What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
You get more people but you're selling ad time per channel and I would guess having a higher number on the "main" channel is better since it would have higher rates than Gem

Perth Red

Post Whore
400K :?.. what , a week :lol:
didn't they pay the AFL 100 Mill (20 Million a year) for online & mobile rights in this next deal

we'd be worth as much for sure

lol, typo, I meant $400mill over the 5 years! Internet is where it is going to be within the next 7 years, we shouldn;t be letting go them go cheap or we should do a shorter deal for internet rights and see what impact the NBN has on the way people view online content.

Seems a lot of money but I predict before this decade is out more people will watch NRL online than do on PayTV, unless Labor gets kicked out and the NBN doesn;t happen and Oz stays in the dark ages!

docbrown

Coach
lol, typo, I meant $400mill over the 5 years! Internet is where it is going to be within the next 7 years, we shouldn;t be letting go them go cheap or we should do a shorter deal for internet rights and see what impact the NBN has on the way people view online content.

Seems a lot of money but I predict before this decade is out more people will watch NRL online than do on PayTV, unless Labor gets kicked out and the NBN doesn;t happen and Oz stays in the dark ages!

There are multitude of combinations at play here and we're not legally obliged to accept any particular offer that may so happen to be forced upon us under the guise of hoarding.

If Foxtel play hardball, then we may be able to construct a deal where more games are given to F2A and all are stream on the net. If the internet proportion is a 2-3 year deal, that may cause enough impact on subscriptions to force Fox's hands. And if it's generating the same or above the current annual income, then it may be worth it. That's for the IC subcommittee to decide.

Just because they might offer us shit doesn't mean we have to eat it. And anybody who claims that they know that there will be no room to manouevre is talking out of their arse.

Lowdown

Juniors
Nine are pricks. We know this. They know this. Gallop sure as hell knows this.

That's why Channel 9 will be given the TV rights again for the next god-knows-how-many-years.

And we will be subject to the weekly bore-fest that is the Footy Show. Their expert commentators will be led by Vossy (whos ego will be even bigger knowing Rabs has gone and he's the chosen one) and mental giants like Freddy, the obese big marn (whos heart will be almost surely up), bullied Mario, senile/bored Fatty and so on.

They will continue to say shaft RL in Victoria and other non-QLD/NSW states and will insist on showing Broncos every Friday night, and Dragons or Tigers every Sunday.

During these matches, Gus will say he loves his Sunday afternoon footy.

Vos and Gus will then pretend to argue over the rules, just like they used to do with Rabs. God bless him.

It's like a long, bad dream. But it's not. It will be real.

redvscotty

First Grade
Ive noticed in the games last night and the game today they've been saying before ad breaks.... Rugby League live and free on channel 9.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Yes its live and free if you live in NSW,QLD and don't want to watch a game on Sat on FTA,in WA SA And Vic 9 just ignores it,funny thing is the AFL loving oafs at 9 Perth are owned by WIN who are showing the Storm,Newcastle game live in country WA.
But not in Perth I wish some one could explain that one

gallagher

Juniors
Yes its live and free if you live in NSW,QLD and don't want to watch a game on Sat on FTA,in WA SA And Vic 9 just ignores it,funny thing is the AFL loving oafs at 9 Perth are owned by WIN who are showing the Storm,Newcastle game live in country WA.
But not in Perth I wish some one could explain that one
Not only that, ch9 Perth put on the AFL footy show followed by an hour show called 'the last story' which is about AFL grand finals at the same time the melb newc game is on.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rabs and Gus were disgusting for the whole of this game today. Talk about amateur hour. 5 minutes raving about the seagulls, negativity and questioning the posted crowd figure and last nights as well. Seriously the NRL need to talk to this mob and tell them first to wise up and 2nd f**k off after their contract is up.

docbrown

Coach
Rabs and Gus were disgusting for the whole of this game today. Talk about amateur hour. 5 minutes raving about the seagulls, negativity and questioning the posted crowd figure and last nights as well. Seriously the NRL need to talk to this mob and tell them first to wise up and 2nd f**k off after their contract is up.

