What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers v Dragons Match Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

gregstar

Referee
Impellitteri said:
Why don't you two actually consider it in context? Someone said it was a 'lucky' win due to the bounce off the post...btw, didn't Barrett get smashed to lose the ball? The post didn't lose the ball...something like that would not have happened two seasons ago so its time to have some 'extra' luck...you guys are sad for flipping your lids
wtf? you're still cranky about not having luck 2 years ago?

your win last night wasn't lucky - it was simply a good win by defending premiers.

get over yourself

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I have to congratulate the Tigers

how many times do we see the reigning premiers go down first game of the year, and the Drags are no push over

onya lads

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
it wasnt a head clash
watch the replay
barret just hgot hit in a good tackle n stayed down to try and slow the play down like the cat he is - anyone remember vaganas shove on him in the semi final where he thought he was ko'd?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FFS Stop making this about your pathetic winless faggoty team!

Tigers won and deserved to. Doesn't mean the Tigers are bound to win the premiership again. Dragons should be proud how close they came.

Craigshark

First Grade
dodge said:
A few points:

- It's Round One. Stop acting like you've won it again - because you haven't. There are 29 long weeks left.

- Grand Final is actually in October ;-)

Hahaha, coming from you. I seem to remember the whole of last year, you refered to your team as the Premiers, and acted the same way. Hypocrite.

Congratulations Tigers, good win.

thuganomics

Coach
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
it wasnt a head clash
watch the replay
barret just hgot hit in a good tackle n stayed down to try and slow the play down like the cat he is - anyone remember vaganas shove on him in the semi final where he thought he was ko'd?

I think if it was just a big hit that Scott Prince wouldn't of looked that concerned. I think he saw that it was a head clash, hence wanted to check on Barretts condition.

simon says

First Grade
Two points....Barrett got smashed by Gibbs,who milked it like he couldnt walk again to stall for time.

And......are we still the Bradburies after a come from behind win against the real premiers?????

Loved the intensity of the game.....great start to the year.

Southernsaint

Staff member
According to the SMH, "Barrett was too exhausted to attend the post-match press conference after being unable to eat or drink since Wednesday due to a bout of diarrhoea, and a knock to the head six minutes before full-time didn't help him"...

It was a good game, but it would've been of a higher standard had we met a few rounds in after the rust was shaken off. There was a bit of dropped ball...

colonel_123

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
According to the SMH, "Barrett was too exhausted to attend the post-match press conference after being unable to eat or drink since Wednesday due to a bout of diarrhoea, and a knock to the head six minutes before full-time didn't help him"...

It was a good game, but it would've been of a higher standard had we met a few rounds in after the rust was shaken off. There was a bit of dropped ball...

It was definately a typical round 1 clash made more exciting by a close finish and some good hits.

Both teams showed that they'll be much better late in the season.

borat

Bench
My thoughts on the games as a Dragons supporter was that I was very happy with the way the team performed without coming away with the points.

As it was mentioned at the end of the game, the Dragons have won 1 rd 1 game in 7 attempts as a JV and I am forever used to seeing a poor performance like 2005. So last nights effort was a breath of fresh air against the reigning premiers who looked a little rusty in patches but mostly performed very well. In fact with 10mins to go at 14 all I thought both sides would be happy at the end of the game win or lose. I also thought that it was a far better performance by the Dragons than in the 3 games against the Tigers last year.

In saying all of that any tigers fan who can't acknowledge that they got an extremely lucky break with 7 mins to go with the ball hitting the crossbar is kidding themselves. I thought barrett losing the ball was the result of Gibbs putting his forearm up to protect himself on impact and hitting barrett high in the head. IMO this should have been a penalty to the dragons. However I thought the dragons got the better of the refereeing decisions during the game so it all evens out.

A high quality game with two teams who will get alot better.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I agree with most people it was a typical opening round clash. Congrats to the Tigers, again I tipped the Dragons against them.

Just some mental notes
- The Barrett Gibbs head clash, it was no head clash it was Bryce Gibbs right forearm hitting Barrett in the head.

- 33 seconds into the game Ryles (who else) gets called for an around the head penalty, and I think there wasn’t one called again all night?

- A few times in the first half Dragons had a scrum and for the whole set of 6 Gasiner (and Barrett sometimes) went to dummy half. A few times some mistakes came from the dummy half, a terrible pass or a pass intended for someone else. Dean Young/Aaron Gorrell are the dummy halfs, it’s their job.

