What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

superpanther

Juniors
Ware hasn't played all season and both peachy and Blake are doing exceptionally well. Blake has improved immensely since last year ( still does the odd stupid mistake) but he has plenty of potential. I have also been impressed with peachy in the centres. Who would have thought that?

Fibroman

First Grade
Getting schooled by billypilgrimz on Forum etiquette is a bitter pill to swallow.:eek: Kettle. Pot. However, you are right. I'll cop the "sook" remark on the chin, I have already apologised about my "fans" comment. I shouldn't play the man and concentrate on the ball "the argument". I don't get riled up when people have different opinions to mine, but I will always get riled up if I think players are being singled out unfairly. I won't change that stance. If you make statements that can't be supported then your opinion deserves to be criticised.

It would seem nearly everybody in the world, including myself, wants Moylan at 5/8th, except for Hook. We turned the discussion from "Hook should pick Moylan" to Cartwright is useless. I don't see why wanting Moylan at 5/8th, requires people to stick the boot into Cartwright. He has clearly done a good job in difficult circumstances and every bit of data points to that. I'm sure he probably would prefer to be at lock or second row as well.

For the record, I thought Hook should have tried it earlier, but to be fair, DWZ was in awful form and playing without confidence. He dropped that much ball and fell over against the Warriors he would have been mad to put DWZ at fullback. In the last few weeks though DWZ has improved. Hardaker is an unknown quantity in the NRL and in any case has only been here a short while. Hook really didn't have a lot of choice, Smith was awful and is now out injured so he would be looking at bringing in Edwards from u20's into one of the most difficult positions on the field. The band aid is working OK with Moylan sometimes playing 5/8th and sometimes Cartwright playing that role.

It will be fascinating next year if TMM is picked to see what happens because the expression "too many cooks" comes to mind. I'm sure they can work through it, but it will take some time.

I agree mate, we may have the problem of too many cooks next year. Bring back Marty Bella and Marty lang!

Pomoz

Bench
Ware hasn't played all season and both peachy and Blake are doing exceptionally well. Blake has improved immensely since last year ( still does the odd stupid mistake) but he has plenty of potential. I have also been impressed with peachy in the centres. Who would have thought that?
Well, at the moment Peachey dropped the ball and stood watching as it was swooped on by the opposition and turned into a try (Titans game 1 I think), nobody would have picked it. I thought he was a bludger. He missed plenty of tackles as he come to grips with centre and now seems right at home and his running game gets more airtime because we have halves and a fullback (2nd 5/8th) who will give the centres the ball much earlier. Whare must be cursing under his breath. He has dined on scraps for a few seasons and now there is quality ball to be had, he's crocked.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah im sure its the lack of Whare and not the punctured lung that has effected Dallin. Dallin looked much better playing FB are we going to credit Whare for that as well? Lol Whare wasn't even fit last year when Dallin played his best footy. I know how good Whare is, but as good as he is Waqa is already scoring tries that Whare couldn't and he cost us much less. Waqa's potential is worth it imo look at his improvement from last year to this year, if he keeps improving he will be a better player than Whare sooner rather than later besides Whare might not ever be the same player anyway, how many games has he played the last two years? We aren't going to lock Waqa up long term if we move him back to reserve grade, given the form he has shown recently ive got no problems moving Whare on for Waqa.

I would have Whare ans Waqa as our centres next year. When was Dallen in form last year? last year and up until about 4 weeks ago he was in dreadful form

betcats

Referee
When he got a run of games at FB Dallin looked great. I guess a lot depends what you want to do with Peachey but atm you couldn't move him he would be one of the form centres in the comp. Either way its a good problem to have and I love Whare as a player but I just think we are at point with Waqa where we either have to commit or let him go and Peach just seems to have found his spot in the centres.

franklin2323

Immortal
When he got a run of games at FB Dallin looked great. I guess a lot depends what you want to do with Peachey but atm you couldn't move him he would be one of the form centres in the comp. Either way its a good problem to have and I love Whare as a player but I just think we are at point with Waqa where we either have to commit or let him go and Peach just seems to have found his spot in the centres.

