What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Shorty

Staff member
I didnt ask what you would do, just asked how you would feel. Reading skills are lacking today are they?
Not alllllll fans can just pick up the bags and fly interstate....some fans dont have the funding to do so.
Some fans want THEIR team in the area that they have always been.
You cant abuse someone for that.
Well that was my bad.

Yes, obviously I'd be upset.
But I wouldn't then boycott the league forever for something my club's management had been at fault for..
And I never said I expected fans to go to other locations - That actually wasn't the issue if you read correctly.

Ausguy would ( will?) drop league all together if Cronulla eventually fold...
I am proud to support North Queensland being from North Queensland myself but that's where my support began, it does not end there.
I wouldn't even have a side to support if the NRL hadn't granted my area a team...

I'm not abusing him...that really is a toxic attitude that appears in way too many League fans these days.
Fans of the AFL don't have anywhere near that kind of attitude.
good one add an insult to someone who asked a serious question.

"organise a trip to perth and see mates" every second week???

Not likely.
LOL Um...Saab has had a few choice words today....
Did I actually say every second week? Where was it again?

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
Well that was my bad.

But I wouldn't then boycott the league forever for something my club's management had been at fault for..
And I never said I expected fans to go to other locations - That actually wasn't the issue if you read correctly.

I am proud to support North Queensland being from North Queensland myself but that's where my support began, it does not end there.
I wouldn't even have a side to support if the NRL hadn't granted my area a team...

I'm not abusing him...that really is a toxic attitude that appears in way too many League fans these days.

I rest my case, no one elses just mine.

Ausguy

Coach
Well that was my bad.

Did I actually say every second week? Where was it again?[/quote]

to compare to what i do now....

Mr Saab

Referee
Well that was my bad.

You said you would fly to Perth and watch them play. How much would that cost to fly from NQ to Perth? $50 ? I dont think so
Then there is accomodation.
In todays $$$ climate people dont have the income to spend $400-$600 to fly to watch their team play. Some do, i know this, but not everyone is on 150k a year.
Ausguy would drop the game, thats up to him...many Souths fans dropped league when they were cut....Bears too.

Navjot

Juniors
I can't see the NRL letting Newcastle go under. It's an important area for Rugby League.

I believe the Central Coast deserve a team in the NRL, but with Newcastle and the Central Coast being a very similar size, population wise, does this suggest they too may struggle after the first couple of years?

Also if the suggestions are true and Cronulla are circling the drain, can a potential move to the Central Coast be opposed by the Bears? Or will that just bury any hope the Bears have?

I honestly believe the NRL would much rather a team relocate fulltime to the central coast than bring in another team if they had to, so where that leaves the bears who knows? What grounds can they object on? i hope for the bears fans it wont turn out that way were they get gezumped b4 2012, but it could likely happen in these hard financial times currently.

Shorty

Staff member
You said you would fly to Perth and watch them play. How much would that cost to fly from NQ to Perth? $50 ? I dont think so
Then there is accomodation.
In todays $$$ climate people dont have the income to spend $400-$600 to fly to watch their team play.
Remember I reside in Brisbane and I'd like go yearly or so.
Though this wasn't the issue I was looking at.
Ausguy would drop the game, thats up to him...many Souths fans dropped league when they were cut....Bears too.
And that's fair enough if he wants to do that.
But really I don't understand this attitude, especially when Cronulla is at fault for it's downfall.
Last year the Sharks tied for 1st place, still all year their crowds were fairly average.
Fair enough to represent the area they come from, but obviously the area couldn't care less that they do...

What else is there to do for the area?

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Even if the Sharks moved the Adelaide, there would still be enough games for the die hard Sharks fans to see in Sydney (I am sure a package of Sharks away games in Sydney would be offered), and it's not as if there area isn't represented via St George-Illawarra (though those who follow Cronulla now probably won't, but future generations will).

griffo346

First Grade
mate as i have stated in my posts on previous pages

im a panthers fan in adelaide i wont switch teams to sharks if the relocate however i will go to games at hindmarsh as thats the only live nrl (besides foxtel) we will get

adamkungl

Immortal
Well that was my bad.

Did I actually say every second week? Where was it again?

If the Cronulla Sharks moved, they simply wouldn't be the same club. What is so hard to understand about his point of view? Some of the players and people at the club would be the same, but they come and go, they don't make a club. A logo is just a logo for marketing really. The only thing "real" about a club is the area they represent imo.

Me personally, if Roosters folded I would be lost financially to the NRL. I would still watch on TV and support junior football, but I would never go to a game again (in the forseeable future anyway). If they moved or merged....? I don't know. Wouldn't be the same. Eh.

Ausguy

Coach
agree adam thats the point i made twice... i didnt go back a 3rd time.

its the "Cronulla" part that matters to me... not the sharks part.

they could be the cronulla batterred savs for all i care....

adamkungl

Immortal
He claims in his blog comments there are a couple of positive financial stories in the next couple of days...at least one regarding Sharks development of their assets or some sort of private backer (that's what I gathered from his vague hints).

Rothballs or whatever his name is, has one of the least popular Blogs on the net.

How do you increase popularity and get a few extra hits?

Embellish the financial situation of a coupe of Rugby League clubs, throw in a couple more for good measure and say that they aren't far behind the worst two and Bobs your uncle. Rothballs has never had so many hits! Sensationalism at its worst. Give yourself an uppercut Rothballs and while your at it, give one to Bourbon Beccy as well. I don't encourage hitting Women but she isn't one so fire away.

hutch

First Grade
As a Parramatta Supporter I start to salivate when I start to think of a "super" club in the western suburbs called the Parramatta-Penrith Panthers. With two large Leagues clubs behind them and two massive junior area combined, such a club would have a dynamic future IMHO. I for one would like to see a merger before either one fall over. The same with other clubs that are on the brink.

well you are definately the minority. you merge these clubs, or if any sydney clubs go under for that matter, you lose hundreds of thousands of rugby league supporters.

adamkungl

Immortal
tbh, as much as I wouldn't like it as I hate both clubs for very different reasons and that hate deserves to stay separate, Parra and Penrith is the only logical merger left in the NRL.

Mergers in Football are the same as Mergers in Business. 1 + 1 doesn't = 2 it generally = 1 and a 1/2 or sometimes even less.

Best case scenario if you merge two entities together you will always have some "customers" or "fans" in this case that will become disenchanted and walk away from either that club or the game all together. If the merger is a particularly bad culture fit i.e. Manly and Norths, then potentially it could be 1+1<1.

Mergers of any sort are generally a disaster and take years for the merged organisations to overcome.

Latest posts