What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

maple_69

Bench
When he got a run of games at FB Dallin looked great. I guess a lot depends what you want to do with Peachey but atm you couldn't move him he would be one of the form centres in the comp. Either way its a good problem to have and I love Whare as a player but I just think we are at point with Waqa where we either have to commit or let him go and Peach just seems to have found his spot in the centres.

I don't know about that. Could you just teach a player the timing, play reading, instincts, sleight of hand/body language and execution of skill that Moylan uses to set up so many opportunities? What Whare has is not as obviously freakish as Blake/Peachey, because he makes the smart decisions and makes them look easy. Until his injuries, he had been arguably the best centre in the world over the previous 3 years. He's a pure, smart footballer and you can't replace that. Peachey has great hands and instincts as well, but I think our right side has less finesse, Blake is a power/agility threat. It just really depends what Griffin thinks we need out there. I think Whare is a must select, but could understand us going with the other guys if we're just looking for pure strike power.

Pomoz

Bench
People on bigger pay than us can resolve where TMM/Edwards/Luke figure in the scheme of things. I love it that we have the problem in the first place.

In our wildest dreams, a few years ago, no Panther fan would think we would have too many good players and not enough spots. We were still marvelling at Luke Walsh's hospital passes to Matty Bell and Burns capacity to start a fight in an empty room. What with Waterhouse and Grant giving away more penalties than a centre back marking Messi at the Nou Camp and Purtell running down the wing slower than peak hour traffic on Parramatta road, we were more focused on whether it was us, the Knights or Parramatta who got the spoon. Too many players not enough spots? "Tell him he's dreaming son".........

betcats

Referee
I don't know about that. Could you just teach a player the timing, play reading, instincts, sleight of hand/body language and execution of skill that Moylan uses to set up so many opportunities? What Whare has is not as obviously freakish as Blake/Peachey, because he makes the smart decisions and makes them look easy. Until his injuries, he had been arguably the best centre in the world over the previous 3 years. He's a pure, smart footballer and you can't replace that. Peachey has great hands and instincts as well, but I think our right side has less finesse, Blake is a power/agility threat. It just really depends what Griffin thinks we need out there. I think Whare is a must select, but could understand us going with the other guys if we're just looking for pure strike power.

You kind of answered it yourself, its not the same thing, I don't think what Moylan has can be learnt to any degree of success.. There is obviously instincts and natural talent involved in what Whare does but you can learn how to set position a winger to score, maybe not to the level that Whare does it but it can absolutely be coached, its just positioning and timing the pass once the defence commits.Whare at 21 did not posses the same ability to set up his man as he does now, it improved with hard work and experience. If we want Waqa to develop these abilities he needs experience, he is coming along in leaps and bounds as it is, he is too good for reserve grade now, so is Whare I know he wont be dropped but we've been all about rebuilding for the long term and Waqa seems a lot more likely to be part of that future beyond next season. Given that Whare has had two serious leg injuries the last two years and the improvement we have seen in Waqa there is a chance the gap between them wont be as big as some think.

ACTPanthers

Bench
People on bigger pay than us can resolve where TMM/Edwards/Luke figure in the scheme of things. I love it that we have the problem in the first place.

In our wildest dreams, a few years ago, no Panther fan would think we would have too many good players and not enough spots. We were still marvelling at Luke Walsh's hospital passes to Matty Bell and Burns capacity to start a fight in an empty room. What with Waterhouse and Grant giving away more penalties than a centre back marking Messi at the Nou Camp and Purtell running down the wing slower than peak hour traffic on Parramatta road, we were more focused on whether it was us, the Knights or Parramatta who got the spoon. Too many players not enough spots? "Tell him he's dreaming son".........

Ha ha Burns.... So tiny but with so much anger

franklin2323

Immortal
I get why Gus sees it that way. Moylan has a weakness at returning the ball. We have two tanks on the wings who more than compensate for his weakness at returning the ball. TMM has the potential to be a superstar and we can have a team with Cleary, TMM and Moylan ball playing both sides of the ruck. TMM is super quick over 40 and has a great running game, so he can hit gaps and use his footwork when Moylan is ball playing. Throw in Cartwright and you have the equivalent of Melbourne's big 4 (Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis). Four genuine footy players who can create tries and line breaks. Why mess it up by moving Moylan when he can play at 5/8th in attack anyway when it suits him. Moylan will just need to work with TMM to make sure they don't get in each others way.

If TMM lives up to the potential he showed before he was injured and we can keep these players with the salary cap, that spine could make a dynasty. Hooker is the last mystery piece, because Wallace ain't getting any younger. With that much ball playing skill in the team, we don't need a superstar hooker, just somebody who will provide sound defence and good clean ball.

Despite Moylan being terrible at running the ball back. imo we are atleast top 3 for how well we start our sets off so not enough for me not to pick him. We have 2 international backs to fit in so I can see my he maybe moved.

The pre season will sort it out as to whether TMM offers more then say DWZ or Hiku at the back. Neither option is a hopeless one.I hope we train a few guys in different roles so we have a plan B, C and D if form or injuries hit.