Yes for all Gus' bravado, constantly bagging out the atmosphere, crowds etc during commentary doesn't put the game in a good light.

undertaker

Coach

Well, with Rabs, you won't need to worry as 99% sure he will be hanging up the microphone after next year (he has always said he wanted to do the London Olympics and retire sometime afterwards). It's good timing considering the tv rights also expires at the end of next year.

undertaker

Coach
As you know, the current tv rights deal expires at the end of next year. My questions to you all is:

1) IF Ch9 does lose the rights to rugby league to either Ch7 or Ch10 (whether it be NRL, State of Origin or Internationals), which commentators that are currently at Ch9 do you think will be able to get a job at one of these other stations? When the AFL rights shifted from Ch7 to Ch9/10/Fox in 2002, several of the Ch7 AFL commentary team jumped ship.

For me, if Ch7/10 get the rights, I can realistically see Sterlo being the only person currently at Ch9 to get offered a position on a rival station. If Ch9 axed the Thursday night footy show (which they should), I can't see Fatty getting a job. He's basically unemployable and past his use-by-date. As much as he is funny, I can't see someone who exerts as much unprofessionalism Freddy being offered a position. Ch7 and 10 won't tolerate a person who yells out things such as "BULLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIT" like what Freddy did at Leichhardt Oval last year. They also won't tolerate ppl like Gus Gould who continually bad mouth the game and try to cause commotion, as this won't reflect very well on the station. People who are new to the game of rugby league won't want to become a supporter if they are continually bombarded with Gould's diatribes, as well as this "close enough is good enough" attitude which gives me the green apple splatters everytime I hear Gould saying "Oh, GIVE IT A TRY VIDEO REF. IT DESERVES ONE BECAUSE IT LOOKS GOOD". I just had to laugh at Gould last night when he said "oh, it wasn't THAT BAD of a forward pass". It doesn't matter whether or not it was that bad or not, IT WAS FORWARD. If you want to keep bastardising the rules all the time, you might as well just through the whole rule book away.

2) Who would you like to see as commentators on either Ch7 or 10 (ppl who are either currently NOT at Ch9 or Fox)? For me, one person would be Ryan Girdler. Whether it be a position on a Footy show or commentary, I was always impressed with the limited roles that he had on the Ch9 Footy show and he's a natural when it comes to analysis and presentation skills. Infact, him and Sterlo would make a good colour commentator combination as well as doing all the pre- and post-game show analysis, rather than the usual Sterlo and Gus.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
As you know, the current tv rights deal expires at the end of next year. My questions to you all is:

1) IF Ch9 does lose the rights to rugby league to either Ch7 or Ch10 (whether it be NRL, State of Origin or Internationals), which commentators that are currently at Ch9 do you think will be able to get a job at one of these other stations? When the AFL rights shifted from Ch7 to Ch9/10/Fox in 2002, several of the Ch7 AFL commentary team jumped ship.

For me, if Ch7/10 get the rights, I can realistically see Sterlo being the only person currently at Ch9 to get offered a position on a rival station. If Ch9 axed the Thursday night footy show (which they should), I can't see Fatty getting a job. He's basically unemployable and past his use-by-date. As much as he is funny, I can't see someone who exerts as much unprofessionalism Freddy being offered a position. Ch7 and 10 won't tolerate a person who yells out things such as "BULLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIT" like what Freddy did at Leichhardt Oval last year. They also won't tolerate ppl like Gus Gould who continually bad mouth the game and try to cause commotion, as this won't reflect very well on the station.

2) Who would you like to see as commentators on either Ch7 or 10 (ppl who are either currently NOT at Ch9 or Fox)? For me, one person would be Ryan Girdler. Whether it be a position on a Footy show or commentary, I was always impressed with the limited roles that he had on the Ch9 Footy show and he's a natural when it comes to analysis and presentation skills. Infact, him and Sterlo would make a good colour commentator combination as well as doing all the pre- and post-game show analysis, rather than the usual Sterlo and Gus.

Agree, Sterlo is the only one with any class and professionalism on the current team and i would hope he would be involved in commentating regardless of who gets the rights. Gus hopefully will stick to his day job at penrith.

