What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I can't see the NRL letting Newcastle go under. It's an important area for Rugby League.

I believe the Central Coast deserve a team in the NRL, but with Newcastle and the Central Coast being a very similar size, population wise, does this suggest they too may struggle after the first couple of years?

Also if the suggestions are true and Cronulla are circling the drain, can a potential move to the Central Coast be opposed by the Bears? Or will that just bury any hope the Bears have?

If News Limited did that (relocate Cronulla), then this would open up a class action by Bears football club members and supporters. This action would drag up so much questionable activity from 1999 and expose dealings by so many involved in rugby league, it would make the game a laughing stock - and cause irreparable damage.

I have no doubt News Limited want to ditch Cronulla on Gosford. Gallop, as News' lackey, will be pushing this as hard as he can - but will, of course, say nothing until the deal is done.

Garts

Bench
the afl may be better to watch live than on tv, but it is not better than watching rugny league live.

we have the best product in the world, and also people with no idea how to run this product.

I agree but it can help explain why AFL fans get to more games than league fans. I dare say the amount of people watching league at home or at the pubs would be higher than AFL. I like getting to watch my team play but there are many occassions I will decide to watch at home over going live as the view is better.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If a strange and convoluted sort of way, I'm glad Newcastle was one of the teams named on the 'endangered list'. Why? Because they are such an important area for Rugby League that hell would freeze over before the NRL allows them to go down the gurgler. The Knights will be saved somehow - either by teh NRL, private ownership, or whatever.

As for Cronulla - I don't want any Sydney teams to die, but as an absolute last resort they seem to the the most logical Sydney team for relocation as they are sandwiched between St. George and Illawarra. But having said that, I hope they stay exactly where they are.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Tri Merger - st george-cronulla-illawarra steel dragsharks

AFL gets more people at the games puely ebcause it's a religion down there and has been for a long time. i heard someone saying on radio 'your grandad followed this club, your dad follows it, and you get born into it without any choice'

the other comment was that in sydney you have several codes vying for a market whereas in melb AFL has the lions share. i also assume theres nothing else to do in melbourne...

bileduct

Coach
The Knights will be saved somehow - either by teh NRL, private ownership, or whatever.
They don't deserve to be saved.. Let them and their neanderthal ilk consign themselves to the putrid depths of Hell and remove this blight on our beloved game once and for all.

Bring back the Hunter Mariners if there absolutely must be a team in the region, otherwise f**k the lot of them off into oblivion.

Scabs.

hutch

First Grade
Take a good hard look at the half empty stadiums and tell me there aren't too many teams in Sydney.

there arent too many teams in sydney!

sydney is a massive market, and we have saturation of it with teams covering pretty much the entire city. we're not like melbourne, we arent built around the city. we have sydney and then most of our suburbs to the west of it, and rugby league is by far and away the number one sport. i guarantee to you, if you lose one sydney team, you lose hundreds of thousands of supporters. some who go to games, and the majority who watch rugby league on tv.

we need to work out how to get more bums on seats, there is no doubting this, and also how to raise more revunue (the nrl needs to have a good look at itself here), but we are still the major rugby competition on earth, and sydney teams still average more crowds than most "rugby" clubs on earth of either code.

hutch

First Grade
They don't deserve to be saved.. Let them and their neanderthal ilk consign themselves to the putrid depths of Hell and remove this blight on our beloved game once and for all.

Bring back the Hunter Mariners if there absolutely must be a team in the region, otherwise f**k the lot of them off into oblivion.

Scabs.

what is wrong with you?

big country

Juniors
Cronulla :arrow: Adelaide.
hahaa - the irony in that is that just over decade ago news ltd were trippin over themselves to get cronulla to sign up for super league......now that the cow is not producing any more milk it'll get taken out the back and put out of it's misery

bartman

Immortal
I was just saying if Cronulla are going to relocate (or be relocated) then it wouldn't be to Gosford imo. It would be to a "new" territory - one that brings potential new viewers to payTV, and opens a new market.

Gosford/Central Coast needs a team, but they won't take to a relocation imo. The Bears are the only former team entity that would be accepted, based on the ground work they had already done up there prior to the Northern Eagles debacle. So a Central Coast team would be an addition/expansion to the NRL when the time is right (2012?).

skeepe

Immortal

Scabs.

:clap:

You just know the people of Newcastle would never allow the Knights to go out of business.

Local government, business and fans would rally around the club in a big way. If it really came down to it they'd be passing hats round the pubs to keep them going. They have a great support base, just not a strong business model.

But they need to get desperate before that happens, therefore the NRL should not give them any sort of guarantee. Let them save themselves, which would be better for both them and the game.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Is this directed at me?
Cause if so you are way out of line
How do you know I wouldn't be shattered if the Eels no longer existed? You just assume that since I would still love the game even if the Eels didn't exist makes me less a fan than you.

Now get YOUR hand off it buddy
Yes this is directed at you, and if you dont like it dont catergorise people and push your opinion on others regarding what sort of fans they are because they have a different opinions to yours, freedom of speech champ.

Yes this is directed at you, and if you dont like it dont catergorise people and push your opinion on others regarding what sort of fans they are because they have a different opinions to yours, freedom of speech champ.

What a hypocrite!
You are doing everything you are blaming me of doing.
And how exactly am I doing anything different than everyone here. This is a forum to put out your opinions. So what's the problem? You're ashamed of the truth. I do categorize types of fans but it is not judgement of you or anyone, it is just a bloody category. So get over it, you little baby. And anyway, how are those categories wrong? I see it in every sport, in my life, everywhere. There are three categories of fans (main types anyone - there may be minor ones)

1. Fans of a SPORT
2. Fans of a TEAM
3. Fans of a TEAM and of a SPORT

So how is that wrong? Enlighten me ..

Canard

Immortal
One point from Rothfield's blog is the response to the suggestion that the NRL would "save" a club.

His response to this, and I tend to believe him on this point, is that the NRL don't have the money to do this unlike the AFL who apparently have 60 Mill in the bank.

Dazraider

Juniors
im not in finance or buisness but its obvious the lesser the price the more the crowd.
if they dropped the price by 50 precent i bet you would get near sold out games every match and also for food and drinks they should be reasonable as well.

these fools who make up the amounts have No idea about getting the crowds

bileduct

Coach
if they dropped the price by 50 precent i bet you would get near sold out games every match and also for food and drinks they should be reasonable as well.

these fools who make up the amounts have No idea about getting the crowds
Did you see that the "food" at Canberra Stadium went up this year by the same percentage the already woeful quality went down?

Loudstrat

Coach
May I ask why the only news on the alleged imminent collapse of Cronulla and Newy is in Rothfields blog? Like Webckes stupid book is more important?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
May I ask why the only news on the alleged imminent collapse of Cronulla and Newy is in Rothfields blog? Like Webckes stupid book is more important?

With zero premierships, gargantuan crowds and heros of the ilk of Greg BIrd and Brett Seymour, it seems there is little more for Cronulla to achieve in ruby league.

It is time to go.... Cronulla!