What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Willie Mason Superthread

doggone

Juniors
Well aren''t you going to go for it! Definately worth the punt. Think he will have a big season and reward the club that gets him.

If we lose the big fella to the cowboys it will be a disgrace. I mean we only have the small trump card of his entire family living here. For that price tag it is insanity not to at least try to sign him. If we get the old Willie Mason then we would have the buy of the season. If not we at least bought a player who will click the turnstiles over by a couple of thousand more per game.

Peppers

Juniors
I can see it now - another Smith reject moving to another club and winning a premiership a la Perry and Newton.......we must sign him.

Pumba

First Grade
Willie still on radar Newcastle may have left debate far too late
BY BRETT KEEBLE

THE Knights will discuss their interest in Willie Mason at a meeting on Wednesday, but should they decide to pursue the out-of-favour Roosters forward they could be too late.

Mason will meet in Sydney tomorrow with North Queensland coach Neil Henry, who will indicate whether the Cowboys want to sign the former NSW and Australian strike forward for this season.

If the Cowboys are prepared to throw Mason a lifeline, the Knights could have missed the boat by the time the football committee meets on Wednesday to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of chasing the controversial former Churchill Medallist.

Mason is managed by Greg Keenan but long-time player agent Sam Ayoub is handling negotiations regarding where he plays in 2010.

Ayoub, who returned to Sydney last night after spending the weekend in Townsville, said he had not spoken directly to the Knights but was aware of their purported interest in Mason and planned to contact the club as early as today to determine how genuine they are.

"It's still up in the air with the Cowboys," Ayoub said.

"Neil Henry is coming to Sydney on Tuesday and he'll meet with Willie, so we should know after that meeting whether they're interested."

In a statement that should encourage Cowboys and Knights supporters, players and officials, Mason told a Townsville newspaper on Saturday: "In the end I just want to move forward and I know that I'll be giving my next club my utmost."

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston said the 29-year-old Toronto junior still had much to offer as a player but the club had to weigh that up against Mason's reputation for attracting headlines for his off-field behaviour.

"We've had no direct negotiation with his management at all but we've certainly discussed it among ourselves briefly," Burraston said.

"Fortunately we have a scheduled football committee meeting on Wednesday, so we'll put it on the agenda there and have a discussion about it and see if there's any will for the club to go ahead with it."

Burraston said signing another forward would help offset the loss of front-rower Danny Wicks, who resigned last month exactly one week after being charged with six counts of supply and two of possessing prohibited drugs.

A knee injury that will sideline Richie Fa'aoso for six weeks has further depleted Newcastle's prop stocks, and Burraston said Mason represented good value because the Knights might only be required to pay up to $80,000 of his $400,000 salary this year.

"From a football point of view, it makes a lot of sense," Burraston said.

"We've lost a player in Wicks, and now we've had Fa'aoso injure his knee and he'll be out for what appears to be at least six weeks.

"We don't have a lot of money under the salary cap and because of Willie's situation, the price being discussed, that would fit him under the cap for us.

"And he is a forward, which we need, and to be honest, there's not a lot else out there or if anyone did want to move someone on, it would be far more expensive and we probably couldn't fit them under the cap anyhow.

"So from a football point of view, it makes a lot of sense, but what we've got to be clear about in our mind, is that it's what our members want and what our sponsors want and what our club needs.

"We're not sure why the Roosters are pushing Willie on, and we're not sure why other clubs haven't accepted him.

"That's what we'll try to get to the bottom of, and make sure that if the decision is to go forward and start negotiations, that it won't damage our club in any way."

Herald

Peppers

Juniors
Whatever you say.
I think the general consensus is that Smith does not want to have him at the Roosters this season.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Cool, actually making some progress now.

So it's Cowboys or Knights for Willie. Hopefully he prefers home.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
We don't have a lot of money under the salary cap and because of Willie's situation, the price being discussed, that would fit him under the cap for us.

Why do we always have none, but storm and Manly have heaps?

Last edited:
Dont worry sneaky gives me a case of the sh*ts every time I read that too.

