What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella officially signs with the Hull Kingston Rovers

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
So no more Vella then...... thats sad in a way :(

yeah very sad..I hope to start a best wishes/tribute thread in the pd so we can all post our thoughts and I'll try and get to get him a hard copy of it.

Hellsy

Immortal
It would have been nice to have farewelled him properly, he has been a part of the club for so long!

I know it is his choice etc.. but it is sad... then again our club did absolute fkn sh*t for our leaving/retiring players at the end of this season anyway :evil:

easty said:
Hi guys. I'm posting from Hull, England just wondering what your thoughts are of Vella. Strengths weaknesses ect. How do you think he'll go in the ESL.

Cheers.

In your faster game with a quicker play the ball he should go really well. Played for Australia when we had a similar style of play because he tends to favour the quicker, more agile style of football. In addition, you won't see a better kick-off returner in your whole league.

Freak2

Juniors
I am quite shocked by this news but wish Mick all the best with his new chalenge!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Anyone who leaves the Roosters (or Ricky) to join another club, normally turns out good. Just ask Fletcher, Hodges, Robinson, Grothe, Crocker. :D We can probably expect the same for Finch and Fa'aso.

Now just on Vella, it didnt surprise me with the all the news in the last couple of weeks. But it is sad to see him go, been with the club for quite a while. Debuted for Parramatta against the Cowboys at Dairy Farmers in 1998, played a few games off the bench that year, in fact I remember his first try was against the Broncos that year, when we surprised everyone and beat the competition leaders up in Brisbane. 1999 was a great year for Mick, Origin berth, test debut and add to that the Dally M Rookie of the year, he gained plenty of experience along with Dean Pay up front. We had a young forward pack back then, and with the departure of Pay the following year Vella gained confidence and stepped up to the front along with Cayless. Despite a bad start in 2000, the Eels came good in the end, Vella's performances earned him a spot in the World Cup. 2001 was even better for not only Parramatta but Vella as well, playing test football and Origin. I remember whenever Cayless was off the field, Vella would give it his best and inspire his teammates. I thought he lost a bit of confidence in 2002, with all the injuries and suspensions that year, but there were a few good games for Vel. That semi final against Brisbane with Cayless out, Vella had a blinder made an amazing run from the kick off. If you put the C next to his name, he has a good game. It was good to see him comeback from thyroid cancer in 2005, I thought he played alright after that but wasnt the same player unfortunately. A Parramatta junior, Vella will be missed. Good luck to him at Hull KR, with his old mate Morgan.

See Ya Vella.:clap:

Parraren

Bench
First of all...Thanks, good luck & all the best to Micky V.

Secondly, from the little i've seen of Fa'aoso he looks like a player with plenty of potential.

True EEL

Bench
^^ Parra Fan,

i forgot to add i remember that final against Brisbane where he made that big bust, he did that sort of thing several times in his career - hit the line, bust it open and just pin the ears back and go for it (as he was once a winger/centre) and the opposition forwards were always like WTF? we can't catch him....LOL

The Colonel

Immortal
My lasting memory of Micky V is against the Tigers in 2001. Broken nose taped up, looking like Hannibal Lecter, and making a break to run almost the full lengfth of the field only to be brought down short of the line. It was an effort that deserved a try, but probably speaks volumes about Mickys career since then. He's always been so close but yet so far from being the player he was when he burst on to the scene.
I wish him all the best.....

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The Colonel said:
My lasting memory of Micky V is against the Tigers in 2001. Broken nose taped up, looking like Hannibal Lecter, and making a break to run almost the full lengfth of the field only to be brought down short of the line. It was an effort that deserved a try, but probably speaks volumes about Mickys career since then. He's always been so close but yet so far from being the player he was when he burst on to the scene.
I wish him all the best.....

992771.jpg

my favourite MIcky moment tooo!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Damian Kelly has just informed me that there is an audio interview with Micky Vella on the official website.

check it out.

Redback71

First Grade
Anyone who leaves the Roosters (or Ricky) to join another club, normally turns out good. Just ask Fletcher, Hodges, Robinson, Grothe, Crocker. We can probably expect the same for Finch and Fa'aso.

Now just on Vella, it didnt surprise me with the all the news in the last couple of weeks. But it is sad to see him go, been with the club for quite a while. Debuted for Parramatta against the Cowboys at Dairy Farmers in 1998, played a few games off the bench that year, in fact I remember his first try was against the Broncos that year, when we surprised everyone and beat the competition leaders up in Brisbane. 1999 was a great year for Mick, Origin berth, test debut and add to that the Dally M Rookie of the year, he gained plenty of experience along with Dean Pay up front. We had a young forward pack back then, and with the departure of Pay the following year Vella gained confidence and stepped up to the front along with Cayless. Despite a bad start in 2000, the Eels came good in the end, Vella's performances earned him a spot in the World Cup. 2001 was even better for not only Parramatta but Vella as well, playing test football and Origin. I remember whenever Cayless was off the field, Vella would give it his best and inspire his teammates. I thought he lost a bit of confidence in 2002, with all the injuries and suspensions that year, but there were a few good games for Vel. That semi final against Brisbane with Cayless out, Vella had a blinder made an amazing run from the kick off. If you put the C next to his name, he has a good game. It was good to see him comeback from thyroid cancer in 2005, I thought he played alright after that but wasnt the same player unfortunately. A Parramatta junior, Vella will be missed. Good luck to him at Hull KR, with his old mate Morgan.

See Ya Vella.

i forgot to add i remember that final against Brisbane where he made that big bust, he did that sort of thing several times in his career - hit the line, bust it open and just pin the ears back and go for it (as he was once a winger/centre) and the opposition forwards were always like WTF? we can't catch him....LOL

could not have put any better my self:nwave: :clap: :cry: bye bye

Gronk

Staff member
Which pub in W'loo did he buy into ? From memory its either the Woolloomooloo Bay, the Tilbury, the Frisco, the Old Fitzroy or the Bells. I think thats all of them down there.

DK= Damian Kelly

DK: Well Mick there has been a very exciting announcement in regards to your future
MV: Yeah I just signed a 3 year Deal at Hull KR so be working with Justin Morgan the head coach over there, so it’s very exciting

DK: What was the clincher for the move to England?
MV: I think just the opportunity to go over there and it’s a 3 year deal and ar the chance to travel so it was pretty hard because me fiancé is pregnant with her first child and the child will be born over there and I just bough a share in a hotel at Woolloomooloo, so that is going to be something I miss out on starting that up.

DK: It was obviously a difficult decision for you?
MV: Yeah it was I have been at the club for a long time, I am a local junior, and it was a very hard decision

DK: Arhm, Just to Alay any fears there wasn’t a blow up with the club or new coach Michal Hagan who has only been in the job for a Couple of hours.
MV: Yeah nah, not at all, arh I left the club on good terms and everything is sweet with that so I ‘m like there’s no harsh words said or any bad blood.

DK: I know plenty of the team mates will miss you, on and off the field it will be an emotional time for you not being a Parramatta player.
MV: Yeah defiantly, I have been here for a long time, and played with Cayless, Hindy, Wags and Burty for a number of year so it will be arhm hard to leave, but it has to happen sooner or latter.

DK: Is there a favorite Parramatta Moment that sticks in your mind? Straight Away?
MV: Arh there is so many to list but arhm I guess just playing with a lot of the people I have played with over the years it has been a great opportunity,

DK: Mick on behalf of everyone at Parramatta, that for everything you have done.
MV: Thanks Very Much

Latest posts