What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Perth Tiger

Bench
well you are definately the minority. you merge these clubs, or if any sydney clubs go under for that matter, you lose hundreds of thousands of rugby league supporters.

If a club had hundreds of thousands in the first place they wouldn't be under threat in the first place.

BWNB

First Grade
I wouldn't support anyone if the Sharks folded, id watch the Warriors with interest but thats all.
The NRL really need to step in and help clubs like the Sharks and the Knights get the highest possible attendances.
It would all start with the scheduling of the games, for the Sharks to get the most support the NRL needs to give them more Sunday afternoon games.

adamkungl

Immortal
wash ur mouth out adam that will never happen

I'd rather it didn't. I'll elaborate though - Parra and Penrith are the only close by areas in Sydney that could possibly work. Roosters Souths, Dragons Sharks, Parra Bulldogs, due to the intense rivalry they would all be Northern Eagles v2. Epic fail. Parra and Penrith have some rivalry, but doesn't seem to be genuine hatred.

macavity

Referee
maybe the Drags could move to Illa full time, and the Sharks split their games between the swamp and the dump.... :sarcasm:

ouwet

Bench
To give all fans an indication of how their club is performing financially, I’ve broken them down into four categories.
Future in doubt: Sharks, Knights
Shaky: Warriors, Souths, Manly
Should be ok: Raiders, Tigers, Roosters, Titans, Eels, Cowboys, Storm, Dragons, Panthers
Totally safe: Broncos, Bulldogs
I’ll catch you later in the week.
The Cronulla Sharks and the Newcastle Knights are the two most endangered clubs in the NRL.
If there was a betting market on the first team to fold, I’d be suggesting Cronulla are odds on.
The facts are simple with the Sharks – they are not getting enough support from fans in the Shire, despite having a successful football team.
Sponsorship is down and even despite crowds improving last season, gate takings – or lack of them – remain a huge problem coupled with a Leagues Club struggling under the pokie taxes and smoking bans.
The Newcastle Knights are not much better off. They have accumulated debt of just over $3 million since entering the ARL in 1988.
Without a licensed club for support, they are totally reliant on the people of Newcastle – fans and sponsors – to keep themselves afloat.
But not far behind them are the privately owned teams like Souths, the Warriors and Manly.
Check out my answers below for further details:

From Phil Rothfield.

big boppa eel

Juniors
As a Parramatta Supporter I start to salivate when I start to think of a "super" club in the western suburbs called the Parramatta-Penrith Panthers. With two large Leagues clubs behind them and two massive junior area combined, such a club would have a dynamic future IMHO. I for one would like to see a merger before either one fall over. The same with other clubs that are on the brink.
You must be one of a select few champ, Parramatta PENRITH PANTHERS wtf.:?

bartman

Immortal
Shame Rothfield thinks the Bulldogs are safe... I know they have diversified their club interests, and own bowling clubs in the central coast and the likes, but I would have thought they were one of the only sydney "brands" that could make a relocation work.

Get your hand of it mate.

Hand off what?

There are three types of fans.

1. Fans of Rugby League
2. Fans of a Rugby League team
3. Fans of Rugby League and of a Rugby League team

A guy I work with fits into category 1. He supports no team but loves the sport. One could call him a student of Rugby League. Mergers of clubs will not affect him in the slightest.

I fit into catergory 3. I fell in love with Parramatta when I was 5. I started playing Rugby League when I was 7 and had my final year playing when I was 23 after recieving two serious concussions. I wouldn't call myself a student of the game but I am close to it. I love Rugby League. I have attended non-Parramatta games and watch as much as the sport as possible, whether it be QLD Cup, ESL, U-20's, whatever. I can't enough of the game. If the Eels merged or God-forbid went extinct, I am not going to suddenly hate, disown, reject Rugby League. That concept is unfathomable. But if that happened I would then fit into Catergory 1

Category 2 fans are those people who would reject, disown, hate Rugby League if their teams mergers or goes extinct. They are not and never were supporters of Rugby League. They are solely supporters of a team that plays Rugby League. For example, I generally dislike soccer, but I will watch Australia in the World Cup and wake up in the middle of the night to cheer to them on. When they get eliminated I will not watch another game in the tournament because the games bores me.

The question is what category do you fall under?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Hand off what?

There are three types of fans.

1. Fans of Rugby League
2. Fans of a Rugby League team
3. Fans of Rugby League and of a Rugby League team

A guy I work with fits into category 1. He supports no team but loves the sport. One could call him a student of Rugby League. Mergers of clubs will not affect him in the slightest.

I fit into catergory 3. I fell in love with Parramatta when I was 5. I started playing Rugby League when I was 7 and had my final year playing when I was 23 after recieving two serious concussions. I wouldn't call myself a student of the game but I am close to it. I love Rugby League. I have attended non-Parramatta games and watch as much as the sport as possible, whether it be QLD Cup, ESL, U-20's, whatever. I can't enough of the game. If the Eels merged or God-forbid went extinct, I am not going to suddenly hate, disown, reject Rugby League. That concept is unfathomable. But if that happened I would then fit into Catergory 1

Category 3 fans are those people who would reject, disown, hate Rugby League if their teams mergers or goes extinct. They are not and never were supporters of Rugby League. They are solely supporters of a team that plays Rugby League. For example, I generally dislike soccer, but I will watch Australia in the World Cup and wake up in the middle of the night to cheer to them on. When they get eliminated I will not watch another game in the tournament because the games bores me.

The question is what category do you fall under?

3. I would continue to watch the sport, I simply wouldn't pay money to do so.

Quigs

Immortal
I fall into category #4. Hate the modern game. But follow my club.

They have totally farked up a great game by trying to make a hard contact sport politically correct.

Compare the old State of Origin to the current lot. Its chalk and cheese.

When I was a young bloke you'd go to watch the other sides go around because there were characters in the game. You knew it would be great to watch. Nowdays it is so predictable with two peacocks with whistles now, to pounces with flags and an idiot upstairs and they still get it wrong.

As soon as I saw the Foi Foi hit on the warrior and the forearms of the whistle blower crossing I knew it was going to be another long hard season for watching propper contact sport.

Enough of my ramblings ......... the modern game is farked. I pity those that never enjoyed sitting on the hill and watching a propper Aussie v Pom test match the way it was meant to be played.

Cheers
Quigs

adamkungl

Immortal
why do you all put ells panthers merg because there close dogs ells
ells tigers all closer then penrith

a) Parra fans and Dogs fans hate each other with a passion.
b) Tigers have already merged, and are already stretched far enough as it is (Inner west, Balmain, and Cambeltown)
c) Parramatta and Penrith are both real western sydney, none of this "south west" business.