What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

dgsfan

Juniors
Ok, you do realise that makes no sense yes? Just checking..

However many fingers it takes to strum a banjo I confess to not knowing, but my educated guess is, it is a finger too far for you. Inbreeding is a hideous thing, and I commend you for not letting it stop you from living your life as best you can.

Lame.

Dogs crowd was poor. St George crowd was poor. It didn't sell out until like a day before. What makes people think 15000 people would have bought tickets on the day? Melobourne crowd was good.

Ratings for Friday game was mediocre. Ratings for Saturday games were poor. Ratings for Sunday game was good in Sydney but mediocre in Brisbane but with no qld team that's to be expected. So overall I'd say week one of finals were disappointing. Ratings weren't any different to the regular season. Infact ratings in the last round were higher. Also crowds were about the same too except in Melbourne.

The thing to look forward too though is that next week suncorp will sell out, ratings will be good in both cities. Sfs won't sell out but ratings should be good. Preliminary finals will be massive. Grand final is looking like an absolute blockbuster this year. Good chance of a Sydney team and an out of state team which is great for ratings.

lockyrulz

Juniors
lol. Qlder calling inbreading hideous. I thought it was the national sport up there.
National/QLD? Can't take a trick can you?

Anyway, enough bullsh*t, although it is fun. The original point I was making was Brisbane has grown into a city more recently, and needs more teams, and Sydney is poor. Redcliffe/Sunny Coast or Ipswitch/Logan are most likelies but with so many places wanting a club, and the titans only recently introduced, may have to wait for a Sydney club to relocate or fold, possibly Manly or Cronulla.

Brisbane doesn't need another team. I agree Queensland does though.

Sydney isn't poor, but it certainly needs less NRL teams.

Last edited:

ona2001

Juniors
National/QLD? Can't take a trick can you?

Brisbane doesn't need another team. I agree Queensland does though.

Sydney isn't poor, but it certainly needs less NRL teams.

Any new north Queensland bid IMO bites a little too close to the Cowboys' territory and a few games in Rockhampton each season is better than giving the area a stand-alone team which I fear will have trouble getting numbers and sponsorship, as will Toowoomba and the Sunshine Coast for the next few years.

IMO we'll see only three Sydney sides unmerged or vanished in fifteen years time, Canterbury, Parramatta and the Roosters. St George and the Tigers with their broader bases might hang on. The pokie tax and pressure from other codes will claim the rest as standalone clubs in one way or another.

bobmar28

Bench
For an 8.30pm Bulldogs v Knights match which was overshadowed media-wise by a standalone Sunday afternoon Dragons-Eels game.

Now be honest Willow, how many do you think the Dragons v Eels would've attracted at the SFS or ANZ yesterday? Taking into account that your average potential ticket buyer is far more likely to be attracted to a bigger stadium for this "event" style game rather than an uncomfortable suburban ground when full.

On tele it looked like just another club game.

I'm just thankful the Dragons game wasn't the one shown on Spike TV.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Any new north Queensland bid IMO bites a little too close to the Cowboys' territory and a few games in Rockhampton each season is better than giving the area a stand-alone team which I fear will have trouble getting numbers and sponsorship, as will Toowoomba and the Sunshine Coast for the next few years.

IMO we'll see only three Sydney sides unmerged or vanished in fifteen years time, Canterbury, Parramatta and the Roosters. St George and the Tigers with their broader bases might hang on. The pokie tax and pressure from other codes will claim the rest as standalone clubs in one way or another.

I don't know about three, maybe four or five would be ideal.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For an 8.30pm Bulldogs v Knights match which was overshadowed media-wise by a standalone Sunday afternoon Dragons-Eels game.
Presumably excuses only work one way?

