What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

Santino Patane

Juniors
I live right up the road from the Wynnum-Manly Leagues Club, if I am going to either Burleigh, Tweed Heads (that's not even in QLD, let alone Brisbane) or the Gold Coast.. it's gonna wanna be for a f**kin' good reason because it's about a 40 minute drive each way (with favourable traffic).

I would be genuinely stunned if Wynnum wasn't always going to be a Bronco's feeder club. Some of the all-time great Broncos have come through Wynnum.
Give Red a break mate- he’s just going off a map and doesn’t know the intricacies of Brisbane’s regions. The bayside is definitely Broncos heartland and will always be. It will be interesting to see how far into Brisbane the Dolphins will gain support, but I can’t see much happening the further south you go. The Titans have Logan firmly in their sites and have a few plans up their sleeve to embed there but know their boundaries will stop at Springwood.

johnny plath

Juniors
I think its more at the moment

Cowboys=
Cutters
Blackhawks
Pride

Dolphins=
Redcliffe
Norths
Capras

Broncos=
Ipswich
Souths logan
Wynumm Manly

Titans=
Burleigh
Tweed
Northern rivers (nsw)

Storm=
Easts
Falcons

Maybe PNG???
North's are a broncos feeder and pretty close to red Hill (15 mins) and traditional rival to Redcliffe so not sure they will become a feeder to the dolphins

Colk

First Grade
Which is why I want the Firehawks to enter as the 18th team. Time to take the fight to News Ltd.

In terms of adding another Brisbane side? It might be taking the fight to News Ltd but it’s not taking the fight to anybody else.

Seriously though with the competition as it is now they need to fix a few other things first before they at least before they add an 18th; if not the Dolphins

In terms of adding another Brisbane side? It might be taking the fight to News Ltd but it’s not taking the fight to anybody else.

Seriously though with the competition as it is now they need to fix a few other things first before they at least before they add an 18th; if not the Dolphins
A third team in Brisbane will pretty much solidify Brisbane as a dyed in the wool rugby league city and bring money into the game that no one else can provide. The extra derbies with the other Queensland clubs will draw crowds of 40k to 50k at Lang Park and generate more buzz around the city, which is the best way of drowning out the fumbleball ambassadors within the media. TV ratings will go through the roof. The RLPA will love the money it brings into the game and the ARLC will be comforted by the financial security provided by Easts Leagues. NZ2 and Perth do not offer any of these advantages, which is why they're best served entering when all of this COVID-19 lockdown has gone away.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A third team in Brisbane will pretty much solidify Brisbane as a dyed in the wool rugby league city and bring money into the game that no one else can provide. The extra derbies with the other Queensland clubs will draw crowds of 40k to 50k at Lang Park and generate more buzz around the city, which is the best way of drowning out the fumbleball ambassadors within the media. TV ratings will go through the roof. The RLPA will love the money it brings into the game and the ARLC will be comforted by the financial security provided by Easts Leagues. NZ2 and Perth do not offer any of these advantages, which is why they're best served entering when all of this COVID-19 lockdown has gone away.
A city of 3mill shouldnt need more than two top flight teams to hold its own. I want to see two massive broncos like clubs, not the broncos and two struggling outer rim teams. With a finite number of nrl spots adding a third team into brisbane is nonsense until we have covered other major markets that are currently unserviced.

A city of 3mill shouldnt need more than two top flight teams to hold its own. I want to see two massive broncos like clubs, not the broncos and two struggling outer rim teams. With a finite number of nrl spots adding a third team into brisbane is nonsense until we have covered other major markets that are currently unserviced.
Perth definitely needs and deserves a team. It's almost as big as Brisbane and is a really beautiful city. COVID-19 is probably the biggest impediment to Perth and NZ2 at this time and could help Bris 3 get in ahead of them, as it would be less costly should the competition be forced to relocate again to SEQ.

flippikat

Bench
Perth definitely needs and deserves a team. It's almost as big as Brisbane and is a really beautiful city. COVID-19 is probably the biggest impediment to Perth and NZ2 at this time and could help Bris 3 get in ahead of them, as it would be less costly should the competition be forced to relocate again to SEQ.
To be fair - by the time the NRL get serious about the 18th team, Covid will be well "in retreat".. if not totally in the rear-view mirror.

