What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

taipan

Referee
Those 3 should move full time to Moore Park when it is open and compete for the Roosters area and all the rich Eastern Suburbs folk.

You'd lose a fair percentage of their supporters Dragons and Sharks.Especially with the crumby scheduling that exists .Wouldn't work anyway. Souths/Dragons/Sahrks/Waratahs/Sydny FC regularly playing out of the one stadium in winter..

T-Boon

Coach
You'd lose a fair percentage of their supporters Dragons and Sharks.Especially with the crumby scheduling that exists .Wouldn't work anyway. Souths/Dragons/Sahrks/Waratahs/Sydny FC regularly playing out of the one stadium in winter..

Fans that will quit on their team because they move 30kms rather play out of a pig-sty can GFT'selves and find another sport.

taipan

Referee
Fans that will quit on their team because they move 30kms rather play out of a pig-sty can GFT'selves and find another sport.

A question of priorities, family or game.
Fans of those clubs that have families and take nearly 1 hr to get home from the city ,and another hour to get to the game, with weeknights, 6pm games on Friday.Try it.If you don't want families involved ,by all means.
7-50pm Thursday finishes say 9-50pm, then 50 minutes minimum to get home
7-55pm Frday ditto.

But the Dragons base goes down to Wollongong and the Shark's home Heathcote boundary. I've been a fan for yonks,but family comes first.
With families you can do it when the stadiums are in your area or nearby.
If the clubs themselves think it was a goer, they would all want the SFS.They may well have one or two games there anyway.They have a fair idea of what their fans' preferences are.

MugaB

Coach
Realistically only need souths playing there at moore park, PVL already had plans with government to built one of the 4 mini bankwest style stadiums in around kogarah, aswell as sharks owning there own stadium, becomes a moot point having 3-4 clubs at moore park, currently should only be south and easts there, parra at bankwest, and half wests and dogs at liverpool, manly at brookvale and panthers at penrith

T-Boon

Coach
A question of priorities, family or game.
Fans of those clubs that have families and take nearly 1 hr to get home from the city ,and another hour to get to the game, with weeknights, 6pm games on Friday.Try it.If you don't want families involved ,by all means.
7-50pm Thursday finishes say 9-50pm, then 50 minutes minimum to get home
7-55pm Frday ditto.

But the Dragons base goes down to Wollongong and the Shark's home Heathcote boundary. I've been a fan for yonks,but family comes first.
With families you can do it when the stadiums are in your area or nearby.
If the clubs themselves think it was a goer, they would all want the SFS.They may well have one or two games there anyway.They have a fair idea of what their fans' preferences are.

Families are too tight to go to games in big numbers anyway and they bitch and moan about everything from travel to price of food.
The NRL needs to pitch more to individuals. Young people. Business men. Groups of men.
Still try to get families by offering cheap deals and what not, but don't focus so much on them to the exclusion of students and young people etc.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Realistically only need souths playing there at moore park, PVL already had plans with government to built one of the 4 mini bankwest style stadiums in around kogarah, aswell as sharks owning there own stadium, becomes a moot point having 3-4 clubs at moore park, currently should only be south and easts there, parra at bankwest, and half wests and dogs at liverpool, manly at brookvale and panthers at penrith

I actually hope that never happens. I'd rather my tax dollars go somewhere other than lazy rugby league fans and clubs.

Why can't we expand into SA and WA and get some of those people who have had their feathers ruffled by the AFL onboard? We apparently always have to play defence, why can't we get them playing defence too?
I get the impression the ARLC has been run as a boys club over the last decade. God knows how many useless positions were created at head office to give jobs to the boys under Smith and Greenberg. The money that was wasted on that could have been spent on expansion.

If it wasn't for COVID-19 there would still be people sitting around head office getting paid big bucks to do nothing. The fat cats at HQ were never going to sack themselves to free up money for expansion.

Because Colin Smith said so :sweat_smile:
He did work with the NRL during broadcast negotiations, so that could be partially right.

