What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Shorty

Staff member
Penrith and Parramatta (separately) are in key areas, given the AFL's planned expansion into western sydney. If needed I can see the NRL helping these clubs survival as stand alone clubs on a strategic basis if nothing else.

Wests Tigers also have important territory under the banner, including the population growth area of Campbelltown, where they really need to be playing more of their games in future years imo.

St George Illawarra is already strecthed in covering a very large area, including the traditional league nursery of Illawarra. Let a presence in Illawarra die out, and the league stands to lose a lot.

Similarly Manly now have the lion's share of the north shore, and strategically, geographically, are very important to the league's presence in all demographics of Sydney.

Easts are an important presence in that part of town, and are our last remaining continuous foundation club. Can't see them moving or folding, even if their catchment area is small and juniors aren't their strength.

Which leaves Souths, Cronulla and the Bulldogs... As for Souths, it seems like they are doing good stuff with the branding and revitalising their Redfern facilities and involvement. I didn't think Souths and Easts could both survive and stand alone purely georgaphically, but Souths' junior area, their re-entry to the comp and their achivements since seem to be placing themselves in good stead.

Bulldogs have a strong brand that could take root if relocated, and essentially have already left their traditional geographical territory anyway.

Cronulla have a pocket of land in-between the two arms of St George and Illawarra, and reportedly have a few more finacial woes than the average club. A relocation and keeping a Shire team in the lower division might be a good answer to a problem.

I don't want to see any Sydney team forced out ahead of their time, but under consideration there are two more obvious candidates for eventual relocation - Cronulla perhaps by necessity of things don't pick up and return to the level of interest in the Shire the team had ten years ago - and Bulldogs perhaps because the club is ambitious enough to be proactive and want to shift.

I think all other Sydney teams need to stay. You can't just kill off bits of the game for fun and think that it will survive undamaged. Wait until they go broke (Newtown, Norths, Magpies/Tigers etc) or put relocation down as potential business growth idea. And wait until the game can sustainably afford to bring in brand new teams from areas that don't want a relocation... the game had 20 teams once, before Super League came and wrecked the sustainable exapnsion agenda. Once we have caught up the damage done, we can (eventually) get back to 20, without needing to cull Sydney teams down to 5 or whatever and lose (more) fans.
Great post.
Realistically speaking the Sharks have no other options.
As MSStorm said if you Sharkies supporters want your team staying in the Shire then get off your hide and get your bums on seats.
The team hasn't needed fans support anymore than this - Put your money where your mouth is.

bobmar28

Bench
Struggling for crowd yes.

THough the Bulldogs sent me an email with the ticket prices for there games, and I was not surprised why they aren't getting crowds..

[FONT=&quot]Adult[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Concession[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Child[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Family* 1Ad+1Jr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Family* 2Ad+2Jr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Titanium[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$55.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$46.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$32.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$76.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$152.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gold[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$42.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$35.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$58.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$116.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$29.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$24.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$17.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$40.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$80.00[/FONT]

Cheapest tickets $29, who are they kidding. Even kids cost too much.
I have heard that kids can get in to AFL games for $3. Titans should be doing that now to build a fanbase ahead of the launch of the Gold Coast AFL team.

bobmar28

Bench
if parramatta went, penrith as we know them would be gone too. and i think if it happened this way, the super west sydney team we want will not be a success.
A Western Sydney Super Team would be a huge success and stop AFL expansion in its tracks.

mightypanther

Juniors
a) Parra fans and Dogs fans hate each other with a passion.
b) Tigers have already merged, and are already stretched far enough as it is (Inner west, Balmain, and Cambeltown)
c) Parramatta and Penrith are both real western sydney, none of this "south west" business.

Penrith and Parra fans hate each other with the same passion as any other club rivalries.

And if most people thought for 2 seconds about the AFL putting a team in the west, you would realise that the game needs both Penrith and Parra to survive more than ever. It's the only chance the NRL has of trying to curb AFL's infiltration into the minds and pockets of people in the west.

A merger would only guarantee the loss of thousands of fans from both teams, and where the hell do you think they would go? Out of anger and spite.....to AFL of course. And that would provide an open door to AFL. Like it or not, many league fans already feel some sort of affinity with the Swans (I am not one of them, but many do).

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
i really hope both clubs manage to make it through. anyone wishing for another clubs demise needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
Take a good hard look at the half empty stadiums and tell me there aren't too many teams in Sydney.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Good point about supporting other clubs that need it. I'm a Parra member, but only this week received my membership for the Knights, along with 2 junior ones for my kids. A total of $65 to do my bit for a team I consider essential to the NRL.

As for giving up the game if my team ceased to exist, relocated or merged...that would never happen. Its not like I can suddenly become passionate about the Waratahs or Swans, plus I actually enjoy watching League at any level more than other sports.

