd. It'll always be NSW, we have the bigger stadium. This weekend - you have the bigger stadium, you'll win.

I'll express post you the medal in honour of your state's achievement.

PBB, that's like arguing who's going to get the bigger SOO crowd. It'll always be NSW, we have the bigger stadium. This weekend - you have the bigger stadium, you'll win.

I'll express post you the medal in honour of your state's achievement.

man I just want you to sell out the venue..

lol......good luck!

isn't sydney the greatest rl city on earth? kids are born with steedens down there.....

and you cant even match us to 40k so far!

get outta here....sydney =lame....

Have Brisbane sold Suncorp out yet? :lol:

isn't sydney the greatest rl city on earth? kids are born with steedens down there.....

and you cant even match us to 40k so far!

get outta here....sydney =lame....

our stadium will sell out. the way the sfs is, a 35k crowd will provide the illusion the ground is full. small consolation, until the 60th minute when they call out the crowd.

we are down to single seats in all categories...a sell out is a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oooo, deflection, isn't that our specialty? Nice work ;-)

I asked a question, you didn't answer.

Has Brisbane sold out Suncorp yet?

It's one of those ones where you can say YES or NO.

Let's try again...

Oooo, deflection, isn't that our specialty? Nice work ;-)

I asked a question, you didn't answer.

Has Brisbane sold out Suncorp yet?

It's one of those ones where you can say YES or NO.

Let's try again...

lol

that question!!! sounded rhetorical.....

no deflection, you imbecile....as I advanced the line about the same subject.

ok...look.....suncorp has sold 40,000+....could even be 45-50k....its single seats.

Sydney has sold 25k-30k.

We are double yours almost.

Sydney sux.

Unless you try and bend the figures, you'll just have to accept we are kicking your ass, and sydney has been dissapointing. to sell out, you only have to get to 45k...and we are already beyond that.

yes! this is a piss up the wall contest....but only because you guys stated it...I would never start one. I am proving you wrong, to open your eyes....sydney sux, and people need to drum up some support.
Maybe you can stand on the street corner and wave a sign....

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
exactly....some of you must have been to america. this is a country where even the air force has a stadium....its a 50k+ in colorado, and is used in college footy.

the country has something like 10 or more cities with a million people, NY has about 10, LA about 5, chicago 3 million.

Sydney would seem most like LA in size and population....spread out. Typically LA has trouble with NFL teams and keeping them operating, but whether its the city spread, or other reasons, I don't know.

The one big difference is that Americans really get behind their sporting teams. College footy is massive. Even college baseball is pretty big.

But then America has probably another 30 cities with a pop of just under 1m-about 350,000.....thats cities slightly bigger than the gold coast down to the central coast in size. Then there would have to be another 50-100 easily the size of newcastle, around 100-150k.

Its a BIG country. Then again it does have 300 million. Its no wonder with a spread of cities like that, that they get huge crowds to sporting events. Imagine 10 brisbanes in Australia, or 10 townsvilles....endless streams of fans willing to attend matches.

One of the major problems australia always had was the distance from everywhere.....for instance, NY is close to Europe and south america, and as such it was a mecca for trade as it was a port city and a manufacturing giant, and a gateway to the world. Same with London, it extended its arms wide to trade with the world, being close to many countries and having power. Well heaps of immigrants arrived in american via NY from europe, and of course a stack from south america too. These days, in NY they dont have many factories, and its all gone ritzy....expensive...its more the shop-front for business and financial institutions. Factories are up in the river in Jersey...!!! LOL

Sydney on the other hand, in spite of the 4m population never had that luxury. It is just too far away. At best a stop-over, but getting no more traffic than it needs to. Australia has another problem too, the country is too dry overall.

And you forgit that Australia has 3 oval ball codes while America has one.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
You know, to ignore PBB would be stupid. Despite being a douche, that US post was a nice mild read, i'm sure he has others.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i am happy for Saints to have the home ground advantage, im just sick of hearing people on here saying that the game only pulled 18k when so many parra and saints fans missed out!
But you didn't even try to buy a ticket yourself. It was more about you not wanting to go to Kogarah. Or maybe you weren't as confident of coming away with a win.
Pazza said:
no i didnt try! im not havin a go at kogarah at all, im just saying the crowd would have been a lot higher than 18k if in a larger venue! dont lecture me on other sh*t!
It's not a lecture to state the crowd figures at Kogarah this year. It's a fact that Kogarah has outdrawn all other Sydney grounds (barring Homebush) in 2009.

And it's not a lecture to point out the flaw in your argument. How can you possibly make assumptions about the crowd number when you, along with other Parra supporters, didn't even make the effort?

Latest posts