What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates from CUA

Big Mick

Referee
I thought i'd give an unbiased view on some of your boys.

Harold Matthews - #10...Josh I think his name was...absolute beast of a player. A quality talented player who you should feel very excited about. #3 Vai...I think...was a great player.

SG Ball - Great team you have there. Both halves were fantastic. Props were fantastic. and your winger...BEAST

UNder 20's. Was sad to see Nathan Gardner go down. His parents were in front of me and I felt so sorry for them. I overhead it was the AC joint in his shoulder. Could be an extended lay-off. But again...halves positive and your forwards very good.

First grade:
- I actually thought Hayne was great at five-eight. Chimed in whenever he wanted or needed too....whereas at Fullback he wasn't reading the play well
- Burt played well
- Fui was the standout
- Hindmarsh's first half was awesome
- Feleti or Keatings barely noticeable.
- Grothe was very solid in defense.
- Cordoba also very good!

mickdo

Coach
I though the fat Number 16 played very well..and he is deceptivly fast. made a good line break. Is a lot fitter than he looks as well. Who is he again?? Should be in the side before Cordoba who did SFA.

That sounds like Mannah. Definitely need him to make a good start in the top grade this year.

woddy

Juniors
We'll need all our forwards to fire this year especially with the shuffling in the backline I think we'll see this year. B Smith to 2nd row how did he go in that possie?

It was a sh*t game, Lets get that clear... sh*t.

Negatives from tonight:

No attack
Struggled to break the line, Even Penrith made line breaks
Finch
Ben Smith = passenger and limping all the time
Hayne is not a 5/8 in the traditional sense
I think we are in for long year
Our under 20's are stink, especially the lot that came on in the 2nd half.

Positives:
Online defence
Hindmarsh looks much fitter and quicker
Huaraki was good and seems very fit
Tim Mannah did some good things
Kris Keating played half back for the last 20 and looked very comfortable there.... watch out Finch!!
Burt seemed very vocal from the Back directing the defence. But I still think Hayne is a better fullback

Kilkenny

Coach
It was a sh*t game, Lets get that clear... sh*t.

Negatives from tonight:

No attack
Struggled to break the line, Even Penrith made line breaks
Finch
Ben Smith = passenger and limping all the time
Hayne is not a 5/8 in the traditional sense
I think we are in for long year
Our under 20's are stink, especially the lot that came on in the 2nd half.

Positives:
Online defence
Hindmarsh looks much fitter and quicker
Huaraki was good and seems very fit
Tim Mannah did some good things
Kris Keating played half back for the last 20 and looked very comfortable there.... watch out Finch!!
Burt seemed very vocal from the Back directing the defence. But I still think Hayne is a better fullback

You are a very hard marker.

I actually thought the game, for a trial, was very competitive and I would have thought you guys would have taken a lot from the game.

Your defensive line speed was excellent and reminiscent of the Roosters in there former glory days.

I thought Brett Finch directed the team very well and in the end was the difference between the two sides. He is surely the most underated player in the game and I would love it if he was our half.

The only point you have raised which I would not disagree with was the performance of your Under 20's who were resoundly beaten by our mob.

muznik

Juniors
So...

Hayne went well @ 5/8th...no hang on, he was crap.
Finch steered the team well......no he was crap too.
But Grothe went well....... when he wasnt crap playing crap as well.
Keating was OK, when he also wasnt being crap.
Tautai cant pass.
Ben Smith limps.
Feleti was ordinary...when he wasnt being good?
But Hindy is a legend.

So the best thing out of the game was the final score.

FMD I cant wait 4 the Warriors game so I can get an idea.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
Hayne was involved in EVERYTHING. which is the whole purpose of putting him at 5/8. Not all of it was good, some of it was classy.some stupidity (conceeding a penalty on 5th tackle). but the kid is 21 year old playing his 1st game in the position. Give it time.

Feleti was a class above the opposition, Kris Keating looked very good when on the field. The biggest positive I took from the game was commitment in Defence. Line speed was great and the scramble defence was the best i have seen from a Parra team in a long , long time. Highlights a change in attitude I guess.

Tim Mannah and Brod Wright were great off the bench and had much more of an impact than Cordoba.

