What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

Pomoz

Bench
But quite literally no-one is doing this.
Billy, you love an argument don't you? Panther mike said Cartwright played like "a spastic" and Umina said Cartwright doesn't know what he's doing. There's two examples. Anyway, let's move on. I can't see over the pile of vented spleens.

Kilkenny

Coach
Coach Griffin is not going to change things at this late stage and I really don't think he has seriously contemplated putting Moylan at 5/8.

2017 will almost certainly see the Cleary/TMM combination in the halves, barring injury.

At the stage of this season all our focus should be on supporting the boys and hopefully they do us proud in however many games we have remaining.

franklin2323

Immortal
Coach Griffin is not going to change things at this late stage and I really don't think he has seriously contemplated putting Moylan at 5/8.

2017 will almost certainly see the Cleary/TMM combination in the halves, barring injury.

At the stage of this season all our focus should be on supporting the boys and hopefully they do us proud in however many games we have remaining.

good sentiments. Who cares who is playing in what position? We are winning and have a finals campaign to play. Latu plays as a half at times we don't have a set 5/8th and it's working.

Reactions: Bob

maple_69

Bench
Here here. Decisions have been made. I think we missed an opportunity to trial Moylan at 5/8 but it's one of very few decisions made this year that i don't think was ultimately right.

I don't think anyone would want to be facing us in the coming weeks. We may not be the most mature or consistent side but we can strike from anywhere on the park and our defence seems to have progressed to serviceable. I'm really confident the 17 guys we've been running for the last month or two will do us proud and we have made huge progress building a side that can contend next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Even if we don't have another win this year. We have blooded our future 7 and players like Bryce will finally play finals footy which can only help.

Selecton dramas will go on next year. Whare/Hiku need to comeback in as does Martin and someone out for Tamou so this debate won't be solved anytime soon

hindy111

Post Whore
If Moylan stays at fullback, where does whare and Hiku come into the team?
Mansour and DWZ are cement and Peachey is a weapon at centre-Found a home.
Blake getting better every game. I do not see how or who or what gets dropped?

TheFrog

Coach
I wouldn't agree DWZ is undroppable, although his form has improved immensely over the past month, but he's still a turnstile in defence. We were lucky not to concede a try last game when Hayne turned him inside out, Moylan of all people came to the rescue. I suspect either DWZ to 1, Moylan to 6, Hiku or Blake to wing or Hiku to 1. Peachey to come off the bench as in previous years.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hiku not in my top 17. He would have to show some outstanding form in my opinion to dislodge any of our outside backs. Same applies to Dean Whare. Best part of two years out of the game will have to prove himself all over again in my opinion.

Pomoz

Bench
If Whare stays fit he'll prove he's still the best outside back at the club in no time
Good, because on form he is a gun. Hiku would have to be the odd man out, his defence is terrible. Peachy can play lock or second row.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
2017 I'd love to see Hiku trialed on the wing and DWZ at fullback. Dallin has been looking fitter and more like his old self the past few weeks. Hiku on the other hand would have missed 9 months or so of footy by then and he wasn't the fittest bloke to begin with.

Maybe give Waqa Blake a trial on the wing too. He's too good to drop. Peachey is too good to move from centre. Whare is too good to leave out if fit. I know Waqa Blake has been awful as a winger in the past... but hopefully he has improved since then. Some massive headaches when we are fully fit.

Moylan. Dwz. Mansour. Peachey. Whare. Hiku. Blake. To fit into 5 positions. Moylan may move to 6 and free a spot. Peachey may go back to the bench... but honestly his form at centre you would hope not. Injuries will help team selection next year. It feels like an injustice to leave guys out or move them.

franklin2323

Immortal
If Moylan stays at fullback, where does whare and Hiku come into the team?
Mansour and DWZ are cement and Peachey is a weapon at centre-Found a home.
Blake getting better every game. I do not see how or who or what gets dropped?

Hiku would look great in NSW Cup if Moylan stays FB that is. For me Peachey takes Hardaker's bench spot if TMM is starting 5/8th

franklin2323

Immortal
Good, because on form he is a gun. Hiku would have to be the odd man out, his defence is terrible. Peachy can play lock or second row.

Depending on pre season form

Moylan/Hiku
DWZ
Whare
Blake
Mansour
TMM/Moylan
Cleary

would be my Backline Peachey on the bench if TMM is starting 5/8th. I see whoever has the better pre season out of Hiku and TMM as deciding where Moylan plays. If Hiku doesn't start Fullback I don't see a place in our top 17 for him

tripster

Juniors
Hiku would look great in NSW Cup if Moylan stays FB that is. For me Peachey takes Hardaker's bench spot if TMM is starting 5/8th

I really think Peachey has shown that he is one of the players who you are better served having on the park for 80 minutes, rather than bringing off the bench. His defence at centre has been fantastic, and he has the uncanny ability to turn opportunities into tries. Risk if he is on the bench is that he isn't on the field when one of those opportunities arise.

Anyway, having too many good players for too few positions is a good headache to have.

CCJohnC

Juniors
If we start thinking of Peachey to bench my opinion is that we would lose him to perhaps Souths as has been mentioned on their web site as a possible signing for 2018.

betcats

Referee
Peach and Waqa provide much more strike in the centres than Hiku and Whare imo, I wouldn't be moving either of them from the centres, not even for Whare.

CCJohnC

Juniors
Peach and Waqa provide much more strike in the centres than Hiku and Whare imo, I wouldn't be moving either of them from the centres, not even for Whare.

I agree 100%. Both Hiku & Whare will have to prove their fitness after season ending injuries.

franklin2323

Immortal

People forget how good Whare is. DWZ and Simmons looked far better players outside him

betcats

Referee
Yeah im sure its the lack of Whare and not the punctured lung that has effected Dallin. Dallin looked much better playing FB are we going to credit Whare for that as well? Lol Whare wasn't even fit last year when Dallin played his best footy. I know how good Whare is, but as good as he is Waqa is already scoring tries that Whare couldn't and he cost us much less. Waqa's potential is worth it imo look at his improvement from last year to this year, if he keeps improving he will be a better player than Whare sooner rather than later besides Whare might not ever be the same player anyway, how many games has he played the last two years? We aren't going to lock Waqa up long term if we move him back to reserve grade, given the form he has shown recently ive got no problems moving Whare on for Waqa.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach

Couldn't agree more. Waqa is only going to get better, much better, next season and well I admit I was a doubter in respect of Peachy in the centres but have been well and truly proved wrong. For mine I would be changing our centres next season unless either of Whare or Hiku were in exception form or other injuries in the forwarded demanded Peachy was needed there.

Much as I hate to admit it, Fibroman was right about Peachy being able to more than cover a centre spot. He's not often right but was on this occasion.