What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Steve Kearney Thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There is still a place for burt in the team but its only at #14 off the bench in my eyes. He could cover a backline injury and even though I have never seen him at #9 I think we wouldnt loose anything replacing Keating I dont rate him.

Burt has never in his first grade career been used off the bench, nor played hooker. I'd suggest it's probably too late in his career to start developing him that way.

tresurehunt

Juniors
i just watched the replay after getting home from the game, i thought it was a pretty close game against the grand finalists of last year, they too have key players out, we were in it with 9 mins to go ,plenty of positives out of that game ,especially our two wingers and halves imo

in the conference SK says he tweaked our attack tonight, i wonder if he might let the reins loosen a little ?

Eels Dude

Coach
Problem is then you have to find some to jumpstart off ?;-)

I know. That's why I also keep one of the presenters of Danoz Direct in the boot of my car too, that way he can convince random strangers to help me jump-start my car and he also throws them in a free oil change.

Grail

Juniors
Kearney doesn't understand compromise. He wants the players to adapt to a prescribed style of play that doesn't suit most of them instead of looking at what his players strengths are and using them accordingly. The structure he is getting them to use is tired and predictable and is too rigid, it never seems to change for the opposition or the game state, so it is easy for teams to plan against us. The players seem disinterested amd often they looked confused as to their roles, he can't motivate or at worst he is alienating the players and choking any creativity.

When he was successful with NZ he had Wayne Bennet as his assistant. Take him away andthe Kiwis get lapped. He is a myth of a coach who will never get any team to a grand final and will struggle to even make the finals. We will have to continue to pay overs to get players to the club whilst he is in charge, because nobody wants to play for perennial underachievers and wooden spoon contenders.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that, love the post-match interviews. :thumn

Mannah replying that "not much changed once he (Hayne) came off"...

Kearney: "I thought a couple of their tries were soft." (You're not wrong, missed Horo and Morgan's defence imo.)

Kearney: "I guess it coincided with Jarryd, but I don't know that it was because of Jarryd you know, that we lost our way."

soft trys up the middle

we missed Hindy more than anyone last night

NumberOne

Juniors
I know its horrible to say....but doesn't it seem like there is a trend to Kearney's recruitment policy;

Sandow, Roberts, Maitua, Esi, Willie, Blair, Paulo

Not to say that their all not great players or one day will be great, but they are all erratic.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Cheyse and sio have shown why Burt was dropped, Burt simply cannot get the metres that they get from there dummy half runs...
What does dropping Burt have to do with anything tonight? Noone knew hayne was going to get Injured again tonight. And personally I think sip did I better job at covering fullback that what Burt would of done.

I'm happy with sk, I'm actually finally seeing our boys playing with heart, we lost Hindy tonight and hayne, while hayne was playing we looked on fire. Hayne doesn't get Injured we win tonight.

What a ridiculous and cruel thing to say. That is such an insult to the players. It does not matter who the coach is, the vast majority of players to wear the blue & gold have tried their best week in, week out.

To say a coach has instilled his players with self belief is one thing but to say up until now they have not tried is just plain ignorant.

WOE

SeftonBoy

Juniors
I love the "what would Burt have added" rubbish. Even if Hayne doesn't go down, I have never seen Burt caught out in defence like Esi and Blair were on the edges...run over, maybe, but not caught totally short...but whatever, once a scapegoat always a scapegoat

Mate Luke Burt cannot tackle & is very shy to do so. Time to move on from him & build for the future. Sio & Blair were good last night & are showing the benefits of having wingers doing work out of there own end. Burt doesn't offer this & puts too much pressure on his forwards by not doing it.

born an eel

Bench
i just watched the replay after getting home from the game, i thought it was a pretty close game against the grand finalists of last year, they too have key players out, we were in it with 9 mins to go ,plenty of positives out of that game ,especially our two wingers and halves imo

in the conference SK says he tweaked our attack tonight, i wonder if he might let the reins loosen a little ?
the lead up to their second last try was interesting, Fui received a knock when taking the ball up on our 40m line and was slow to get up, he was looking towards the bench for some reaction. He then took the ball up again and was slow to get up looking towards the bench, seemed to be slightly injured. Nobody moved from the bench to see what the problem was, you could tell from Fui body language he wanted to come off.

The warriors now had the ball and Fui was still looking to the bench but no movement, he then went for a big hit that was half successful and moved slowly to the blind, not moving freely. The kiwis noticed this and then directed play towards him and not being free to move properly easily ran around him and scored.

Fui was stilll looking towards the bench and finally they had Mannah up and Fui walked straight off, got his legged looked at and put ice on it.

I believe if he was replaced earlier like he seemed to indicate he needed we still may have been in the game. I think at rthat stage we still had 3 change overs left.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I think next weekend Kearney should get out their and do all the tackling for the boys..

Why are people so obsessed with blaming the coach so early in the season?

Suitman

Post Whore
I think next weekend Kearney should get out their and do all the tackling for the boys..