Brutus said:
Now be honest Willow, how many do you think the Dragons v Eels would've attracted at the SFS or ANZ yesterday?
I've aleady given a figure of between 20,000-25,000. It based on what happpend with ticket sales and the crowds achieved throughout the weekend. Not plucked out of the air like some.
Brutus said:
Taking into account that your average potential ticket buyer is far more likely to be attracted to a bigger stadium for this "event" style game rather than an uncomfortable suburban ground when full.

Well I think you're still missing the point in all this. This was home final - it was earned by the club and a a reward for the fans. It's not about accomodating opposition supporters, latecomers or 'neutrals'. Sorry if that's not understood, but they are the rules and they were well advertised at the beginning of the season.

Taking away that promise from the home team and their fans would have been unprofessional on a number of levels.

No other club is being asked to bend just to accomodate the selfish whims of blow-ins. Last year at Brookvale, it wasn't even a consideration. Why was that?
Brutus said:
On tele it looked like just another club game.
On TV, Kogarah looked like a packed ground. Because it was

At times, Homebush looked like a cavern.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah the irony of telling someone they're plucking figures out of the air and you can't even get your own right.
What figures have I not got right?

Were there more 21,000 at Homebush? Did any game in Sydney get more than 25,000 last weekend?

I'm curious if you actually have anything to back up whatever it you're trying to say. Or maybe you're looking to have an argument just for the sake of it. So out of character Timmah.

It seems that you still think the scribblings of gossip columnists and the tabloid media are in some way related to 'facts'.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
On TV, Kogarah looked like a packed ground. Because it was

At times, Homebush looked like a cavern.

Look I get the whole "home ground advantage rant. It was the Dragons right to do what they god damn well liked. We get that.

But if you think 20-25k would've been the crowd for that game at the SFS or Homebush you are seriously underselling the value of rugby league and the two clubs in question.

Kogarah didn't sell-out in a day because it's...well..Kogarah.

Parra v Tigers 34k on a fine Friday night

Parra v Dragons on a fine Sunday in a finals match at the SFS?

I think we'll just settle for a difference of opinion.

user_nat

Coach
Ticket Frenzy For Broncos-Dragons Final
"OVER 8000 tickets for Saturday's Broncos-Dragons final have gone in the first 20 minutes of sale to the general public this morning, but there are still over 20,000 seats left.
Patrons are urged to get in fast today to avoid being disappointed after season ticket holders and NRL.com members snatched over 17,000 tickets yesterday and last night."

Broncos.com.au

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Look I get the whole "home ground advantage rant. It was the Dragons right to do what they god damn well liked. We get that.
It was one of the key arguments in favour of keeping the game at Kogarah.

Actually, I don't think you do get it Brutus. If you did, you wouldn't be trying to build up a case against Kogarah based on some News Ltd hearsay. I assume that you have a thing against the ground. That's OK, you're a 'neutral'. We get that.

Brutus said:
But if you think 20-25k would've been the crowd for that game at the SFS or Homebush you are seriously underselling the value of rugby league and the two clubs in question.
Look, you asked for a figure and I gave it. I can't help it if you don't like the answer.

There seems to be a misconception that the 18K or 19K that went to Kogarah were guaranteed walk ups to the SFS or Homebush.

Given the lateness of the proposed venue switch, and the other crowd number at Homebush, I think it's a fair to say any match at the SFS would have struggled to get 25K. Personally, given my schedule, I know I couldn't have made the match if it was moved to Homebush. Probably the same for the SFS. Plus people aren't going to just drop what their doing or materialise at a venue to watch a team that they may not even support. I suspect plenty of people already had plans that didn't fit in with the News Ltd timetable.

It's madness to think that you can stuff around with fixtures at the 11th hour and not think that there'll be a drop off in attendance.
Brutus said:
Kogarah didn't sell-out in a day because it's...well..Kogarah.
So can I assume that you have now reached the point where attempts at reasoned argument is no longer the go?

It's average is up. In fact, Kogarah has the highest average of any of the Sydney one club grounds at 16,643. That's more than the SFS (15,915) and only a little below Homebush (17,515).

