What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The run home

Chipmunk

Coach
So presuming that the Cowboys beat the Sharks tomorrow night, they will move into 5th position on 30 points.

What a last round we have coming up... Here are the scenarios as they can unfold over the weekend.

Roosters play Souths at Allianz on Thursday night, with both teams having a shot at the minor premiership. The loser will run as low as 3rd, but all teams above them are in Sydney, so it isn't going to be a huge disaster and they could end up with a week 1 final at their home ground in any case.

Broncos v Storm on Friday in Melbourne - Both need to win to have any shot at a Top 8 finish. If they both lose they are a big chance of missing the Top 8. Melbourne also need to win to keep their chances of making the Top 4.

We play the Raiders in the cold of the berra... If the Storm win then we have a chance of making the Top 8. If Broncos win then we're really just playing for fun.

Cowboys play Manly in Townsville. All Manly has to do is win this game and they are minor premiers. Lose and the worst they can finish is 2nd. Cowboys need to win to not only have a shot at the Top 4, but if they lose they will more than likely miss out on a home final, if Melbourne beat the Broncos the previous night. Home Finals obviously being a key for the interstate teams.

Titans v Bulldogs on the Gold Coast. Games played earlier in the weekend will decide whether Bulldogs have anything to play for, but if games go certain ways then the Bulldogs could either be playing for a spot in the top 8 and even a home final against an out of Sydney team.

Panthers v Warriors will be the last game and everything that happens over the weekend will dictate what needs to happen in this game. Panthers will more than likely have to win to make the Top 4, but depending on the results of other games, could be in a position where if they lose they will run 4th and if they win they will run 4th. If the Warriors win they will make the Top 8, as the loser of Broncos v Storm will miss out.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why is it negative, it's fact! Why pray for results to go our way when it was as simple as turning up to play yesterday (didn't even have to win, just compete) and instead of putting in a good performance they pulled a Stuart/SK performance instead!

Shows it's not about the coach then hey?

I admit previous coaches should have done more to bring more leadership to the club. Maitua backfired on Kearney, but Sticky's boy Nathan Peats was good (great actually) until injured. Arthur's brang Gower to the club.

Kornstar

Coach
Shows it's not about the coach then hey?

I admit previous coaches should have done more to bring more leadership to the club. Maitua backfired on Kearney, but Sticky's boy Nathan Peats was good (great actually) until injured. Arthur's brang Gower to the club.

Defend Kearney and Stuart all you like, they gave us 3 of the worst coached first grade teams in decades, what they did off the field can be debated but on the field they were uninspiring!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Defend Kearney and Stuart all you like, they gave us 3 of the worst coached first grade teams in decades, what they did off the field can be debated but on the field they were uninspiring!

So was that about the coaching or the quality of the rosters?

oldmancraigy

Coach

I dunno. Tell us about the Warriors this year? They loooked like crap under Elliott, but have been on top4 pace since.

Is it the coach or the quality of the roster? Since we have an invariable, one can easily conclude coaches actually do make a difference to on field performance. Pretty sure 99.9% of people would agree that a good coach makes a bad roster overacheive. And a bad coach can kill the chances of a loaded squad.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dunno. Tell us about the Warriors this year? They loooked like crap under Elliott, but have been on top4 pace since.

If players don't like their coach it doesn't mean the coach is no good.

The Warriors have always been alternately good and bad for a variety of different coaches.

Is it the coach or the quality of the roster? Since we have an invariable, one can easily conclude coaches actually do make a difference to on field performance. Pretty sure 99.9% of people would agree that a good coach makes a bad roster overacheive. And a bad coach can kill the chances of a loaded squad.

Both Michael Hagan and Ricky Stuart won premierships with teams that weren't as good the year before. Both went on to win wooden spoons too.

How do you explain that?

Kornstar

Coach

Ricky Stuart won his first back to back games since 2009, take from that whatever way you want yo spin your shit.

Kearney isn't coaching NRL anymore and remind me how he's gone coaching NZ recently?

With Hayne or without Hayne, with the last 2 coaches we have looked uninspiring on the field.

Poor set plays and poor tactics, there is a reason Arthur has won more than Kearney in 2 years and over double what Stuart did last year.

phantom eel

First Grade
Both Michael Hagan and Ricky Stuart won premierships with teams that weren't as good the year before. Both went on to win wooden spoons too.