I could be wrong, but I reckon most of it comes down to fat cats at HQ using the money to feather their nests, then saying there's no money for expansion. The 16 NRL clubs and the RLPA are partly responsible too, as they will always argue for the lion's share of the cash reserves to go to them. If a CEO objects to the demands then they band together to have him sacked.

Pretty sure the Brisbane Easts logo is identical to the old Balmain one. It's an interesting suggestion to revert the JV to Magpies.. but to be honest, it more accurately reflects the reality of the situation now that Wests pretty much dominates it.

Not sure if the rebranded Magpies should move to Perth, though.. I liked the idea of a Magpies/Bulldogs JV that was explored way back in the late 1990s. It'd unlock the west/southwest.. and allow for another expansion team to be added.

So perhaps...
Add Brisbane Tigers. Revert Wests to Magpies & do a JV with Bulldogs, add Perth (Pirates) and Adelaide or NZ2.
Easts adopted the Balmain logo in the late 90s.

Western Sydney Bulldogs has a good ring to it. Black, white and blue would be a good match, or just black and white.

Pirates is a decent brand. I worry about the risks that come with starting a new brand in enemy territory. It won't have any fans in the heartland and will face the wrath of the pro-AwFuL Perth media. A relocated Sydney team that plays just six games in Perth can always rely on its established supporter base to keep it afloat while it develops a new one in Perth.

flippikat

Bench
Easts adopted the Balmain logo in the late 90s.

Western Sydney Bulldogs has a good ring to it. Black, white and blue would be a good match, or just black and white.

West Sydney Bulldogs in black & blue would have been perfect if it formed in the late 1990s.
I always envisioned that JV in something like the Wanganui provincial rugby union jersey, with white in the stripes.

images

West Sydney Bulldogs in black & blue would have been perfect if it formed in the late 1990s.
I always envisioned that JV in something like the Wanganui provincial rugby union jersey, with white in the stripes.

images
Wests and Canterbury are just making up the numbers these days. Merging could help them become a powerhouse on and off the field.

taipan

Referee
Families are too tight to go to games in big numbers anyway and they bitch and moan about everything from travel to price of food.
The NRL needs to pitch more to individuals. Young people. Business men. Groups of men.
Still try to get families by offering cheap deals and what not, but don't focus so much on them to the exclusion of students and young people etc.

Mate I see plenty of families at Sharks' games.Young guys ,students no doubt,p*ss heads, single women.That's the way it should be.
Lose the families and your numbers drop substantially.
Anycase if V'Lad gets his way and there are 4 boutique stadiums close to these clubs, not a problem.

Rugby league is a game for everyone.If you are pitching it just to adult males, you may as well give yourself a hyphenated surname and watch union.And spend most of the time ,discussing what's the best shares to buy.

T-Boon

Coach
Mate I see plenty of families at Sharks' games.Young guys ,students no doubt,p*ss heads, single women.That's the way it should be.
Lose the families and your numbers drop substantially.
Anycase if V'Lad gets his way and there are 4 boutique stadiums close to these clubs, not a problem.

If it is Kogarah that gets upgraded and the Sharks think about moving there out of common sense you will throw down the same card you always threaten. You are basically not a very dedicated fan. Unlike me who travels 150kms to watch his team play 4 times a year.

taipan

Referee
If it is Kogarah that gets upgraded and the Sharks think about moving there out of common sense you will throw down the same card you always threaten. You are basically not a very dedicated fan. Unlike me who travels 150kms to watch his team play 4 times a year.

OK I will answer your challenge. which will not go unresponded. Shouldn't have to but you opened a hornet's nest.
For a start I'v e been following the Sharks for decades, during which time they nearly went broke on 3 occasions.Every home game mate,I;d suggest well ebfeore you sucked up your first oxygen..

