What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

As a young fella I lost my beloved Jets back in 83 , it took me a couple of years to get into league again and it wasnt until Chicka went to the Raiders I decided to follow them and League again.
If the Raiders were ever punted Id be gone from footy.

If its Newcastle in trouble then the NRL must help them, this area is vital to League , I cant say the same for the sharks , maybe relocation is their best option.

Serc

First Grade
We're in a bit of trouble, but not quite as desperate as Rothfield would have you think. The place is (slowly) evolving from being run like a weekend chook raffle to some sort of proper business with hopefully some real assets at some point. Which leads me to the fact we have no leagues club, so the club relies much more on memberships/crowd attendances than any other club pretty much.

I would put us in the 'shaky' category on the Rothfield list on page 9.

BrisVegas

Juniors
If Newcastle can navigate their way through to the end of the next season, they will have the benefit of the new EAS grandstand being complete. This will give the Knights the capacity to draw 33k crowds for blockbusters, and more importantly would almost double the amount of corporate hospitality they can bill out. Much like Melbourne, they have to ride out the wait for the facilities to be built.

Kiki

First Grade
i really hope both clubs manage to make it through. anyone wishing for another clubs demise needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

bileduct

Coach
The Knoughts are close to folding?

Couldn't give a f**k, mate.

They don't deserve to be in the NRL anyway.

Loudstrat

Coach
Slow news day at News Ltd. No one caught in a pub. No one blamed for sexual assault. No one busted for drugs. The only stories around are to do with player fitness and club form - and yo9u have to get off your arse and get in the car to source those.

Buzz is a coffee shop, Phil. If I want League news I want it in your sports section, not your personal wank blog.
If so, they were NEVER rugby league supporters to begin with.
Problem? If a team attracts heaps of fans to the game, that's good isn't it? I'd suggest most Storm fans are in the category that you imply disdain for.

why do you all put ells panthers merg because there close dogs ells
ells tigers all closer then penrith

So, I take it you are proposing that Penrith or Canterbury should merge with - golfers? Specifically Ernie Ells and Tiger Woods?

Can hear the commntary now. "Penalty to Penrith right in front. They will take the shot - Ells will use his 9 iron"

BTW Knights and Sharks fans - chin up. This type of tosspot reporting is common - ignore it until Gallop or your CEO starts talking about it. And the Knights goes - the whole f*cking comp goes. If there is ONE club that props up this blend of Sydney clubs and Regional teams that makes this the greatest and most loved code in Australia, it's the Knights. That's why SL fought so hard for 'em. That's also why the 1997 GF killed SL, and gave a renewed spotlight to the wonderful cultural capital that the code has built in Australia since 1908.

Problem? If a team attracts heaps of fans to the game, that's good isn't it? I'd suggest most Storm fans are in the category that you imply disdain for.

I have no disdain for anyone who is a fan of a team and not the sport. Most, if not all, fans are equally important. I do have disdain for people who claim they love the sport, but then would be 'lost to the game forever' if their team merged with another. I am sorry, if this is you, you were never a fan of the sport to begin with.

Added point:

The original poster wrote if the Sharks merged or became extinct 'hundreds of thousands or rugby league supporters would be lost to the game forever'

NO!

The right statement would be

'hundreds of thousands of Sharks fans would be the lost to the game forever'

Because a Shark fan who is also a rugby league fan wouldn't be lost to the game, cause otherwise they were not a fan of rugby league to begin with.

Last edited:

Garts

Bench
I would not wish any club to fold but the fact is we have too many sides in Sydney and some need to either voluntarily relocate or well fold.

Brycey

Juniors
As a Parramatta Supporter I start to salivate when I start to think of a "super" club in the western suburbs called the Parramatta-Penrith Panthers. With two large Leagues clubs behind them and two massive junior area combined, such a club would have a dynamic future IMHO. I for one would like to see a merger before either one fall over. The same with other clubs that are on the brink.
I agree, it would be a good merger and managed the right way like the Tigers merger it could go a long way.

At the moment there are onl a few teams in Sydney that deserve to stay when you take into account membership, attendances, financial status, connection with the community and on field performance, those being

1. Bulldogs
2. Tigers
3. Souths

Merge Penrith-Eels; and StGIL on a half basis and thats your 5 teams which should be enough.

Relocate Manly to Sunshine Coast; Sharks to Adelaide; Roosters to CC and you would solve alot of problems and offer a lot of solutions.

big boppa eel

Juniors
PARRAMATTA EELS SUPPORTER FOR 37 years, I unlike you I would be shattered if the PARRAMATTA EELS no longer existed, this is what sort of fan I am!, by the way who made you Judge and executioner?

MsStorm

Bench
Struggling for crowd yes.

THough the Bulldogs sent me an email with the ticket prices for there games, and I was not surprised why they aren't getting crowds..

[FONT=&quot]Adult[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Concession[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Child[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Family* 1Ad+1Jr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Family* 2Ad+2Jr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Titanium[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$55.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$46.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$32.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$76.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$152.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gold[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$42.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$35.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$58.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$116.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$29.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$24.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$17.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$40.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$80.00[/FONT]

Cheapest tickets $29, who are they kidding. Even kids cost too much.

Absolutely shocked to read those prices...disgraceful.

Just watch out Titans cos that new afl club coming to your city will take over unless you review your prices.

It's just how these younguns are these days big boppa. If only they were around when real rugby league was being played, by hard men. All this shyte is f**king SOFT. Now all the experts contemplate failures of clubs over their f**king latte's.

Bring back the biff, bring back the good old days. Never heard mums and dad's sayn oh dear johnny's not playing that, it's tooooooooo rough.