How do you explain that?
Because a good long term coach doesn't just get a one-off result, but can successfully adapt his methods as the game itself (another variable) also changes.

None of the variables you identify are actually as fixed over time as your posts suggest they need to be, in order for your argument to make any sense at all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You guys are seriously overestimating the impact of a coach on any given season.

The Knights made the finals in two out of the three years before Bennett arrived. Since then they have made the eight only once in three years. Does this mean Bennett isn't as good as the previous coach or is there possibly factors out of his control?

If improvement is the benchmark by which to judge coaching, why do the Eels go worse in every coach's second year since Brian Smith? Could we really be signing that many duds?

Chipmunk

Coach
You guys are seriously overestimating the impact of a coach on any given season.

The Knights made the finals in two out of the three years before Bennett arrived. Since then they have made the eight only once in three years. Does this mean Bennett isn't as good as the previous coach or is there possibly factors out of his control?

If improvement is the benchmark by which to judge coaching, why do the Eels go worse in every coach's second year since Brian Smith? Could we really be signing that many duds?

Well if this is the case, then my prediction that we won't make the Top 8 again next year looks likes coming to fruition

Eelementary

Post Whore
So I'm looking at the ladder, and from what I can see, if one or more of the Warriors, Broncos and Cowboys lose next week and we win, we will make the 8 on 30 points.

I seriously thought after choking against Newcastle and the Dogs we were done and dusted, but we still have a slim, slim chance of making it.

:crazy:

Chipmunk

Coach
So I'm looking at the ladder, and from what I can see, if one or more of the Warriors, Broncos and Cowboys lose next week and we win, we will make the 8 on 30 points.

I seriously thought after choking against Newcastle and the Dogs we were done and dusted, but we still have a slim, slim chance of making it.

You need to remember that the Cowboys still get to play the Sharks in Townsville tomorrow night. I cannot see the Cowboys missing the Top 8

Eelementary

Post Whore
You need to remember that the Cowboys still get to play the Sharks in Townsville tomorrow night. I cannot see the Cowboys missing the Top 8

Yeah - out better chances rely on the Warriors and/or Broncos losing, which could both happen. Brisbanes are playing in Melbourne against a team that just lost, and the Warriors are playing in Penrith against a Panthers side that will be fired up.

Of course, it's all for nought if we can't be f**ked showing up to play on Saturday...

Kornstar

Coach

The Knights were one game away from the GF last year. This year they had their owner stop paying them along with dealing with a close mate break his neck right in front of them! Not to mention their coach admitted on national TV that he didn't care about coaching for weeks after the incident.

They have proved in the last 10 games that they are a top 8 team.

Apart from being a very ordinary coach, what other factors were against Kearney? He was handed the keys to the f**king castle!!

phantom eel

First Grade

All of those teams are playing sides higher on the ladder. It's more than a slim chance that the Broncos and Warriors in particular both lose. We need them both to lose for a win against Canberra to get us in the 8 - you can consider the Cowboys in the 8 after they put 50 on Captain Peptide's club tomorrow night.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeah - out better chances rely on the Warriors and/or Broncos losing, which could both happen. Brisbanes are playing in Melbourne against a team that just lost, and the Warriors are playing in Penrith against a Panthers side that will be fired up.

Of course, it's all for nought if we can't be f**ked showing up to play on Saturday...

Your counting on we beating Canberra

T.S Quint

Coach
Nothing matters if we don't beat Canberra.

I'm kind of hoping the players go into some sort of lockdown so they can't find out who wins the game on Friday night before they play on Saturday.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Apart from being a very ordinary coach, what other factors were against Kearney? He was handed the keys to the f**king castle!!

Yeah a real castle. He inherited the 12th place 2010 side minus Cayless, Inu, Keating, Grothe, Mateo and Tahu.

But it's cool - he was able to fill gaps in the NRL roster with graduates from our NYC side which ran last in 2010.

At least he left the club in better shape than he found it.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah a real castle. He inherited the 12th place 2010 side minus Cayless, Inu, Keating, Grothe, Mateo and Tahu.

But it's cool - he was able to fill gaps in the NRL roster with graduates from our NYC side which ran last in 2010.

At least he left the club in better shape than he found it.

The real question has to be asked, why did it get to that point?