:clap: Well done and very well said mate. If your gonna dump a code just because your team could not survive then harden up. THe game is and always will be bigger than any club, no matter how old.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Take a good hard look at the half empty stadiums and tell me there aren't too many teams in Sydney.

How will killing off Sydney teams get more people to games?

Foxtel with their lions share in the say of when games are scheduled and the cost of ticketing/merch has more of an effect on crowd numbers than the number of teams in Sydney.

Nice to see that your offering up the Dogs to be the 1st team to fold mate

Digga Hole

Juniors
I have heard that kids can get in to AFL games for $3. Titans should be doing that now to build a fanbase ahead of the launch of the Gold Coast AFL team.

For the cheapest reserved seats kids under 5 pay $3.20 at the MCG and kids aged 6-14 pay $5.40 (adults $33.85).

For better seats this rises to $7.90 and $10.10 respectively (adults $43.35).

For general admission, (which doesn't guarantee a seat) children under 6 are free, 6-14 is $2.20 and adults are $20.30.

I would always reserve a seat, especially with kids as the GA areas can be along way away and it isn't that much more (although there are transaction fees on top of those prices but they are between $0 and $10 per transaction), but there is the cheaper option if people choose so.

I think thats a great deal and gets kids involved at a young age.

Dogs Of War

Coach
For the cheapest reserved seats kids under 5 pay $3.20 at the MCG and kids aged 6-14 pay $5.40 (adults $33.85).

For general admission, (which doesn't guarantee a seat) children under 6 are free, 6-14 is $2.20 and adults are $20.30.

I would always reserve a seat, especially with kids as the GA areas can be along way away and it isn't that much more (although there are transaction fees on top of those prices but they are between $0 and $10 per transaction), but there is the cheaper option if people choose so.

Totally agree with that last statement. You need to get the kids involved early, and teach them that going to the game is the best way to support the club. As well it doesn't cost parents heaps to do it.

I think this is one major area RL is missing out.

bobmar28

Bench
How will killing off Sydney teams get more people to games?

Foxtel with their lions share in the say of when games are scheduled and the cost of ticketing/merch has more of an effect on crowd numbers than the number of teams in Sydney.

Nice to see that your offering up the Dogs to be the 1st team to fold mate
If Sydney had one NRL team we could fill SFS every 2 weeks. And occasionally ANZ.

Yes games on foxtel keep people at home instead of at the game but how is it with AFL live on the One HD free to air sports channel (which is really the AFL channel) they can still get a sellout 90,000 at their game tonight?

Dogs won't fold but I could go along with a merger.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
for sure. SFS for example, child prices range from $12 to $20. I expect if they were $5-10, and there were more sunday games, a lot more families would attend the football more often.

Digga Hole

Juniors
If Sydney had one NRL team we could fill SFS every 2 weeks. And occasionally ANZ.

Yes games on foxtel keep people at home instead of at the game but how is it with AFL live on the One HD free to air sports channel (which is really the AFL channel) they can still get a sellout 90,000 at their game tonight?

Dogs won't fold but I could go along with a merger.

I don't want to make this about the AFL, but that crowd tonite is done with 9 teams in Melbourne, so I don't think that adds any weight to the "reduce Sydney teams" arguement.

Joker's Wild

Coach

And sacrifice how many fans in doing so?

How does this support your "reduce Sydney clubs" arguement? They achieve this with 9 clubs in the one city. :crazy:

bobmar28

Bench
Because if we had 90,000 fans turning up to games in Sydney there would be no need to reduce the number of teams here. In fact it would be foolish to do so.

Last edited:
:clap: Well done and very well said mate. If your gonna dump a code just because your team could not survive then harden up. THe game is and always will be bigger than any club, no matter how old.

bravo.

I think more people feel that way then not.

Some people on here, a minority, feel otherwise. But its just not so.

So in effect, they are a minority of the people who use these boards - or a minority of the minority.

Thats pretty sad.

Garts

Bench
In regards to AFL crowds. AFL is much better product to watch live, you miss alot of the action when watching a game on tv. This is apparantly why alot of people go to AFL games live. Whilst going to a league game live has a good atmosphere there is no doubt in my mind that you get a better view from the tv. This is part of the reason AFL draws bigger crowds than the NRL.

The last time I checked, the NSWRL still hands out cards to young kids (who play junior RL) to watch games for free for all NSW clubs. The only time they aren't valid is when there is an expected sell-out, like this week's St George vs Cronulla game.

I hope they still do this, it is a great initiative to get families through the gate.

hutch

First Grade
In regards to AFL crowds. AFL is much better product to watch live, you miss alot of the action when watching a game on tv. This is apparantly why alot of people go to AFL games live. Whilst going to a league game live has a good atmosphere there is no doubt in my mind that you get a better view from the tv. This is part of the reason AFL draws bigger crowds than the NRL.

the afl may be better to watch live than on tv, but it is not better than watching rugny league live.

we have the best product in the world, and also people with no idea how to run this product.

Latest posts