What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Willie Mason Superthread

Signing Big W would create a huge buzz this club has not seen in years. The hometown product the club didn't want coming home to prove he is still one of the best at what he does. Will also create great confidence in the supporters as we have a genuine presence player. By presence I mean a player who can literally turn a game from nothing. Just like JT, Locky, Inglis, Prince etc... Fingers crossed from me anyway.

roopy

Referee
The problem with a poll like this is that the 20% odd voting no would probably like it to read 'hell no' - and the 80% don't care a lot.

If the club want to know if the 20% will walk away from the Knights over Willey they need to ask people just that.

fred92

Juniors
The problem with a poll like this is that the 20% odd voting no would probably like it to read 'hell no' - and the 80% don't care a lot.

If the club want to know if the 20% will walk away from the Knights over Willey they need to ask people just that.
Or maybe the no votes don't a dam,and the 80% yes votes are saying hell yes. If you don't agree with a four to one majority Roops, then don't let your bias against Mason taint the result of what appears to be a fair vote. why dont you conduct your own poll and just formulate the questions to suit your opinion, I believe the Knight's supporters generally would welcome him into the fold. I support the Roosters and wish he was lining up for us next year. It really irks me to read the printed hatred that seems to have pervaded the minds of so many people that follow Rugby League today.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Bush league stuff. Not only do you not need to be registered to vote (meaning any asshole with an internet connection can vote), but if you refresh the page you can vote again.

Wonderful stuff :crazy:

aqua_duck

Coach
Surely if he had to choose between us and the cows he'd choose us, I mean not only are they going like a pack of busteds, his brother is here and so are his family. Also I'd imagine he'd be mates with Onslow

Yosh

Coach
Hmm... Well surely he'll want to stay close right? He knows just as much as anyone else JT is gone next year and NQ premiership chances will leave with him. Our club has a future. Spend next 2 or 3 seasons here and he might win a premiership and leave a good legacy back at his home ground...

Frederick

Staff member
We want Willie: Senior Knights eager to recruit Mason
BY BRETT KEEBLE
02 Feb, 2010 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS captain Kurt Gidley and senior players have given Willie Mason an overwhelming vote of confidence, effectively rolling out the welcome mat for the homeless Sydney Roosters forward to join Newcastle's NRL roster this season.

Mason is scheduled to meet in Sydney today with North Queensland coach Neil Henry and the Knights will formally discuss their interest at a football committee meeting tomorrow.

Whatever the Cowboys decide, it is understood influential figures at the Knights have been in contact with Mason and player agent Sam Ayoub to let them know Newcastle are keen to discuss the idea of him playing for the club this year, and to hold off from agreeing to anything with the Cowboys until he has had the chance to speak with the Knights.

The Herald has been told the Roosters have already paid him about $100,000, a quarter of his reported $400,000-a-year salary, as he has been on their books for the past three months. The Knights or Cowboys could be required to outlay between $50,000 and $80,000 for his services, and the Roosters would be obliged to pick up most of the shortfall.

Gidley and seasoned second-rower Steve Simpson have played alongside Mason in NSW and Australian teams, and prop Ben Cross and playmaker Jarrod Mullen have been NSW teammates of the former international.

The Newcastle and NSW skipper said it was up to Knights chief executive Steve Burraston and the club's board to determine whether it was worth pursuing Mason but believed it would make sense for the former Toronto and Valentine junior to return to his home town.

"The times I've played with him in Origin and those games, he's been great. He's been a real leader," said Gidley, who played Origin with Mason in 2007 and 2008 and for Australia in the Centenary Test.

"He came off a knee reco last year, which is always tough for any player, but he's a big man, he's quick, he's agile, and they're the sort of blokes you'd like in your team."

Gidley believed Mason was largely misunderstood because of his outspoken nature and tendency to attract publicity for his off-field activities, but he was sure the giant game-breaker would be welcomed by Knights players and supporters if given a chance.

"I think he'd enjoy coming home and probably getting out of the rat race that he's been in in Sydney," he said.

"He's copped plenty of hard times down there the last few years probably some of them brought on himself but others, he hasn't asked for, so I think it would be good for him to maybe come up here and have a fresh start and hopefully kick-start his career again.

"I talk to him throughout the year . . . and I know he's disappointed about what's gone on the last few months, because he just wants to be part of a team and preparing to play footy, so I think he'd like to finalise this and try to get back on the park and training with a team.

"It's all perception. He's a big man, so he stands out for a start, and he says what he thinks, and that's probably something that's gone against him at times."

Cross, who played Origin with Mason in 2008, agreed a return to Newcastle to be closer to his family would provide a more settled atmosphere on and off the field.

"He comes back here, his brother [Rod] is in our 20s, his Mum's out at Toronto, he's a local boy, so I think it would be good for him to come back and play here," Cross said.

"I reckon if you can pick up Willie Mason for anywhere between $50,000 and $80,000 and some other club pays for him, it would be unbelievable to have him.

"As a team player, he's a good teammate to have in your side, he plays for the team and he's just a good bloke to be around, too.

"He's a character and he'll draw more people through the gates and he's got plenty of good footy left ahead of him.