SOFT I TELL YA SOFT

MsStorm

Bench
It's got just as much to do with the fans as anyone. If more fans of these clubs (in particular Cronulla) got off their arses in bigger numbers then perhaps they wouldn't be in this predicament.

Hopefully the ones that do prefer to sit at home and watch it might read this and actually go support their team at the ground. I feel for the fans that do their bit in helping keep the club afloat, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the ones who decided to do nothing while they had the chance will be the ones whinging the most when their team gets the arse.

I've been saying the same thing for months.
Living here in Melbourne and seeing how fans get behind their afl clubs, especially when news leaks out they are in trouble, they really rally together for their club...in fact members from other afl teams also help out.
What a different culture and never ceases to amaze me.
Get off your backsides, Cronulla supporters and dig deep if you want to keep your club.

eelandia

Juniors
I've been saying the same thing for months.
Living here in Melbourne and seeing how fans get behind their afl clubs, especially when news leaks out they are in trouble, they really rally together for their club...in fact members from other afl teams also help out.
What a different culture and never ceases to amaze me.
Get off your backsides, Cronulla supporters and dig deep if you want to keep your club.

Good point about supporting other clubs that need it. I'm a Parra member, but only this week received my membership for the Knights, along with 2 junior ones for my kids. A total of $65 to do my bit for a team I consider essential to the NRL.

As for giving up the game if my team ceased to exist, relocated or merged...that would never happen. Its not like I can suddenly become passionate about the Waratahs or Swans, plus I actually enjoy watching League at any level more than other sports.

I agree, it would be a good merger and managed the right way like the Tigers merger it could go a long way.

At the moment there are onl a few teams in Sydney that deserve to stay when you take into account membership, attendances, financial status, connection with the community and on field performance, those being

1. Bulldogs
2. Tigers
3. Souths

Merge Penrith-Eels; and StGIL on a half basis and thats your 5 teams which should be enough.

Relocate Manly to Sunshine Coast; Sharks to Adelaide; Roosters to CC and you would solve alot of problems and offer a lot of solutions.
Someone needs to lay off the crack pipe for a while!

Easts and Manly will not relocate, period. Manly have a side in the QRL because they believe this preconception that the Qld Cup is stronger than the NSW Cup. Easts will not go anywhere whilst "The Godfather" Nick Politis is still in charge, he has too many fingers in a lot of pies. Parra with Fitzgerald at the helm have avioded merger talks, and he has even said that the team could fold without offering anything to save the club outside of "become a member". Penrith don't need to merge because they have various, deversified assets. If they did, it would because they would be taking pity on someone.

bartman

Immortal
Penrith and Parramatta (separately) are in key areas, given the AFL's planned expansion into western sydney. If needed I can see the NRL helping these clubs survival as stand alone clubs on a strategic basis if nothing else.

Wests Tigers also have important territory under the banner, including the population growth area of Campbelltown, where they really need to be playing more of their games in future years imo.

St George Illawarra is already strecthed in covering a very large area, including the traditional league nursery of Illawarra. Let a presence in Illawarra die out, and the league stands to lose a lot.

Similarly Manly now have the lion's share of the north shore, and strategically, geographically, are very important to the league's presence in all demographics of Sydney.

Easts are an important presence in that part of town, and are our last remaining continuous foundation club. Can't see them moving or folding, even if their catchment area is small and juniors aren't their strength.

Which leaves Souths, Cronulla and the Bulldogs... As for Souths, it seems like they are doing good stuff with the branding and revitalising their Redfern facilities and involvement. I didn't think Souths and Easts could both survive and stand alone purely georgaphically, but Souths' junior area, their re-entry to the comp and their achivements since seem to be placing themselves in good stead.

Bulldogs have a strong brand that could take root if relocated, and essentially have already left their traditional geographical territory anyway.

Cronulla have a pocket of land in-between the two arms of St George and Illawarra, and reportedly have a few more finacial woes than the average club. A relocation and keeping a Shire team in the lower division might be a good answer to a problem.

I don't want to see any Sydney team forced out ahead of their time, but under consideration there are two more obvious candidates for eventual relocation - Cronulla perhaps by necessity of things don't pick up and return to the level of interest in the Shire the team had ten years ago - and Bulldogs perhaps because the club is ambitious enough to be proactive and want to shift.

I think all other Sydney teams need to stay. You can't just kill off bits of the game for fun and think that it will survive undamaged. Wait until they go broke (Newtown, Norths, Magpies/Tigers etc) or put relocation down as potential business growth idea. And wait until the game can sustainably afford to bring in brand new teams from areas that don't want a relocation... the game had 20 teams once, before Super League came and wrecked the sustainable exapnsion agenda. Once we have caught up the damage done, we can (eventually) get back to 20, without needing to cull Sydney teams down to 5 or whatever and lose (more) fans.

Last edited:
PARRAMATTA EELS SUPPORTER FOR 37 years, I unlike you I would be shattered if the PARRAMATTA EELS no longer existed, this is what sort of fan I am!, by the way who made you Judge and executioner?

Is this directed at me?
Cause if so you are way out of line
How do you know I wouldn't be shattered if the Eels no longer existed? You just assume that since I would still love the game even if the Eels didn't exist makes me less a fan than you.

Now get YOUR hand off it buddy

Loudstrat

Coach

1. Bulldogs
2. Tigers
3. Souths

Who are you to say who deserves to stay? Especially when you bring up souffs lol!

So Saints, Manly and Parra deserve to be punted? On what basis?

What problems would sending Manly to friggin Noosa solve? How does it help the Chooks to move to Gosford?

Another quality dumb sh*t post by Brycey!!!!!! :lol:

Latest posts