I put in $200 of my own cash and (I ATT was hardly loaded )many years ago to help them, they put up plaques on a wall for people who donated. I've been a member(season ticket holder) for the vast majority of those decades.I've sat in the old Burns Stand when it's been p*ssing down rain and blowing gales with my daughter ,then my father -in-law.
For years I paid the season seating for my father in law as a present.

I've spend a fortune on merchandise year after year.I have taken my family time after time to the Leagues club bistro when it was new and run down, to help.

The team has its own ground, owned by them.The commonsense approach would be for the Govt to spend on that ground, with a fair amount of infrastructure in place ,but it won't happen.The club has a much better opportunity to make itself financially strong at Shark Park(no rent for starters),than Jubilee.
My suggestion would be:-
Wollongong new stadium
Brookvale new stadium
Liverpool new stadium
Campbelltown new stadium
Let the Sharks develop their own

To suggest I'm not a dedicated fan ,is like me suggesting to you driving 150kms is nothing. It's insulting and utter tosh to put it broadly.I applaud people who travel long distances, but I have family to consider.And getting 4 people to watch a game is I suggest better , than getting only one(namely me).

Oh and I have continued to go week after week even when they were hopeless or way down the ladder.

greenBV4

Bench
Anyone with a subscription post full story please?

MOVE SHARKS OR MANLY: QRL, V’LANDYS AT ODDS OVER
Queensland powerbrokers have urged ARLC boss Peter V’landys to reconsider expansion plans, with the QRL calling for a Sydney team to move to the sunshine state instead of creating a new franchise.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CMWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2020-peter-vlandys-still-wants-expansion-for-second-brisbane-team/news-story/30efb541092c9210f0b3c01abaf56d24&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=97-B
Brisbane Eagles sounds nice enough, already in QLD colours, add a bit of blue for variation to the broncos

reanimate

Bench
Anyone with a subscription post full story please?

MOVE SHARKS OR MANLY: QRL, V’LANDYS AT ODDS OVER
Queensland powerbrokers have urged ARLC boss Peter V’landys to reconsider expansion plans, with the QRL calling for a Sydney team to move to the sunshine state instead of creating a new franchise.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CMWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2020-peter-vlandys-still-wants-expansion-for-second-brisbane-team/news-story/30efb541092c9210f0b3c01abaf56d24&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=97-B
Can’t read it either but I bet it’s us that gets moved. There’ll be 6 teams between the Eastern Suburbs and Parramatta, then the Sharks in the middle of Dragons territory, Penrith on the outer next door to Parra and absolutely nothing north of the Harbour Bridge. That’s the sort of total genius move (I.e. it’s just flat out stupid) that the NRL would go for.

taipan

Referee
Good luck Bruce.
If I were Bruce before worrying about Sydney teams relocating, and ( I admit he is a well educated Accountant and Businessman),I would be first looking at the lack of competitive depth in the Qld NRL teams.Ask myself why in a state where rugby league is king, this is so.
It's not a good look, and fumble ball is chipping away with a G/F there.

Then ask myself if we had our teams way up the ladder, we would be in a much better position to dictate a Sydney team relocate.
I understand where he is coming from (being a Chartered Accountant)re finances down the line in uncertain times, but he should realise that relocating any Sydney team whilst they are financially able to continue is fraught with danger ,as Sydney has already had cuts and mergers of clubs.It's not as if sacrifices have not already been made, so technically whilst relocating may be called expanding, it's actually shrinking your main homeland base.
If a club cannot continue financially,different story.

Sydney fans from my observation, and it's fair to suggest general observations, are club aligned first, game aligned a lot further down .V'landys playing in the Illawarra comp, realises the tribal preference.Hatcher does not it appears.

The cuts and mergers,meaning reductions in Sydney clubs, has had little effect overall particularly in TV ratings and for some clubs their averages haven't received huge number increases.
The much maligned CEOs prior Gallop/Smith/Greenberg were hardly pro relocation, they operated in Sydney,Hatcher does not.

I'd be aiming for 18 teams Brisbane 2 and Perth.