What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
I would prefer to give Herring a run in the preseason in the halves because the kid can tackle and has a massive kicking game. Hunt could then play as a running half.

Liddle and Flanno junior to alternative between 9 & 14.

Ben Rumble to trial at full back with Lomax and Sloan.
o Herring: I've been on the Herring train for 2yrs, but it feels like he must be slipping down the pecking order, we would have locked him up if we thought there was any chance another club would buy him. His big boot would be good though... think he prefers left also.

But we are playing in the recruitment kiddy pool while most clubs have 1 or 2 rep or atleast genuine 1st graders in most positions... we are so far off the mark and hoping for just above average juniors to save us... we need players from external while we rebuild from within.

o Liddle: Shane seems keen on a hooker, so he must see Liddle as a 14, and Mulheissen I dunno maybe needs more time in NSW Cup.. Connor feels like yet another of these 'ok' players, I'm reluctant to keep investing in him..

o Rumble: I would support him in Cup for sure.. I suspect though he might play on the wing if Sloan drops back.. I have to say though that seeing young Faalogo go like the clappers for Samoa (up against Australia) with 30mins of nrl behind him.. physically bashing everyone he could.. like a Bula but smaller/faster.. just reminds me how average our young talent is.. Amone/Sloan... just a shadow of Faalogo/Bula. Sullivan atleast i think delivered on most of his promise, but he was always injured... and never got momentum or combinations.

Faalogo stuck behing Papenhausen and Meaney.. ffs.. what we would do for any of those 3.

TheRev

Coach
Flanno is in a hell of a spot.. he doesn't want to pay massive overs for players, which probably worked back in the Sharks rebuild years... but 2023 is one of the worst times to be rebuilding.. clubs have locked up talent 2and3 deep due by using the cap increase money... Shane is a patient guy though, and he/we may have to cop another 12 months of pain.. glad its him though and not Ryles/Hornby/Young in charge of the roster.

qld redvee

Juniors
Im just hoping that after november 1 we have a few announcements and we go hard for great signing or 2 for 25
hoping that once dean is officially onboard one of those up and coming cowboy forwards appear on the books.
Our squad is still uncertain once amone is sentenced then his contract / spot will be clearer and young Cody and his horrendous health issue need to be assessed .
I hope flanno may try to lever meaney out of storm it may fix their problem and it will go a long way fixing our number 1

Crush

Coach
Things are not looking good in dragons land

Without a doubt we have the worst roster in the competition and it will keep getting worse unless Flanno signs on some players

Amone will definitely get sacked

We are obviously waiting for other players who were tapped on the shoulder to find other clubs e.g Paul Turner , BMM , Max Feagai

Still no clue what’s going on with Ramsey in regards to retirement

And coming into 2025 based off rumours we will possibly lose Ben Hunt , Su’a and Suli

It’s looking grim
Kinda nothing to lose though right?
Lose Hunt, Su’a, Suli.
OK, not great, but with them we came 16th.
We’ll sign a few, I’m feeling OK about it.
Flanno will change the joint.

The Word

Juniors
Flanno is in a hell of a spot.. he doesn't want to pay massive overs for players, which probably worked back in the Sharks rebuild years... but 2023 is one of the worst times to be rebuilding.. clubs have locked up talent 2and3 deep due by using the cap increase money... Shane is a patient guy though, and he/we may have to cop another 12 months of pain.. glad its him though and not Ryles/Hornby/Young in charge of the roster.
True. I'm expecting him to show some balls and go for whoever the hell he wants for 2025. He's got that attitude "I don't give a sh.t who I offend, which coach, which club. If I like your player I'm going to have a crack at getting him". That's the kind of attitude we've been lacking.
But don't count him out for giving us a decent 2024, not too late. I remember Penrith couldn't wait to get rid of Luke Lewis, too old, too slow. He was absolutely immense for the sharks in the year they won the title. There's every chance another club releases a player that they, you and I think are past it, but he can spot something we can't.

TheRev

Coach
Something Curtis said on the RedV podcast this week I thought was interesting.. I mean im sure hes probably just connecting the same dots we are.... but he reckoned we would be disappointed on Nov 1 for a few days when we lose a player we didnt want to lose (Su'a I assume) but the wheels were in motion and a few names would come a few days later... he was oddly specific which I thought was strange..

possm

Coach
Wont happen, Flanagan will wanna keep Hunt to partner his son more than ever now Amone is likely to be sacked as BOD will wanna avoid any further bad culture pervading the club. Sorry Flanno your boy is no better a game manager than Hunt so we are facing another poor season.
K Flannagan and Lui to be our halves combo. Move Hunt on and buy Tracy, Lui, and the forwards we need.

Our coach will get the best out of Kyle, you can count on that.

TruSaint

Referee
Me hoping for news... :)

just-checking-in-on-you-cookie-monster.gif

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Apropos rumours. Interesting media articles this morning that the Storm have contacted a club around their interest in Papenhausen. Supposedly given they have a gun coming through and Paps recent injury run they are not averse to a possible move. Could the club be us?

Dragon David

First Grade
Apropos rumours. Interesting media articles this morning that the Storm have contacted a club around their interest in Papenhausen. Supposedly given they have a gun coming through and Paps recent injury run they are not averse to a possible move. Could the club be us?
We need a fullback of the calibre of Papenhausen. When fit, and that is the significant emphasis, he can be dangerous and provide the answer to the speed we need.

The Storm do have Meaney and the young up and coming Samoan guy, Faalogo and they need to offload some players or player to get some formidable forwards as reported in foxsports news -
"Craig Bellamy and the Storm reportedly are looking to improve their forward pack and any cash freed up by a move for Papenhuyzen will likely be used in this area."

Hopefully we are the club but it would be wise of course that in his contract we have some conditions relating to his health/fitness and injury situation.

So if the Storm are after some improved forwards, bloody hell then what chances are we in getting any good ones?

I doubt that we would be looking at Pappy.
Flanagan has indicated that he sees a lot of potential in Sloan, has also said Lomax will be given a shot at the number 1 jumper.
The big invisible is some sort of official update from the club or Flanagan as to where things are at with Ramsey.
Some players are back at training soon, so an overall summary of the squad status by say mid November would be greatly appreciated by all the fans.

Trifili13

Juniors
If the Storm have Papenhausen, Meaney and Faalogo to play fullback and everyone would agree that Papenhausen is a gun yet they are allowing him to seek pastures new, what does that tell you? To me it means he is high risk to injury and the Storm are moving him on so as to manage their roster like a top club, ie they are ruthless. While he is a top player when fully fit, is he worth the injury or concussion risk, especially that we are trying to get out of the cellar?