What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Juniors
With all the money saved from not signing Jamie Lyon and letting half the sqad go they have to be saving money to get someone.

cainen

Juniors
Caged Panther said:
Channel 10 were just saying there is a bit of speculation we are chasing craig wing. Presumably as a 5/8.

This rumour has been floating around for a while now. Apparently Ricky has been looking to offload him. I've heard he's on big $$$ though at the Roosters. I hope we don't overspend on him.

I would be happy to have him in the team.

cainen

Juniors
I dunno if they'll be willing to do that because they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone better. But he's on the outta with Ricky I've heard and there was some stuff in the media about it a while ago, though they kissed and made up for the newspapers.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Apparently John Gibbs asked brandy on sports today whether craig wing was joining the panthers. Brandy was reportedly a very unconvincing I don't know.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Caged Panther said:
Apparently John Gibbs asked brandy on sports today whether craig wing was joining the panthers. Brandy was reportedly a very unconvincing I don't know.

Did Brandy directly deny it, or did he just say "he wasn't going to comment"

World of difference between both responses.

I seriously doubt there's any truth to the rumour anyway. As much as I'd love to see Wingy running around in a Penrith Jersey next year - (I think he'd compliment Gowie nicely in the halves) - Some one told me (I think it was Mick) that he's not off contract till the end of next year. As I've said on the Panthers forum; realistically if our recruitment team was interested in signing Wing, he'd have to be asking for a release from his contract with the Roosters. For a player the calibre of Wing to "want out" from the Sydney Roosters would be national headlines.

Sadly, To be quite honest, I'm convinced that it's nothing more than a rumour, and that Craig Wing hasn't even crossed Mick Leary's mind.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Mick © said:
I think its too far west for Craig Wing.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right Mick.

Sadly, I think we may be far too "West" for many star players. I think this is why we have problems attracting them.

Munky

Coach
Wing would go better at centre than 5/8th IMO. He would play exactly like Girdler.

Caged Panther

First Grade
to answer your question I didn't here brandy myself a mate told me that after stammering and stuttering for a few moment's brandy said "I don't know."

I too doubt there is to much truth to the rumour just telling you what I heard.

Caged Panther

First Grade
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19720155-23214,00.html

Panthers on prowl for Wing
By Dean Ritchie
July 8, 2006

SYDNEY Roosters utility Craig Wing has been linked with a $250,000 switch to Penrith next season if the Bondi Junction club is prepared to release him.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands the Panthers want Wing to play five-eighth after missing out on Jamie Lyon but the move hinges on whether the Roosters will let him go.

The Australia and New South Wales Origin star is under contract at Bondi Junction until the end of 2007, but he has been the subject of enormous speculation about the Roosters looking to release him for much of this year.

Panthers general manager Mick Leary last night refused to confirm or deny the 2003 premier was interested in Wing.

And Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan was adamant Wing remained "under contract until 2007".

"That's news to me - I can't help you," Leary said.

"We're sitting back having a look at all our options at the moment.

"We've got no firm offers out to anyone at the moment so it's all hypothetical.
"

There's a lot of players that we're interested in but I'm not confirming or denying whether we're interested in any high-profile player."

Advertisement:
A decision on Wing's future may become clearer after Roosters chairman Nick Politis returns from holidaying with family in Honolulu.

The Roosters may consider releasing Wing provided a rival club is willing to pick up his entire $250,000 a season salary.

Roosters chief Canavan last night said neither Penrith nor any other NRL club had telephoned to inquire about a possible release for Wing.

"There's been no call at all from his manager or any other club and the overriding fact is he's on contract next year," Canavan said.

"It's just one of those things where we're just looking for any angle we possibly can to turn our season around."

The Daily Telegraph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always thought we had no plan after Jamie Lyon, this just proves it. Absolutely disgraceful.

Kilkenny

Coach
There is abolutely no chance whatsoever WING would come to Penrith to play for the Panthers.

If the Roosters do release Craig Wing it is a done deal he will head 2 minutes down the road to the Bunnies which will allow him to maintain his normal ' Cafe Latte ' lifestyle.

Too many supporters got their hopes up with Jamie Lyon so I suggest you don't start getting excited by these rumours. Lyon was never, ever coming to Penrith and neither is Craig Wing.

Black Majik

Juniors
Hi guys...first time poster here and mad Panther fan.

My opinion on the Wing rumour...won't happen...we are in a massive pile of crap and it seems player managers are avoiding us because we don't haggle...Canavan won't do us any favours by releasing his best utility player.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Or we could go for that new Indian 5/8th in Queensland Cup with loads of "potential" - Dudbie

Or how about that up and comming junior Pakastani centre playing in Souths juniors who they reckon has the potential to be the next Mark Gasnier - Deedf**kalfausdisyeer?

Fibroman

First Grade
We must have in the vicinity of 1 million dollars room to move under the cap now with our losses and zero gains?

Big Mick

Referee
Wouldn't mind picking up Danny Nutley...for a year or 2...

Till Grant is ready for first grade.

He'd go very well with our side and also would pick up the slack in defence with Galea leaving