Why are people so obsessed with blaming the coach so early in the season?

It's human nature mate. People feel the need to blame someone.

Suity

Haynzy

First Grade
Thanks for posting that, love the post-match interviews. :thumn

Mannah replying that "not much changed once he (Hayne) came off"...

Kearney: "I thought a couple of their tries were soft." (You're not wrong, missed Horo and Morgan's defence imo.)

Kearney: "I guess it coincided with Jarryd, but I don't know that it was because of Jarryd you know, that we lost our way."

Way to remove the context of those comments Bart..but I know you're not trying highlight one opinion over another or push your opinion over any other.

Of course you could outline what it is you are trying to imply with your selective quoting..

Delboy

First Grade
OK, here for the usual bash up, but in my opinion it wpould be a huge mistake to change the coach and staff as they have set the wheels in motion for good times

Those who criticise tend to be those who haven't seen the NYC team this year and their potential. We are being set up for the future and we need to give SK time, and I still dont believe DA or Hagan were right for the club and I am confident if we hold our nerve and ignore the doomsayers , then the future is bright. If Hayne had stayed on the field last night, with pretty close to our full strenghth side we win, think how the Tigpies would go without Benji and you have the answer

Freak2

Juniors
OK before I start I would like to confirm I have been a supporter of SK and his appointment. HOWEVER last night he was our worst performer!

Granted we were down to a 3 man roster after Hayne's injury but his use of the bench last night was unbelievably poor and quite simply not up to 1st grade standard. In my opinion there was 4 monumental errors.
Error 1: Both front rowers coming off in the 19th minute after the Warriors 1st try
I can live with this but would much prefer to see front rowers coming off when under pressure and not after a try against.
Error 2: Game in the balane in the 66th minute Pat Ohanlan missed about 4 tackles in one set of 6. The next sety of 6 The Warriors ran at him again and the rest is history.
Error 3: Matt Keating is not an 80 minute player. For mine he played well until fatigue kicked in and his distribution then got sloppy. He subbed Paulo for McGuire??? WTF
Error 4: And this one was the worst of the lot. With the game in the balance after Chris goes in for his 2nd FFMM takes a hit up coming out of our own line. Everyone at the ground saw that he had injured himself in the hitup. We got a repeat set of 6 in which FFMM struggled to participate. He took our 5th tackle and was clearly LAME! We hand the ball over on the last and just like Ohanlan The Warriors ran straight at our LAME player and went in to score the match winning try, and what do you know SK subs FFMM off immediately following the try!
For mine his use of the bench last night was diabolical. Granted it was a 3 man rotation but Poore who I thought played OK when on only played the 1 stint!!
Just cannot understand that when we clearly had other players on nthe field struggling for fitness.

Not sure if others noticed this but for mine SK is on notice after that disgrace last night.

TheParraboy

Staff member
OK before I start I would like to confirm I have been a supporter of SK and his appointment. HOWEVER last night he was our worst performer!

Granted we were down to a 3 man roster after Hayne's injury but his use of the bench last night was unbelievably poor and quite simply not up to 1st grade standard. In my opinion there was 4 monumental errors.
Error 1: Both front rowers coming off in the 19th minute after the Warriors 1st try
I can live with this but would much prefer to see front rowers coming off when under pressure and not after a try against.
Error 2: Game in the balane in the 66th minute Pat Ohanlan missed about 4 tackles in one set of 6. The next sety of 6 The Warriors ran at him again and the rest is history.
Error 3: Matt Keating is not an 80 minute player. For mine he played well until fatigue kicked in and his distribution then got sloppy. He subbed Paulo for McGuire??? WTF
Error 4: And this one was the worst of the lot. With the game in the balance after Chris goes in for his 2nd FFMM takes a hit up coming out of our own line. Everyone at the ground saw that he had injured himself in the hitup. We got a repeat set of 6 in which FFMM struggled to participate. He took our 5th tackle and was clearly LAME! We hand the ball over on the last and just like Ohanlan The Warriors ran straight at our LAME player and went in to score the match winning try, and what do you know SK subs FFMM off immediately following the try!
For mine his use of the bench last night was diabolical. Granted it was a 3 man rotation but Poore who I thought played OK when on only played the 1 stint!!
Just cannot understand that when we clearly had other players on nthe field struggling for fitness.

Not sure if others noticed this but for mine SK is on notice after that disgrace last night.

SK is doing a great job changing the culture, give him time...

booeycollector

Juniors
I must agree with an earlier post on here. Yes I'm worried and yes I'm nervous about what SK brings to the table and yes part of me can't help but doubt his ability but I agree that the boys are trying their guts out and seem to be having a dig....personally I think our biggest issue is the lack of a damaging, ball playing backrower our back rowers don't even look like busting a tackle or popping a ball...losing Mateo was massive. Yes he plays risky footy but he creates havoc and can break the line, pop balls and create try's......

Last edited:

Latest posts