"Coming back from a knee reconstruction, that takes 18 months for some big blokes, so I think he's got a lot to prove and he'll go really well."

Mullen and Simpson said a motivated Mason would be an asset but it was up to management to decide if he was worth the risk.

"It would be nice to have him. Obviously he's a class player but at this stage it's all up in the air and we're not sure, no one in the NRL's sure, where he's going to go," Mullen said.

Simpson said: "It's out of my hands if he's here or not, but I think he'd definitely add something to the team, the way he plays.

"I've always found him pretty genuine and he's been good to me. The club has to go through the processes but if it works out that he comes here, it would be great to have him."

Gidley said Mason's "professional" attitude towards training and playing was something only teammates and those close to him were aware of.

"Away from footy, he's a good bloke to hang around because he's fun and is always having a laugh," the NRL All Star utility said.

"But certainly he's got a different side to him, probably that most people don't see, which is when he's at training or when he's preparing for a game.

"He's certainly professional when it comes to the footy side of it. It definitely comes down to a club decision but certainly, from a player's point of view, I'd rather have him on my team than be playing against him, that's for sure."
LINK

Surely that settles it for Knights management.

Frederick

Staff member
Mad Dog speaks up for big Willie: Veteran leads call to bring forward home
BY BRETT KEEBLE
02 Feb, 2010 04:00 AM

CONSIDERING how much controversy he has endured and how many myths he has busted during his own colourful career, it is easy to understand Adam MacDougall's empathy for Willie Mason.

Like Mason, 34-year-old MacDougall has attracted some unwanted headlines as a professional rugby league player, but Newcastle's evergreen outside back said it was unfair to judge someone without knowing them or the circumstances behind their story.

"What's happened to him, I feel bad for him, as a player, to be denied the ability to do what you love to do, which is play football," MacDougall said of the alienated Roosters forward.

"You don't really know someone until you spend time to get to know them. A lot of people have judged him as a person and judged his character when they don't even know the bloke.

"I think he deserves an opportunity for people to judge him on who he is, not on what the rumours and innuendo are.

"I know personally, a lot of the stories I hear about myself are pretty wide of the mark, so I'm sure most of the stuff that you hear about Willie, it's blown out of proportion.

"You're always going to have people in life who don't like you.

"If you go through life worrying about who likes you and doesn't like you, you end up chasing your tail.

"People for whatever reason are going to like you or dislike you, but at the end of the day, he's a great footballer and a lot of people who don't even know him are making judgements about him."

MacDougall, who spent three years at Souths between stints at the Knights, hopes Newcastle management now give Toronto-raised Mason a chance to experience something he has enjoyed a happy homecoming.

The former international winger was not born and bred in the Hunter but has spent enough time here to be embraced as a local, playing vital roles in Newcastle's grand final wins in 1997 and 2001, and if anything he has become even more popular the second time around.

"I first met Willie when he was 15 and playing for the Hunter Mariners juniors," said MacDougall, who like Mason has represented NSW and Australia. "He's from Toronto and I'm sure if he pulled on the red-and-blue jersey, he'd play with a lot of pride in it, and from my point of view, I'd like to see him in the Knights jersey this year.

"He'd be damaging and would add so much to our forward pack, he could be the X-factor we're looking for as far as our team goes.

"From a personal point of view, I've got a lot of respect for Willie as a footballer. He's overcome a pretty bad injury last year and he hit his straps at the back-end of last season.

"He's a quality player, he's won grand finals and played for his country and his state, so as far as football goes, you don't get any higher credentials than what he brings.

"I'd love to be running off the back of some of his play-the-balls."
LINK

The fact that the telegraph has confirmed that Stoney has met with Mase already suggests we are very keen to sign him. Henry still gets his chance so we are not there yet. We have made the right moves thpugh and Mase knows he is wanted here.

roopy

Referee
Or maybe the no votes don't a dam,and the 80% yes votes are saying hell yes. If you don't agree with a four to one majority Roops, then don't let your bias against Mason taint the result of what appears to be a fair vote. why dont you conduct your own poll and just formulate the questions to suit your opinion, I believe the Knight's supporters generally would welcome him into the fold. I support the Roosters and wish he was lining up for us next year. It really irks me to read the printed hatred that seems to have pervaded the minds of so many people that follow Rugby League today.
I want him here - but it has become very clear to me over the last few days that a lot of women still hate the guy because he was the face of the Bulldogs at a time when they had a public relations nightmare over the Coffs allegations.
We would hope Willie would bring fans through the gate - but if, in fact, he will cost us crowd numbers, it would be very good to know now.

macavity

Referee
I agree the club needs an idea of where our stakeholders stand on this, but an unsecured poll on the website?

Oh well, at least they are engaging.

I reckon we are 70/30 on to get him. And I can't wait.

Frederick

Staff member
Neither. I can't wait for our first home game, and to hear the ground announcer say "number 8 - Biiiiiig Williiiiie Maaaaaaaasooooooooon". Would be absolutely stoked to have him playing for us

Skinner

Coach

That's obviously what the club is fishing for. If we take him, how many people will we lose.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
As long as he does the hard yards. One of my biggest problems with wicks was he didn't earn his money... didn't even attempt to.