What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wrestling Question Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I guess it had two reasons behind it's elimination:
- Make way for an extra brand exclusive PPV
- Because it would mean having to dedicate time (and brackets) on Raw and Smackdown

Big Pete

Referee
I liked KotR too and thought it was a lot better than Bad Blood.

I think if they did in 2002 but eliminated the stipulation you got a World Title shot then it would make for a good PPV.

I thought Edge was a deserved winner and before he got injured he had received a decent push from Mid-Card to Lower Heavyweight.

thuganomics

Coach
Even Billy Gunn at the time was a deserved winner. He was getting pushed heavily at that time, but a shoulder injury put him back a few steps.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think if they did in 2002 but eliminated the stipulation you got a World Title shot then it would make for a good PPV.

What's the point of the tournament if you don't get a title shot?

Big Pete

Referee
^ Because it pushes characters way too quickly.

Look at Lesnar, in less than a year he had done everything (or nearly everything) the WWE had to offer.

Sure give them a title shot later but not in 2 months time like in Lesnars case.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think the KotR should be brought back with a #1 contendership match/Money in the bank stipulation
can prelong the push with this sort of thing, so no one is rushed

thuganomics

Coach
I tend to agree with Big Pete. I really didn't like the stipulation of having a title shot just a couple months later. They should build that wrestler up like the did with Austin and HHH then give him the title.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Uh... so what's the Royal Rumble then?

The tournament should be used to push already well known upper midcarders to the main event. That's what it was known for. If not that, then load it with legitimate main eventers wanting a title shot.

The way you two are discussing it, you make it sound like it rocketted people to the very top every year. The only worker who really had that treatment was Lesnar, and that was in line with his entire push.

Big Pete

Referee
IMO if you did that then it'd just lose the spark it had.

King of the Ring made names but it wasn't always a guarantee if the wrestler couldn't handle the main event then their careers would go no where.

If you handed the wrestler a title shot then all it would be doing is forcing wrestlers down our throats, which isn't a good move.

Let's use an example if we had a KotR right now.

Shelton Benjamin won it and he had the title shot. Now he's a good wreslter sure, but he's not ready for the main event just yet, it'd be better if he had just won, got a push and see if he could handle the main event.

Misanthrope

Staff member
So you wouldn't let Shelton Benjamin win it. If you were doing it at the moment you'd let someone like Booker T, Chris Benoit, or Kane win it - somebody who has been hovering around the upper midcard for a while and needs a valid reason to step up into the main event.

Big Pete

Referee
I would rather Y2J or RVD win it if it was giving away title shots.

Y2J - If given the proper push would be a good heavyweight prospect.

RVD - Ditto, allow him to bring in some more of his hardcore moves as well and give him a good manager like he had in ECW and he'll be over.

The Stipulation just wouldn't work for Shelton just yet. He needs more air time and more time to give us reasons outside of the ring to care about him.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah understood CWB I was just using him as an example because face it besides from him there is no other wrestler at the moment (besides Christian or possibly Mr. Kennedy) who deserve it at the moment.

One question.

What was the first PPV any of you guys watched?

My first was wCw Bash at the Beach 1998, horrible PPV with Hogan and Rodman vs. Page and Malone as the main event...

Misanthrope

Staff member
You know, Pete, I think I might have seen the same one. Was that the one with a match out on an actual beach?

Misanthrope

Staff member
This is being asked over at EWB but I'll ask it here as well. What match or occurence (within the last year) has reminded you why you're a wrestling fan?

PARANoIR

Bench
The ECW PPV. I loved that thing.

Rey Mysterio ever damn week.

The Impending return of RVD.

Also, Angle/Michaels at Wrestlemania. - I havent got so much into a match in ages.

Hardys leg drop off the cage.

Hogan giving me someone to truely want to piss off again. Ironically he was the last person I wanted to piss off aswell :p