With vaccine rates getting up to 90%-plus double dosed, even the stringent Governments of NZ & WA will be opening up in the first quarter of 2022, Q2 at latest.. and I can't see the NRL really crunching any business cases for team 18 in a hurry, as they'll be busy enough getting the Dolphins on-board for the next year and a bit.

Isn't the earliest opportunity to add team 18 2028 anyway (due to TV contracts)? That would mean a decision could be as late as 2025-26.

Idris 84

Juniors
Perth isn't a bad idea but who is going to want to play there and travel over 8 hours on a plane every second week to the east coast. Talk about draining. Barely any of their players will be from w.a either, so there isn't even the playing in your home town pull to attract players.

Colk

First Grade
Perth isn't a bad idea but who is going to want to play there and travel over 8 hours on a plane every second week to the east coast. Talk about draining. Barely any of their players will be from w.a either, so there isn't even the playing in your home town pull to attract players.

I don’t really get that as an argument. Perth is in ever sporting competition in Australia and I’m sure they are not just full of WA locals. The game makes so many excuses not to have a national competition

Idris 84

Juniors
I don’t really get that as an argument. Perth is in ever sporting competition in Australia and I’m sure they are not just full of WA locals. The game makes so many excuses not to have a national competition

I personally think they will struggle for this reason. No top end talent will wanna play there if they have the choice of 17 other clubs on the east coast.

Colk

First Grade
I personally think they will struggle for this reason. No top end talent will wanna play there if they have the choice of 17 other clubs on the east coast.

The Western Reds seemed to get a few good players back in the day. I think money is the most important factor in any case. Have a look at the last couple of years. Almost exclusively the top of the tree has been filled with clubs with the most money

Perth Red

Post Whore
we had no problem in 1995 singing a decent start up team and the country seemed a much bigger place back then. Perth is a great city to live with high quality of living without the pressures of being an nrl player in brisbane or sydney.
sure travel is a pain bit as calk said every professional sport has at least one team in perth and doesn’t have issues Signing players. Why would nrl be any different?

Idris 84

Juniors
No local players, no second team in the state to allow for an extra week not having to travel, no adelaide teams for a lesser flight time occasionally. My friend in perth told me a lot of the non western australian afl players leave after a few years fed up with the travel and so now the clubs mostly only draft w.a born players. Not sure if it's right or not but there will be next to no local players to choose from for a perth nrl site.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No local players, no second team in the state to allow for an extra week not having to travel, no adelaide teams for a lesser flight time occasionally. My friend in perth told me a lot of the non western australian afl players leave after a few years fed up with the travel and so now the clubs mostly only draft w.a born players. Not sure if it's right or not but there will be next to no local players to choose from for a perth nrl site.
There’s about 20 WA players currently in second tier and nrl squads, starting point will be to bring them home. Then raid SL. Then We’ll have to pay abit more to get top talent here (same as any new team look at what dolphins are offering for marquees), then we’ll need good scouting to pick up some players with potential who might not be in line for starting 17. Like I said we managed it in 95 so no reason to think it can’t be done again.
longer term a link up with a east coast secod tier club like Storm have done will help whilst we continue to build the WA talent pool.

perth to Sydney is only half hour more than Auckland to Sydney, without the international hassle at the airport. in 2016 I flew it 38 times for work in 10 months. It’s no great hardship.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Western Reds seemed to get a few good players back in the day. I think money is the most important factor in any case. Have a look at the last couple of years. Almost exclusively the top of the tree has been filled with clubs with the most money
Penrith disprove your case on that, most clubs are going well through the structures they put in place NOT to bend their salary cap out of whack... its fine to purchase top end talent, but at what price in what position, is that position influential enough to justify 7-10% of your salary cap, and then can you fill the rest of your 30 man squad with local talented juniors at minimum wage to cater for the top end splurge, all whilst still being competitive. The answer is yes for certain clubs who have bought a few key spine players with plans ahead for several years,
Penrith, Manly, Roosters all have done this.
Melbourne are unique as theyve always cultivated the top end players and then let them walk at arse end of their careers to chase top dollar. Souths, Brisbane, Titans and Cronulla are doing similar this coming '22 season, the rest of the clubs are just picking up everyone elses scraps, too top heavy on players in the wrong influential positions, expecting players/teams to come good, when really if your lacking top end talent in spine positions you will never make the GF
The salary cap system is not a measurement to keep all teams fair, its to keep the clubs from overspending, on outlandish player purchases, the whole salary cap system was to bring in fairness has always been a fan told myth, and the smarter clubs will have a few k to spend on a mid season pick up