So your 'because it's Kogarah argument' simply isn't backed up facts. Truth is, Kogarah has had a great year for crowds. Rather than try to rubbish it all the time, and get petty about it, why not celebrate it as a rugby league success story?

Brutus said:
Parra v Tigers 34k on a fine Friday night

Parra v Dragons on a fine Sunday in a finals match at the SFS?
A game that was firmly fixed in the draw with weeks of promotion.

A game controversially switched at the last minute to make a few extra $ for News Ltd, alienating fans and sponsors.

Brutus said:
I think we'll just settle for a difference of opinion.
I have no problems with you having a diference of opinion with me Brutus. But can you answer my earlier question? Why wasn't Brookvale subjected to the same pressure to move in 2008?

Brutus

Referee
I have no problems with you having a diference of opinion with me Brutus. But can you answer my earlier question? Why wasn't Brookvale subjected to the same pressure to move in 2008?

Because the potential for a massive crowd for that particular game was not as great. Not many matches involving Manly are seen as huge crowd pullers simply because Manly fans rarely travel unless it's the big one.

We saw Manly play St George in week 2 of the finals in 2006 and there were just on 30,000 there. For a week 1 finals clash (pulling figures out of air how dare I) involving the two sides you could take 5-10k off that crowd, making it rather pointless to move it.

I saw great potential for a sell-out or near sell-out at the SFS for that particular game last Sunday regardless of the slowness of ticket sales for Kogarah Take 2. Yes another game at the same venue the two teams played at the week before (yes I understand it was the Dragons' right to play there, I'm not blaming them at all although in hindsight Dousty...)

BTW, Parra v Tigers was not given "weeks" of promotion and it was a great effort on behalf of "westie" Tigers and Eels supporters to get to the ground on a Friday night.

If you think that game was an easier sell than a final between the Dragons and Eels then good luck to you.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
Ticket Frenzy For Broncos-Dragons Final
"OVER 8000 tickets for Saturday's Broncos-Dragons final have gone in the first 20 minutes of sale to the general public this morning, but there are still over 20,000 seats left.
Patrons are urged to get in fast today to avoid being disappointed after season ticket holders and NRL.com members snatched over 17,000 tickets yesterday and last night."

Broncos.com.au
It will sell out.
Everyone is taking their sweet *ss time like I was lol.
When I was looking the site actually went down for a few minutes.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Because the potential for a massive crowd for that particular game was not as great.
So essentially you're saying that Manly were allowed to keep their home ground because they are less popular, while Saints should give up their home ground for being too popular?

If so, it doesn't sound like much of a reward for supporting a team all year.

Brutus said:
Not many matches involving Manly are seen as huge crowd pullers simply because Manly fans rarely travel unless it's the big one.
Do you think it would have been less?

Of course, we don't really know the answers.

Perhaps the real reason why there was no debate last year was because News Ltd didn't think, or didn't realise, that they stood to make a profit.

Brutus

Referee
So essentially you're saying that Manly were allowed to keep their home ground because they are less popular, while Saints should give up their home ground for being too popular?

If so, it doesn't sound like much of a reward for supporting a team all year.

It's obvious the chook raffle mentality still plagues our game. What is the lowest Dragons SFS semi crowd you can remember? I'll bet it's not lower than bloody 18k which is embarrassing for two "power" Sydney teams in a final.

How many games did you play at Kogarah this year before Sunday's final..4?

At the SFS.. 2?

It's not like Kogarah is this wonderful home ground advantage anyway. Adam MacDougall quite enjoyed playing there earlier in the year and so did the Bulldogs until Steve Clark decided to repay some old red and white debts.

On the Manly thing, would you say it's far easier for Dragons supporters to get to the SFS than Manly supporters to get to the same ground?

The NRL needs to take control and put matches in suitable stadiums for finals. Had Sunday been Dragons v Penrith then Kogarah would have been fine. But Dragons v resurgent Parra? Common sense is what's needed.

Latest posts