Ben Smith was awesome defensively. I didn't notice him limping around at all. Jake?

Weller Huraki is my tip to be this seasons BIG improver. He looked awesome out there on occasions and could be a real attacking threat on the fringes as well as adding an imposing defensive force . Big hits!

Negatives for mine were a stuttering attack, Inu catching a cold, Burt being his usual pussy self and watching high balls bounce, the hooker rotation (matt keating is 3 yards too slow and kingston did not impress but it was only 1 game) and the side losing direction at times on 5th tackles. All of which can be worked on and all things considered, a big improvement on last year.

Overall a massive improvement on anything I saw last year in terms of attitude, which is the 1st step and its very early days.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hayne was involved in EVERYTHING. which is the whole purpose of putting him at 5/8. Not all of it was good, some of it was classy.some stupidity (conceeding a penalty on 5th tackle). but the kid is 21 year old playing his 1st game in the position. Give it time.

Feleti was a class above the opposition, Kris Keating looked very good when on the field. The biggest positive I took from the game was commitment in Defence. Line speed was great and the scramble defence was the best i have seen from a Parra team in a long , long time. Highlights a change in attitude I guess.

Tim Mannah and Brod Wright were great off the bench and had much more of an impact than Cordoba.

Ben Smith was awesome defensively. I didn't notice him limping around at all. Jake?

Weller Huraki is my tip to be this seasons BIG improver. He looked awesome out there on occasions and could be a real attacking threat on the fringes as well as adding an imposing defensive force . Big hits!

Negatives for mine were a stuttering attack, Inu catching a cold, Burt being his usual pussy self and watching high balls bounce, the hooker rotation (matt keating is 3 yards too slow and kingston did not impress but it was only 1 game) and the side losing direction at times on 5th tackles. All of which can be worked on and all things considered, a big improvement on last year.

Overall a massive improvement on anything I saw last year in terms of attitude, which is the 1st step and its very early days.

Careful, forum police are monitoring every negtative thing said about Burt.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
Careful, forum police are monitoring every negtative thing said about Burt.

aint that the truth. dead set he backs away from bombs. at least attack it, even if you drop it, it's better then letting it bounce. Aside from that he had a good game last night. His 3 major weaknesses (kick returns, the high ball , and defence) weren't exploited at all but at the end of the day he's the same old point scoring pansy.

ROGUE

Juniors
Firstly thanks all for the updates,what i find most unusual is how different people interpret the game as far as there player performance ratings go.It's like there were different games being watched, and since when has mannah been fat?He"s allegedly the fittest in the squad.Anyways bring on round 1 so i can form my own opinion

Stagger eel

Staff member
I thought Burt was sound and actually played better than Hayne when they swapped back there, backed up well in a couple of half breaks, made a brilliant copy book tackle on Coote when he split our defence and caught the opposition napping with one of his short drop outs. they targeted him a couple of times in the air but wasn't overly tested.

Ben Smith was absolutely brilliant in defence and moved 1 in when Jono came on and I thought did a great job in the back row. not much in attack but there wasn't a great deal from anyone.

if Burt did what Hayne did when he gifted Sammut a try with a ridiculous kick we'd hear about it for 2 years however he redeemed himself with an 80 metre try thanks to a bone jaring tackle from Grothe.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Firstly thanks all for the updates,what i find most unusual is how different people interpret the game as far as there player performance ratings go.It's like there were different games being watched, and since when has mannah been fat?He"s allegedly the fittest in the squad.Anyways bring on round 1 so i can form my own opinion

Mannah did very well but struggled in the end with fitness, I thought he matched with pace and defence though and infact made a clean break in the second half which lead to coote having to throw everything he had to him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
oh and Weller was definitely one of the shining lights, his defence was fantastic and appears to have improved his intensity.

Parra Guru

Coach
Eric Grothe just looked lost on the wing IMO...virtually stood next to Ben Smith all game leaving his opposing winger unmarked. Lost the ball a few times as well...will surprise me if he starts on the wing. He stood in front of his centre while the ball was coming along the backline towards him.

A bit harsh. Nothing was let down that side all night. For once Eric's defence was a shining light compared to his attack. I thought he made some good decisions and coupled them with some solid hits.