Colk

First Grade
Penrith disprove your case on that, most clubs are going well through the structures they put in place NOT to bend their salary cap out of whack... its fine to purchase top end talent, but at what price in what position, is that position influential enough to justify 7-10% of your salary cap, and then can you fill the rest of your 30 man squad with local talented juniors at minimum wage to cater for the top end splurge, all whilst still being competitive. The answer is yes for certain clubs who have bought a few key spine players with plans ahead for several years,
Penrith, Manly, Roosters all have done this.
Melbourne are unique as theyve always cultivated the top end players and then let them walk at arse end of their careers to chase top dollar. Souths, Brisbane, Titans and Cronulla are doing similar this coming '22 season, the rest of the clubs are just picking up everyone elses scraps, too top heavy on players in the wrong influential positions, expecting players/teams to come good, when really if your lacking top end talent in spine positions you will never make the GF
The salary cap system is not a measurement to keep all teams fair, its to keep the clubs from overspending, on outlandish player purchases, the whole salary cap system was to bring in fairness has always been a fan told myth, and the smarter clubs will have a few k to spend on a mid season pick up

Does it though? Your leagues club would be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, so I would think your football club would be fairly well funded. You would know more than me, so I’d defer to your judgement but that’s just what I’ve read/heard. Despite your clubs success, I am not in favour of clubs being in charge of junior development and I point to cases like Newcastle and the Gold Coast as reasons why.

The current player market system does need to change. The draft would obviously be a non-starter due to the history but there needs to be something to better regulate the movements. Player managers have way too much power and you can pretty much tell that the system isn’t policed well (salary cap rorts long-standing and not discovered by the NRL, contracts broken on a whim often to go to another club for a higher contract, signing for another club more than a year in advance which then precedes to that player moving there straight away, incredibly disproportionate advantages for certain clubs based on location)

Most other competitions have a well regulated player market and junior development system that ensures the most amount of juniors are fed into the system and that player movements are accepted and brokered between the two clubs (trades, transfer fees etc)

xe_kilroy

Juniors
perth to Sydney is only half hour more than Auckland to Sydney, without the international hassle at the airport. in 2016 I flew it 38 times for work in 10 months. It’s no great hardship
Excellent point. As others have said also it's incomprehensible that only the NRL does not have a WA or SA team. Regardless of AFLs long history in those states, nothing to fear, other sports all have a true national comp with a team from each major city and/or region. Only RL doesn't. And while they may have not needed to, can survive being East Coast centric, the ARLC / NRL ought to realize they do need to plonk a team in WA and SA not only for mere representation, but to expand the game if genuine about growth and expansion, and fighting off RU, pushing against AFL and their expansion east, etc.

At the very least, the NRL needs to immediately just schedule say 4 games in Perth and 4 in Adelaide every year nonstop for years to come just to keep promoting the game, setting up a fanbase, pathways, etc....like how the NFL schedules London games, and soon venturing to Getmany etc.

Colk

First Grade
Excellent point. As others have said also it's incomprehensible that only the NRL does not have a WA or SA team. Regardless of AFLs long history in those states, nothing to fear, other sports all have a true national comp with a team from each major city and/or region. Only RL doesn't. And while they may have not needed to, can survive being East Coast centric, the ARLC / NRL ought to realize they do need to plonk a team in WA and SA not only for mere representation, but to expand the game if genuine about growth and expansion, and fighting off RU, pushing against AFL and their expansion east, etc.

At the very least, the NRL needs to immediately just schedule say 4 games in Perth and 4 in Adelaide every year nonstop for years to come just to keep promoting the game, setting up a fanbase, pathways, etc....like how the NFL schedules London games, and soon venturing to Getmany etc.

Exactly. Considering TV money and sponsorship are probably what 60-70% of sports revenue, it is incomprehensible not to have a team in every large market possible. As Perth Red have stated there would be sponsorship opportunities for these teams as well, particularly those who want to get greater traction in markets like Sydney and Brisbane; there not going to get the same level of exposure in those markets sponsoring an AFL side

Latest posts