Against Newcastle and again last week Peachey made a huge run straight through tired defenders. I think that off the bench is better then leaving Whare or Blake out. It's a great problem to have though

MrBlack

Juniors
Whare offers a lot in defence and not as much in attack.

Peachy has stepped up in defence but has added attack.

We would not lose to much in leaving Peachy there and letting Whare go.

mxlegend99

Referee
Whare sets his winger up nicely. But this year we have been doing that well anyway.

I think for what Whare would cost. We are better off with Blake and Peachey. Hiku is the one I think we could do without. But he's on big money and a several year contract. He won't be going anywhere. So Whare probably needs to be moved on unless he feels he owes us for the past 2 years and will take less to stay.

While Whare is here. You find a way to fit him into the centres as long as he is fit. He's a classy player and a gun defender.

franklin2323

Immortal
While Whare is here. You find a way to fit him into the centres as long as he is fit. He's a classy player and a gun defender.

That's my thoughts exactly. Too good not to be in 1st grade how we fit everyone is the question a great problem most teams would kill for

betcats

Referee
Whare offers a lot in defence and not as much in attack.

Peachy has stepped up in defence but has added attack.

We would not lose to much in leaving Peachy there and letting Whare go.

Yeah that's how I see it. Both Peach and Waqa have some X factor that Whare just doesn't have. With all due respect to Whatre setting up your winger is a skill that can be learned, you cant learn Waqa's athleticism or Peacheys illusiveness and ability to break a tackle. Like I said I love Whare and I would be looking to get him in the side next season but after that I see him as surplus to requirements and if it comes down to leaving one of Peach, Waqa and Whare out then Dean will be left out if it was my choice.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah that's how I see it. Both Peach and Waqa have some X factor that Whare just doesn't have. With all due respect to Whatre setting up your winger is a skill that can be learned, you cant learn Waqa's athleticism or Peacheys illusiveness and ability to break a tackle. Like I said I love Whare and I would be looking to get him in the side next season but after that I see him as surplus to requirements and if it comes down to leaving one of Peach, Waqa and Whare out then Dean will be left out if it was my choice.

you don't think either can do that from another position? like if DWZ goes to FB Balke could play on the wing he's not the player he was last year afterall. It's Whare's defence too and he never has a bad game. Though his best game and worse game aren't that far apart. I think we pick our best 17 and find positions for them after that's been done

betcats

Referee
you don't think either can do that from another position? like if DWZ goes to FB Balke could play on the wing he's not the player he was last year afterall. It's Whare's defence too and he never has a bad game. Though his best game and worse game aren't that far apart. I think we pick our best 17 and find positions for them after that's been done

I got no problem with Blake on the wing for next season tbh. Peachey I dunno, he has never had a run of form like this playing off the bench or in the backrow. He would either be rocks or diamonds one good game followed by a poor one, I really like him as a centre he was hard to contain as a backrower but the extra space and that playing at centre has made him almost impossible to contain for the entire 80 minutes.

franklin2323

Immortal
I got no problem with Blake on the wing for next season tbh. Peachey I dunno, he has never had a run of form like this playing off the bench or in the backrow. He would either be rocks or diamonds one good game followed by a poor one, I really like him as a centre he was hard to contain as a backrower but the extra space and that playing at centre has made him almost impossible to contain for the entire 80 minutes.

That is true. I hope he plays trials in the backrow so we can see if he just developed or found his position. I think a few will play different spots over the trials then sort out our top team after.

mxlegend99

Referee
This side would be worth a look at full strength. Moylan to 6 is the key area to fitting in Whare without dropping Blake or moving Peachey.

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Josh Mansour
3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Dean Whare
5. Waqa Blake
6. Matt Moylan (c)
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Peter Wallace
10. Leilani Latu
11. Isaah Yeo
12. Bryce Cartwright
13. Trent Merrin

14. Chris Grevsmuhl
15. James Fisher-Harris
16. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
17. Te Maire Martin

I wouldn't mind seeing Peta Hiku on the wing. But I think Waqa Blake deserves first crack ahead of him (he's seriously a freak athlete and is starting to realise his potential) and I think it would be crazy to move Tyrone Peachey away from the centres. He will only improve if we leave him to focus on one position. I honestly don't want to move Waqa Blake either... but when it's Dean Whare coming in you try and figure out what the next best position would be for Blake, wing is the only other position I think he could settle into.