Rabs is an enigma. If Gus wasn't in the box i think he would be more focused on the game he is calling and more professional as a result.

Compared to the ch7 and ch10 productions for the AFL, 9 reeks of amateurism and imaturity.

Problem is 9 will fight tooth and nail for the rights as if they lose them they will be meaningless in sydney and brisbane

Forgot about Joey, his insight is excellent and the matty too

cleary89

Coach
Matty, sterlo and ginnane would be nice.

Could see Vossy kept around for the second game. He goes alright if he isn't surrounded by morons.

Wally should f**k off along with fatty, gus, fitler, joey.

What about someone like Joel Caine with the sideline report. He goes alright for the continuous call team imo.

typicalfan

Coach
Matty, sterlo and ginnane would be nice.

Could see Vossy kept around for the second game. He goes alright if he isn't surrounded by morons.

Wally should f**k off along with fatty, gus, fitler, joey.

What about someone like Joel Caine with the sideline report. He goes alright for the continuous call team imo.
Get Hindy as well when he retires most likely after next year. Popular and respected personality.

undertaker

Coach
Dan Ginnane as head caller, Matty Johns and Sterlo as colour commentators, and Ryan Girdler as sideline commentator would be a fantastic combination as the MAIN commentary team. With regards to a second commentary team, I don't know I'd pick, but would you be happy to see Vossy being the main caller in the 2nd match?

Fatty, Joey, Wally, Freddy et al. :arrow:

What about the folk that have been on Ch10 THIS YEAR for their footy shows? How would you rate Adam Hawse, Mad Dog, Ricky Stuart, Joel Caine, Andrew Moore and Blocker (the last three of which all appear on the 2GB continuous call team) being involved in matches on tv? Regarding a footy show or panel for a big match like State of Origin, although he's on Ch9, how would you rate Cameron Williams?

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
7/10 would probably try and poach some of the guys from Fox (although I'm guessing most of them would be under contract until end of 2013/14 to counter that) - Smith, maybe Brandy?

undertaker

Coach
Agree, Sterlo is the only one with any class and professionalism on the current team and i would hope he would be involved in commentating regardless of who gets the rights. Gus hopefully will stick to his day job at penrith.

Rabs is an enigma. If Gus wasn't in the box i think he would be more focused on the game he is calling and more professional as a result.

Compared to the ch7 and ch10 productions for the AFL, 9 reeks of amateurism and imaturity.

Problem is 9 will fight tooth and nail for the rights as if they lose them they will be meaningless in sydney and brisbane

Forgot about Joey, his insight is excellent and the matty too

Interesting you mention Gus. If you listen to some of Gus' commentary on YouTube when he had special-guest stints in the box in the '90s (most of the time he was used in finals matches, as well as Gary Belcher), it's like you're listening to a completely different person to the Gus of today. Like Sterlo, he was very professional, none of these trivial blow-ups or petty arguments with Rabs. Maybe because he was just playing second fiddle to Sterlo and Fatty, who were the main colour commentators back in those days.

However, regarding the Gus Gould of today, I cannot see Kerry Stokes at Ch7 or whoever's in charge of Ch10 tolerating a person who REPEATEDLY bad mouths the game rather than promoting it and also tries to cause commotion, as this won't reflect very well on the station. Ch10 would be more concerned about this, as they are now running 4th in the tv ratings after ABC has overtaken them in terms of market share. They won't want employ a person who has the potential to not only do well but also has the potential to jeopardise their brand. People who are new to the game of rugby league won't want to become a supporter if they are continually bombarded with Gould's diatribes, as well as this "close enough is good enough" attitude which gives me the green apple splatters everytime I hear Gould saying "Oh, GIVE IT A TRY VIDEO REF. IT DESERVES ONE BECAUSE IT LOOKS GOOD". I just had to laugh at Gould last night when he said "oh, it wasn't THAT BAD of a forward pass". It doesn't matter whether or not it was that bad or not, IT WAS FORWARD. If you want to keep bastardising the rules all the time, you might as well just through the whole rule book away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts