What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

MugaB

Coach
Perth needs a Sydney team to take 6 games a year there (Western Panthers) and they need to turn out in big numbers and convince that team to relocate full time.
Sorry but thats total BS, if you want a team to branch out to cover half their home games in perth, choose a team that doesn't have the crowd numbers, im thinking roosters fit that better than panthers easily

T-Boon

Coach
Sorry but thats total BS, if you want a team to branch out to cover half their home games in perth, choose a team that doesn't have the crowd numbers, im thinking roosters fit that better than panthers easily

I just like the ring of Western Panthers. I would support that team. 6 games Perth, 6 games western Sydney plus the sydney away games.

I am not against Adelaide and Perth having teams, I just think it would be detrimental to the game if a new licence was reseved for them. We all know that heartland areas like Brisbane and NZ aren't going to accept a relocated team from Sydney. Too much history and rivalry between the areas for it to work. Adelaide and Perth don't have any history or rivalry with Sydney, at least not in RL.

Nine teams in Sydney works now, but there may come a time in the future where the economics and inroads from other sports drives one or two of them out of business, or limits their potential to compete with the other Sydney clubs.

I think the Tigers could benefit from teaming up with Perth. They're already a merged entity, albeit with one side of the merger almost dead. Keep the strong side (Western Suburbs) and ditch the weak arm (Balmain). Replace the Balmain side of the merger with a Perth consortium. Make it 50:50. Team could be the Western Tigers or Western Australia Magpies. Using the black and white colours of Wests would help the club stand out from the other sports teams in Perth. Six games in Perth. If it's a huge success bump the number of games in Perth to 8 or 10, with a deal for members in Sydney to have seats reserved for them when the team plays 'away' to the other Sydney clubs at West Sydney Stadium, SFS, Stadium Australia. There's less risk in this strategy than starting a team from scratch in Perth.

You have to earn that, which you can do via my suggestion.
Don't forget Perth has had its chances with both League and Union teams and failed.
Perth needs to do some heavy lifting and earn the privilege's. This isn't mothers day. We don't get sometin fo nuttin just cause we special.
AwFuL has ruffled a lot of feathers in their heartland by favouring Queensland and NSW. The last thing the ARLC can afford to do is get true blue RL fans in Queensland and NSW offside while AwFuL is lurking around trying to win them over. We saw how much damage was caused during the Super League War. AwFuL benefited nicely from that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to earn that, which you can do via my suggestion.
Don't forget Perth has had its chances with both League and Union teams and failed.
Perth needs to do some heavy lifting and earn the privilege's. This isn't mothers day. We don't get sometin fo nuttin just cause we special.

a fly in fly out team isnt going to appeal to rl fans in perth. Earn? It’s not kidrgearten where if you’re a good boy you get extra playtime lol.
We’ve sold out hbf 5 times, We’ve got 39k to a double header, we’ve sold out origin, we’ve sold out a test match, we’re done trying to “prove” there’s interest in rl in the west!

mongoose

Coach
AwFuL has ruffled a lot of feathers in their heartland by favouring Queensland and NSW. The last thing the ARLC can afford to do is get true blue RL fans in Queensland and NSW offside while AwFuL is lurking around trying to win them over. We saw how much damage was caused during the Super League War. AwFuL benefited nicely from that.

ahh Rugby League, where all its fans might suddenly jump ship and become AFL supporters... what a bunch of fickle pussies most RL fans are. If the Raiders got kicked out, I wouldn't start following AFL and ignoring League but then I'm not a f**king sook like most people from Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ahh Rugby League, where all its fans might suddenly jump ship and become AFL supporters... what a bunch of fickle pussies most RL fans are. If the Raiders got kicked out, I wouldn't start following AFL and ignoring League but then I'm not a f**king sook like most people from Sydney.

same here, after twenty years and with no local team to go to I still follow rugby league and not afl despite it being the number one sport and being bit of an outcast not following it! If you switch to another code you really aren’t a fan of rugby league, just a team you followed.

They'd be far better off going to either Toowoomba or Geelong, before Perth..
Actually i remember before the Reds were named, Perth were to be the Pumas
If they teamed up with the Wests Panthers to become the West Brisbane Panthers then it has a very small chance, but they would have to adopt the red and black of Wests to appeal to the locals. The NSW/QLD rivalry would probably be its undoing.

I cannot see the Panthers going anywhere. If anyone goes to Perth it should be the Tigers.

MugaB

Coach
If they teamed up with the Wests Panthers to become the West Brisbane Panthers then it has a very small chance, but they would have to adopt the red and black of Wests to appeal to the locals. The NSW/QLD rivalry would probably be its undoing.

I cannot see the Panthers going anywhere. If anyone goes to Perth it should be the Tigers.
If panthers did move to brisbane wests, fatty vautin would have to be captain/coach
Tehe

If panthers did move to brisbane wests, fatty vautin would have to be captain/coach
Tehe
It would be funny if Wests Tigers merged with Easts Tigers to become the East Brisbane Tigers or East Coast Tigers, and Penrith went with Wests Panthers to become Western Brisbane Panthers or Western Panthers. Tigers could market themselves to all of Redland and Logan, plus Easts territory in Brisbane. Panthers could market themselves to Ipswich, Scenic Rim and Toowoomba, plus Wests territory in Brisbane. The Broncos would be stuck in between.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yet apparently all people from the “AFL states” are such baked on supporters of the AFL that there’s no point in trying to expand to them.

Shows you how little faith some people have in the sport.

greenBV4

Bench
Feathers aren't as ruffled as the media would have you beileve

overheard a conversations at IGA yesterday -
"what do you think of the GF going to the gabba?"
"I'm fine with it really, it obviously can't be here"
"Yeah same, I think we owe it to qld anyway for taking on all the games and helping out"

I think you would find that is the sentiment of the majority of people in the AFL's heartland

The Great Dane

First Grade
Feathers aren't as ruffled as the media would have you beileve

overheard a conversations at IGA yesterday -
"what do you think of the GF going to the gabba?"
"I'm fine with it really, it obviously can't be here"
"Yeah same, I think we owe it to qld anyway for taking on all the games and helping out"

I think you would find that is the sentiment of the majority of people in the AFL's heartland
I don’t know, a lot of people in WA and SA seemed genuinely peeved that they missed out when they have better records on Covid and are “heartlands”.

Nah, == "get rid of the boncos"
Isnt that your namesake?
I'd love to see the Broncos booted out. They've done more to hurt the game than any other club.

I was watching some news clips from 1988 on YouTube. The Donkeys kept trying to advertise their sponsor Powers in ways that were against the rules, similar to how Phil Gould held a press conference with a fridge full of Oak milk in front of the Telstra logo. Broncos thought they were too big to follow the rules from day 1.