Weird the club comes out now and says they are interested when he is almost signed and delivered to NQ, and they arent meeting til Wed.

Looks like a safe face move by the club IMO, not to mention snide remarks about his reputation to put him off us to start with.

Our club really sh*ts me sometimes.

macavity

Referee
The CEO said the members will let him know what they think.... I have already sent the club an email, have you?

roopy

Referee
I reckon we made him a one year offer 3 or 4 weeks ago when he was hanging around the Hunter, and he has been looking for a 2 or 3 year deal that includes at least 200k a season for next year.
Even if he doesn't play at all he gets 400k this year.
All he cares about is a deal for next year.

North Queensland Cowboys looking to rope in Willie Mason

By Wayne Heming
February 01, 2010 NRL vagrant Willie Mason will have to sell himself to North Queensland Cowboys coach Neil Henry when they "chat" about the discarded Sydney Roosters' future on Tuesday.
Henry, who will be in Sydney to attend an NRL coaches meeting on Wednesday, will take time to assess the 29-year-old's reasons for wanting to play for the Cowboys.

He will not have a contract in his bag and it will be up to Mason, who has dipped out of contract talks with Melbourne Storm and Manly recently, to satisfy Henry he'd fit into the Cowboys' structure and not be a liability following a string of misdemeanours with previous clubs.

“In the end I just want to move forward and I know that I'll be giving my next club my utmost,” Mason told a Townsville newspaper at the weekend.

Henry wants to be totally convinced.

Newcastle Knights, where Mason's brother Rodney plays and the area his family live, are reportedly poised to make a late play for Willie this week.

When contacted by AAP on Monday, Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr again refused to discuss any interest his club might have in the controversial Origin and Test forward.

“What I will say on the record is we'll let everyone know whether we decide to pursue it (Mason) or not and that should be in a few days time.”

The Cowboys are filthy their efforts to carry out due diligence after being approached to consider signing Mason was leaked to the media last week.

Henry will sit down with Mason on Tuesday mainly to gauge his commitment and to talk about his life, not to be part of any bidding war for his services.

It's understood if Mason wants to play for the Cowboys, it will have to be under their terms and for whatever they can afford to pay him.

If talks turn to money, the Cowboys will walk away.

Sydney-based player manager Sam Ayoub, who has been assisting Mason's manager Greg Keenan find his client a new club, returned from Townsville on Sunday after attending a wedding in north Queensland.

“Parrie (Peter Parr) did give me a call and tell me Neil was going to arrange a meeting with Willie while he was down here, that's all I know,” Ayoub said

“I haven't spoken to Willie yet but I will call him for a chat sometime today (Monday).”

Ayoub wasn't worried Mason could be stranded without a club: “You can rest assured Willie will be playing in the NRL, that's for sure and certain.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26661825-5018866,00.html

AAP

Atleast it isnt to be a snap decision by the Cows, we'll atleast have the chance to table an offer should the club choose to do so.

Pumba

First Grade
WILLIE MASON: MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS POLL

Do you support Willie Mason becoming a Newcastle Knight in 2010?

That’s the question we’re putting to Members and Supporters in an official newcastleknights.com poll.

Since media speculation began last Friday about the possibility of Willie Mason returning to his home town to play for the Knights in 2010, it seems the entire town is talking about the NRL’s highest profile player.

CEO, Steve Burraston is yet to meet with the Knights Board of Directors to discuss the club’s position but in the meantime we’re asking supporters and members to express their opinions by casting a vote.

To vote, simply go back to the home page and scroll down to today’s question to have your say about Big Willie’s chances of wearing the red and blue this season.

Newcastle Knights

Get Voting! Lets make Willie a Knight!!

Burwood

Bench
Can you vote multiple times? When you reload the page the option to vote is there again, but it doesn't seem to affect the poll???

Burwood

Bench
On another note, has something like this ever been done by an NRL club before? I can't think of another occasion where the fans have been polled in such a manner.

The only downside is that it is hardly a true indication of how Newcastle fans feel- it would be very easy for opposition fans to cast a vote when it doesn't impact on them at all.