What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

since77

Juniors
I have 2.
1. Not really Dragon related but was. Not really a rumour either as reported in the media but the 5-6 name shortlist for the Parra job was missing "Mary" oddly. Especially his management or media mates were on the front foot putting his name forward as soon as BA got sacked quoting how he helped coach them for 1 year when they made the GF. Surprising really.
That's a shame for poor old Mary isn't it. If only the field was 2 metres shorter he might have been in with a chance.....
You could also say he was only 85 minutes away from getting the Parramatta coaching job......

possm

Coach
Huge no to Royce Hunt, not what we need at all. Stefano huge yes, still only 23, will hit his peak in the next 3-4 years and will continue to improve. I'd be looking at getting Stefano as well as someone like Griffin Neame with Cowboys in a huge cap squeeze. They are going to have to take care of deals for Cotter, Robson, Holmes and Neame all off contract at the same time, with all but Holmes due big upgrades. They simply can't keep all of Robson, Neame and Cotter considering no one will take Taumalolo off their hands. Then, theoretically if we had Stefano and Neame for example in 2026, you'd be looking at T Couchman as your lock, with Ryan on the bench considering players like RFM and BMM probably aren't here anymore by then. You could even fit another current lower grade player onto the bench (Loko, Latu, Stewart, for example), and this is how you progress your younger players through into first grade
In 2024 we have 3 SOO players in our roster, Hunt, Lomax, and Su'A. Out of those 3, two are or are likely to leave the club in 2025. Lomax and Hunt.

In my opinion we have enough depth as indicated by the performance of our reserve grade side. So, for me it is a matter of signing SOO players for 2025 and beyound.

Other clubs have shown that you need a good mix between marquee players and those young players who have good potential.

Props
I would sign two marquee props to start with and get rid of our two least remarkable props. (not juniors).

Hooker
We require a top-line hooker. Liddle to 14.

Edge Forwards
We need a 17 who can play edge forward and center. Let go of our least effective edge forward.

Wingers
We have enough winger depth to see us through 2025.

Fullback
One of our big problem areas. Sloan is not consistent enough and only really excels in attack. We need to buy a top-of-the-line Fullback for 2025.

Halfback
We need a marquee halfback to replace Hunt in 2025.

Victoire

Juniors
While Sullivan may not have been the solution for us this season particularly at the price we were potentially paying, but I think it's foolish to write him off at this point of his career. His progress has been hampered by various injury problems, playing under a dud coach, and now at a struggling club.

In addition to that I would suggest that young halves coming out and being consistently high NRL quality from the get-go is the exception rather than the rule. Lachy Galvin seems to fit that mould as does Katoa from the Dolphins... but the NRL is littered with halves who took years to find their feet and even faced rejection and shifting from club to club. Nicho Hynes for example was told by Manly he'd never play first grade, now he's a Dally M medallist starting 7 for the Blues. Jahrome Hughes was 24 and at his 3rd club when he wore the Storm 7 for the first time. Sam Walker spent time down in reserves. Tom Dearden was let go by Brisbane. Fogarty let go by GC. Hastings, Gamble, Cogger. Even our own Jesse Marschke making his debut at 26.

If we could get Bud back at a lower rate with the Tigers even paying some of the frieght? That's a win imo.

justadragon

Bench
While Sullivan may not have been the solution for us this season particularly at the price we were potentially paying, but I think it's foolish to write him off at this point of his career. His progress has been hampered by various injury problems, playing under a dud coach, and now at a struggling club.

In addition to that I would suggest that young halves coming out and being consistently high NRL quality from the get-go is the exception rather than the rule. Lachy Galvin seems to fit that mould as does Katoa from the Dolphins... but the NRL is littered with halves who took years to find their feet and even faced rejection and shifting from club to club. Nicho Hynes for example was told by Manly he'd never play first grade, now he's a Dally M medallist starting 7 for the Blues. Jahrome Hughes was 24 and at his 3rd club when he wore the Storm 7 for the first time. Sam Walker spent time down in reserves. Tom Dearden was let go by Brisbane. Fogarty let go by GC. Hastings, Gamble, Cogger. Even our own Jesse Marschke making his debut at 26.

If we could get Bud back at a lower rate with the Tigers even paying some of the frieght? That's a win imo.
Good call, I'd be happy to have him back without the ego and attitude, not to mention his manager trying to shaft us.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

Spot on Victorie, I like all the examples you provided of halves that were not wanted and have now come good. I think Bud may be one of those. He would kill it in England. I think he should have a season there and then come back personally for his own development. He will then be a wanted mad as I think he will kill it there.

I thought Bud wanted out as soon as Hunt extended because he did not want to wait around. Flanno then convinces Hunt to stay and Bud starts looking around. According to Buzz early last year or late 2022, Bud was going to be doing his laces in Belmore. Another Buzz rumour that proved to be 100% wrong. Apparently Gus was really keen on Bud so he must of seen something as well. I remember his first game against the Storm. He stood out big time and Young was coach. After that it went to $hite.

How blessed are Tigers though to have a guy like Galvin come out in his first year and play like he is. This kid is pretty good. Bud from memory was a Scott Fulton recruit. Scott was butting heads with Benji so it could be a case Benji did not want him in the first place and Scott persisted like he did others and they are now looking at a clean out. Good on Benji though to give Glavin a good crack. Unlike what we have seen the last 3 year or so.

Mojo

Bench
I get it that it's a pivotal role but is halfback really that challenging? In fact, I'm a little skeptical of the whole 'spine' theory. Of course every team wants good players in key positions but I reckon a cohesive team of capable players can always compete with a clunky collection of individual stars. I think this is one of the most attractive aspects of rugby league. It certainly challenges ego as a motive. Nothing is more dysfunctional than a player who believes he is bigger and better than the team.

Dragon David

First Grade
I get it that it's a pivotal role but is halfback really that challenging? In fact, I'm a little skeptical of the whole 'spine' theory. Of course every team wants good players in key positions but I reckon a cohesive team of capable players can always compete with a clunky collection of individual stars. I think this is one of the most attractive aspects of rugby league. It certainly challenges ego as a motive. Nothing is more dysfunctional than a player who believes he is bigger and better than the team.
To me a good half back controls both the backs and forwards. It is his controlling influence that can make the team. He doesn't have to be flashy just manage both the backs and forwards and sets up play for the team. He needs to be a good communicator and very importantly a good reader of the trend of the game at hand - where is there the biggest weakness we play our strengths to?

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes, halfback is extremely challenging at times and is easily the most important position on the field. You'd be surprised how many good players actually have no idea what they're doing out there, they're just good footy players who play well in their position, but often don't think plays ahead of time. The halfback is crucial in ensuring 12 other players on the field do what is needed to get to where the team needs to be. You then take on a huge amount of the kicking burden, need to be clinical in starting off plays that result in tries, and at the top level deal with huge criticism if the team isn't performing

St Tangles

Bench

justadragon

Bench

Who or what would we get in return, I’m happy to let him go if he takes Hunt with him.
What a croc that Zero Tackle is, so they are saying the Dragons season is just about over so Penrith should take Lomax. Ah right, does this remind you of anything Dragons 22 DEF Penrith 10 last Saturday !!!