Te Maire Martin on the bench. Worst case scenario he offers what Zac Hardaker has. Although I would like us to have him training at 6,7 and 9. With his primary role off the bench being at hooker, but making sure he can still run our plays in the halves if Moylan flops at 6 (unlikely) or if one of those guys gets injured (definitely possible). I want to see if he has what it takes to be our longterm hooker. It would be a magic solution to a few problems if he could develop into our longterm hooker.

There are so many good young forwards. Sitaleki Akouolo looked promising at times. Moses Leota looks a real goer. Villiame Kikau could potentially leapfrog everyone and be one of our best forwards. We also added Tim Browne... who would definitely be an upgrade on McKendry and Latimore. I would rather see TMM get used and hopefully developed to replace Wallace, but I wouldn't be at all upset with a 4 forward bench considering the quality we have. Although I also opted for TMM as we seem happy running with 2 benchies that get 20 minutes between them. TMM is more likely to force Griffin to play him longer minutes.

This is also ignoring the guys who have been an important part of our most dominant Under 20's side yet. There's just so many players I would love to see get a run. You look at the players we have available for next year and it's hard not to be enthusiastic. Most of those guys are going to improve before then aswell considering they're still just kids. I really feel like we should consider anything below a top 4 spot next year as disappointing. There's some serious points in that team.

Hopefully we don't turn into the Warriors of every year where abundant talent doesn't equal success, but I think we have a much better culture here.

Kilkenny

Coach
When picking our side most likely to start in 2017 you may as well accept the fact the preferred option for our spine is going to be Moylan, TMM, Cleary & Wallace.

Moylan is going to be in the fullback position with TMM at 5/8 assuming he is fit and has no injury issues.

That is just the way it is going to be so your sides with Moylan at 5/8 are probably pointless simply because it is not the preferred option of our coach and those who support him including Gould (despite the fact he is a pains to point out he has no input into team selections) Gould has made it clear time and time again he sees Moylan as a number 1.

Pomoz

Bench
I get why Gus sees it that way. Moylan has a weakness at returning the ball. We have two tanks on the wings who more than compensate for his weakness at returning the ball. TMM has the potential to be a superstar and we can have a team with Cleary, TMM and Moylan ball playing both sides of the ruck. TMM is super quick over 40 and has a great running game, so he can hit gaps and use his footwork when Moylan is ball playing. Throw in Cartwright and you have the equivalent of Melbourne's big 4 (Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis). Four genuine footy players who can create tries and line breaks. Why mess it up by moving Moylan when he can play at 5/8th in attack anyway when it suits him. Moylan will just need to work with TMM to make sure they don't get in each others way.

If TMM lives up to the potential he showed before he was injured and we can keep these players with the salary cap, that spine could make a dynasty. Hooker is the last mystery piece, because Wallace ain't getting any younger. With that much ball playing skill in the team, we don't need a superstar hooker, just somebody who will provide sound defence and good clean ball.

I get why Gus sees it that way. Moylan has a weakness at returning the ball. We have two tanks on the wings who more than compensate for his weakness at returning the ball. TMM has the potential to be a superstar and we can have a team with Cleary, TMM and Moylan ball playing both sides of the ruck. TMM is super quick over 40 and has a great running game, so he can hit gaps and use his footwork when Moylan is ball playing. Throw in Cartwright and you have the equivalent of Melbourne's big 4 (Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis). Four genuine footy players who can create tries and line breaks. Why mess it up by moving Moylan when he can play at 5/8th in attack anyway when it suits him. Moylan will just need to work with TMM to make sure they don't get in each others way.

If TMM lives up to the potential he showed before he was injured and we can keep these players with the salary cap, that spine could make a dynasty. Hooker is the last mystery piece, because Wallace ain't getting any younger. With that much ball playing skill in the team, we don't need a superstar hooker, just somebody who will provide sound defence and good clean ball.

Is Mitch Rein much good?

betcats

Referee

Moylan is one of the classiest ball players in the comp, do we really want to be taking touches away from him for a rookie? The more involved Moylan is the better we do, Seriously TMM has great potential and in a few years he may be a better player than Moylan but it's a big maybe.

Latest posts