What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Willie Mason Superthread

macavity

Referee
It is all about the off field attitude at our club now.

We aren't offering him anything for the same reason we will never offer Thurston anything - whether true or not, both have a reputation for being a bad influence.

Plus I think we are front-loading absolutely everything we can to hit the market hard for 2011 - although I have NFI who will be available for 2011.

The fact that Mason has not been offered a contract by anyone says it all, I was keen before, but the decision was made to get rid of Mason before Smith even got there.

Apparently he is a flea that undermines coach's(Both Folkes a hardarse, and Freddy likeable Hagan like fellow) and is a terrible influence on younger players.

Not the type of player we need particular with a lot of young players.

antonius

Coach
It is all about the off field attitude at our club now.

We aren't offering him anything for the same reason we will never offer Thurston anything - whether true or not, both have a reputation for being a bad influence.

Plus I think we are front-loading absolutely everything we can to hit the market hard for 2011 - although I have NFI who will be available for 2011.
Spot on. The blokes trouble with a capital "T"

Frederick

Staff member
NEVER SAY NEVER: Knights leave door open to signing Willie
BY BRETT KEEBLE
30 Jan, 2010 04:00 AM

THE Knights have not ruled out making a bid for controversial former NSW and Australian enforcer Willie Mason.

The prospect of the 29-year-old Macquarie Scorpions and Hunter Mariners junior returning to Newcastle to try to resurrect his NRL career is a long shot, as he is tipped to join former Bulldogs teammates Johnathan Thurston and Willie Tonga at North Queensland.

It is understood Knights management are investigating Mason's chequered past to determine whether it would be worth gambling on his reputation while they continue to deal with the Danny Wicks drugs scandal and the possibility other players are implicated.

Stacked against that is Mason's star power and ability to draw fans through the turnstiles, whether they like him or not, as he would become the most charismatic player in Knights colours since Andrew Johns retired.

"We're keeping an eye on developments regarding Willie, put it that way," a Knights source said. "In rugby league, you never say never. Stranger things have happened."

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston and coach Rick Stone said yesterday that the club had not held formal discussions with Mason or his manager, Greg Keenan.

But neither indicated the door was closed on Mason, who remains one of league's most colourful characters and in his prime was considered the NRL's most damaging running forward.

"No, we haven't said no, but we haven't even entered any negotiation," Burraston said. "Unless the coach tells me that he wants another player, and he wants someone like Mason that fits the bill, we probably wouldn't speak to him."

Mason has a year to run on his $400,000-a-season contract with the Roosters but is unwanted by the Bondi-based club now coached by former Knights mentor Brian Smith.

He has been shopped around to a host of NRL clubs, including Melbourne and Manly, but all have knocked him back.

The Roosters are obliged to pay the bulk of his salary this year, meaning his new NRL club could gain his services for as little as $50,000 to $80,000.

As Mason's options are whittled away, so is his price tag, which is keeping the Knights interested.

The departure of Wicks, who would have reportedly earned more than $200,000 this season, has given the Knights breathing space under the salary cap which could allow them to snap up Mason for the right price.

Stone said Mason would have to be approved by Burraston and the club's board before he even considered throwing the former Churchill Medallist a lifeline.

"I probably think it would be a board matter first," Stone said.

"I suppose, like every coach, you'd be interested in a good player getting added to your roster; particularly with us losing a decent player, we'd be interested for sure.

"But I think it would be up to Burro and the board to see whether they would see that would be an appropriate type of player to bring to the club."

Apart from his own junior roots on both sides of Lake Macquarie, at Toronto and Valentine, Mason still has family living in this area and his 18-year-old brother Rodney is a member of the Knights' National Youth Cup (under-20) squad this season.

He also has a strong connection with Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow, who was instrumental in helping Mason join the Bulldogs when the Mariners folded in 1997.

[PI9016] Former Knights director John Duncan has been appointed to the club's board to fill the vacancy created by Mark Fitzgibbon's resignation last month.

[PI9016] An MRI scan has confirmed explosive Knights prop Richie Fa'aoso will be sidelined for six weeks with a grade-two tear of the medial ligament in his right knee.
LINK

perverse

Referee
... and i would still take him in a heartbeat. danny wicks for willie mason? quite the trade imo.

Frederick

Staff member
"I suppose, like every coach, you'd be interested in a good player getting added to your roster; particularly with us losing a decent player, we'd be interested for sure.
Well Stone's definitely up for it. C'mon Burro, you know he'd be an asset for us

Jono078

Referee
I'm definitely interested in getting him.

After the Roosters showed him the door he will be up for a big season, he still has it in him IMO.

Also as I said, he is a name that will bring people through the gates.

aqua_duck

Coach
I reckon being around family could be good for him, being out of the Sydney media can't hurt either

SaltNVinegar

Juniors
One question before I get to the point on this article, Why were there the other articles when it was pretty much confirmed that Mason was unwanted that were saying the Knights werent interested? Was that temporary? To me it felt like he had a 0% chance of coming here after seeing those articles?

Considering we'd be paying him 5 figures, I reckon he could get some fans at the home games (something which would help a club like us a lot). You read quotes from his trainers as recent as todays article, and they dont have one bad thing to say about him. They give off the vibe his attitude is good and he's ready to repay the favour to whoever gives him a chance.

We'll see what the board, CEO, coach and players think.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think he'd say no to coming here. He's a local boy, family lives in Newie and brother is at the club. He's also pretty tight with Keith Onslow it seems

I've been negative before but I cant help but get excited over the thought of a player of masons capabilities with us.

Imagine him against the Roosters! By god its enough to wet yourself as a footy fan!

roopy

Referee
Picking up a 400k player for 100k is great for this season, but do we want the old fella for big money next year?
He'd probably want at least 300k next season - Simmo's money, but we would get more value from Simmo probably.

Jono078

Referee
Imagine him and Cross taking the first hitups of the game setting the platform then Paterson, Simpson, Houston, Taia running after that.

That would be awesome.

Do it Knights!

IanG

Coach
Well I'm hearing he's willing to take $60K just so he can play this season. We now have some cash freed up under the cap from Danny Wicks's depature. So I say take a punt on him. But have a clause in his contract saying one slip up your gone.

Whats Doing

Bench
It sounds like the price is right, the attitude is right, and the fit is right so lets make the play for big Willie!

voltron

Juniors
PLEASE!!!@!!!
this would make me so happy!!!!!!
i feel bad that mason is being so rejected
especially since he's been pretty quiet the past couple of years

Yosh

Coach
Definately worth the punt... Who cares about next year I am sure he'll be a huge presence for us this season!

Alex28

Coach
One question before I get to the point on this article, Why were there the other articles when it was pretty much confirmed that Mason was unwanted that were saying the Knights werent interested? Was that temporary? To me it felt like he had a 0% chance of coming here after seeing those articles?
Perhaps management were doing a decent job for once of working on getting a high profile player at the right price...

Latest posts