Like Kilkenny I think TMM at 6 is the early favourite. I think this year has shown us to rule nothing out

betcats

Referee
If we didn't have Moylan I would be stoked to have Cleary/TMM as our halves, its a great combo for the future. Normally I would say having two halves that young is asking for trouble but after watching Cleary its obvious he isn't your typical rookie halfback. But I think there is no doubt Cleary/Moylan is a better pairing than Cleary/TMM. Between Dallin, Hiku and Edwards we have some pretty good guys who can replace Moylan at the back, it just seems so obvious to me. Bring TMM off the bench and let him develop that way.

franklin2323

Immortal
If we didn't have Moylan I would be stoked to have Cleary/TMM as our halves, its a great combo for the future. Normally I would say having two halves that young is asking for trouble but after watching Cleary its obvious he isn't your typical rookie halfback. But I think there is no doubt Cleary/Moylan is a better pairing than Cleary/TMM. Between Dallin, Hiku and Edwards we have some pretty good guys who can replace Moylan at the back, it just seems so obvious to me. Bring TMM off the bench and let him develop that way.

for me we still get 2 Try assists a game from Moylan. We move him to halves we need to find that. Whether having DWZ running off offloads is enough is the question I have. Pre season to sort that out

betcats

Referee
I can see what you are saying but I don't think we do have to find it, Moylan still gets the same touches he is getting now if not more, Bryce in the back row will have a license to attack and if you have a FB that can break a tackle like Dallin and tell him to stick to Bryce and our big offloaders like glue and it would have to be worth a linebreak a game atleast. How often do our forwards get the arm free and there's no one in support? Whens the last time Moylan ran onto an offload like the Hayne linebreak the other weak? We are the best offloading team in the comp I think a good supporting FB would add a fair bit. Add someone like TMM, Luke or Edwards off the bench bringing some spark rather than Hardaker not really adding anything and we have more than enough points of attack. Anyway its another one of those good problems I guess.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can see what you are saying but I don't think we do have to find it, Moylan still gets the same touches he is getting now if not more, Bryce in the back row will have a license to attack and if you have a FB that can break a tackle like Dallin and tell him to stick to Bryce and our big offloaders like glue and it would have to be worth a linebreak a game atleast. How often do our forwards get the arm free and there's no one in support? Whens the last time Moylan ran onto an offload like the Hayne linebreak the other weak? We are the best offloading team in the comp I think a good supporting FB would add a fair bit. Add someone like TMM, Luke or Edwards off the bench bringing some spark rather than Hardaker not really adding anything and we have more than enough points of attack. Anyway its another one of those good problems I guess.

We struggle if we are inside the 20 on the attack. Outside the 20 and unstructured we are great. we need to fix the on the line attack it may be DWZ coming across the play on speed does it. Still great problem to have

maple_69

Bench
I think the general sentiment has swung from 'why the f*ck isn't Moylan at 5/8' to 'you could go either way depending on what Martin/DWZ/Hiki/Edwards show in preseason'. I think a lot of that is due to Moylan finding form. He's been safe as houses, has been saving some tries and is finding his running game a bit more. My opinion is he has improvement left there if he can concentrate on it when we have a traditional five eighth.

I'm not going to be fussed either way next year as all options have a lot of merit. If we do run Martin at five eighth, I hope we see him take on a somewhat untraditional role of doing a lot of running and supporting. I think we can interchange Moylan and Martin in terms of their roles in attack. If Moylan is conducting a play, Martin can play fullback in attack that play and be that supporting player and dangerous ball runner we need. Maybe it's complicating it but if the side can get it right, the defence will have no idea what's coming at them because we have 5 guys who can jump into the halves and can also run effectively.

I also think we really need to keep a spot on the bench for Katoa/Luke/ZDC, whoever we view as our potential next hooker. So I'd be cautious of giving that spot to Martin.

betcats

Referee
I think it just got to late to change it even we could see that plus Moylan is playing 5/8th in attack now anyway. I am still wondering why the f**k we bothered moving Bryce there weeks ago, I will never get that. We have looked best this season with Matty playing 5/8th and Cartwright running the ball more but anyway Ive flogged that horse to death twice now.

pandas

Juniors
Morgan and Milford are amazing players but I believe Moylan is the best of the lot and will be the Kangaroos 6 when JT hangs up the boots

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It's kind of funny; everyone in this thread is right in their own way. Moylan IS playing as a half, and killing it, but he is doing it with the 1 on his back, opening up another spot for a playmaker. And it's working.

So....shall we call it a draw? And good for Griffin, by the way.

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan is simply the best ball player at the club. He creates space for people and delivers passes at the perfect time.

We have been hammered with soft penalties. Sea Eagles have gotten away with slowing the speed down. Yet we are up 30 nil.

Cartwright had a great try saver in that first half. Scored a nice try running off Moylan. Blake and DWZ are big. Fast. Powerful and starting to combine well. Not quiet at BJ and Rapana level. But its nice to see them backing themselves now. Still only kids.

Latest posts