- Trent Barrett had a terrible game defensively, seemed like he was playing Under 12’s and just wanted to smash the opposition instead of tackling, he let in 2 tries and missed 6 out of 10 tackles.

Tigers best
3. Paul Whaturia
2. Anthony Laffranchi
1. Scott Prince

Dragons best
3. Mark Gasnier
2. Luke Bailey
1. Aaron Gorrell

mepelthwack

Juniors
borat said:
My thoughts on the games as a Dragons supporter was that I was very happy with the way the team performed without coming away with the points.

As it was mentioned at the end of the game, the Dragons have won 1 rd 1 game in 7 attempts as a JV and I am forever used to seeing a poor performance like 2005. So last nights effort was a breath of fresh air against the reigning premiers who looked a little rusty in patches but mostly performed very well. In fact with 10mins to go at 14 all I thought both sides would be happy at the end of the game win or lose. I also thought that it was a far better performance by the Dragons than in the 3 games against the Tigers last year.

In saying all of that any tigers fan who can't acknowledge that they got an extremely lucky break with 7 mins to go with the ball hitting the crossbar is kidding themselves. I thought barrett losing the ball was the result of Gibbs putting his forearm up to protect himself on impact and hitting barrett high in the head. IMO this should have been a penalty to the dragons. However I thought the dragons got the better of the refereeing decisions during the game so it all evens out.

Mate this is a good post and you are right I as a Tigers fan would have been happy regardless effortwise from the 65 minute mark onwards.

Sure, the hit the cross-bar was lucky but no luckier collectively than the bounce Gasnier got for his 2nd try and the 2 forward passes being let go in the leadup to his 3rd. Dragons fans that can't acknowledge these points IMO are in denial.

borat

Bench
mepelthwack said:
Mate this is a good post and you are right I as a Tigers fan would have been happy regardless effortwise from the 65 minute mark onwards.

Sure, the hit the cross-bar was lucky but no luckier collectively than the bounce Gasnier got for his 2nd try and the 2 forward passes being let go in the leadup to his 3rd. Dragons fans that can't acknowledge these points IMO are in denial.

Yeah but hitting the crossbar with 7 minutes to go after we had hit the lead is a little more pivotal. You gotta have a little luck these days to win matches so I don't see it as a big deal. I wasn't saying it was a lucky win, I was saying you got a little luck at the right time.

On the forward passes I already stated in my post that we had the better of the refereeing decisions during the game. It evens out.

innsaneink

Referee
borat said:

Youre smoking some good sh*t there....there was NO forearm to barrett, have another look. just a good hard hit.

You dont think Saints got a lucky break when gaz scored after a saints forward pass, then saints losing the ball only for Galloway to have it stripped after running half a step and the ref ruling that that was advantage played thus a feed to Saints, and the try in the ensuing set. There was no advantage and the feed shoulda been Wests.

*Edit

Didnt see mepelthwack pick you up on these points also..sorry.

mepelthwack

Juniors
borat said:
Yeah but hitting the crossbar with 7 minutes to go after we had hit the lead is a little more pivotal. You gotta have a little luck these days to win matches so I don't see it as a big deal. I wasn't saying it was a lucky win, I was saying you got a little luck at the right time.

On the forward passes I already stated in my post that we had the better of the refereeing decisions during the game. It evens out.

All fair points Borat.

I am pretty sure our 2 teams will still be round thereabouts at least up to late September.

borat

Bench
innsaneink said:
Youre smoking some good sh*t there....there was NO forearm to barrett, have another look. just a good hard hit.

You dont think Saints got a lucky break when gaz scored after a saints forward pass, then saints losing the ball only for Galloway to have it stripped after running half a step and the ref ruling that that was advantage played thus a feed to Saints, and the try in the ensuing set. There was no advantage and the feed shoulda been Wests.

*Edit

Didnt see mepelthwack pick you up on these points also..sorry.

And as I replied, I thought we definitely got the better of the refereeing decisions. Usually we don't, but I did think at least one of those was forward. And I still think, IMO, that Gibbs hit him with an unintentional forearm at the point of collision, and I have watched over again. But thats IMO.

However, as I have already said, I have no complaints because I acknowledge the ref on a whole gave us the better of the decisions. Its game 1, the Dragons played well but got beaten by a better team on the night. Its hardly worth getting upset about.

Latest posts