What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice your opinion - yes price no sheens

TheRev

Coach
If its a true story then it says a lot about Price, but the problem is Merrin cant really say anything different can he? Without causing an inferno within the club.

For me actions speak louder than words, and its action ive been wanting to see in Prices gameplan and selections and its been absent.. the question is why... the million dollar question.. whats been going wrong in-house!?!?

BrissyRedV

Bench
If its a true story then it says a lot about Price, but the problem is Merrin cant really say anything different can he? Without causing an inferno within the club.

For me actions speak louder than words, and its action ive been wanting to see in Prices gameplan and selections and its been absent.. the question is why... the million dollar question.. whats been going wrong in-house!?!?

But thats just it, actions do speak louder than words. If the players truly did not support Price, we most certainly would not have won the past 3 games and it is there for all to see the changes in the way we have been moving the ball around in attack. From looking at the players on the field they look to be enjoying their footy. Would that be the case if they did not want Price as coach? If the players really did not support him, they would all put up the same rhetorical to the media and it all would be in far shorter statements than what has been made by the guys so far.

I feel Price has been made the fall guy for last season and potentially this season if it all goes down hill from here, but what did he have to work with? An inherited ageing squad that he has not had the support from Doust and co to put his spin and recruit who he wants. He has been set-up for failure. Now, we have actually been active in the market and it looks as if he won't even have the chance prove himself.

nontime111

Juniors
Look...we dont want to become another PARRAMATTA! Look at the ugly legacy from clubs like that with short term minds and attitudes who just use that old chesnut 'Sack the COACH'...its BS...PRICEY is a DRAGONS MAN THRU AND THRU!! We have lost recently a HUGE part of the MAGIC of Saints...our very SOUL...in losing Sowie...I wont wear it at all if they oust a TRUE Dragons man for some mediocre outsider whos AY past his use by date be real people...for some unpopular has been like Sheens. Saints board NEEDS some balls and guts here and to keep there heads in this race to upgrade and think long term by giving Price a good go with the better players coming on board now... His ideas are damn REVOLUTIONARY his attacking options and moves this year have been absolutely brilliant and of course a new coach with such radical ideas needs time for it to come to fruition on the actual field...and Saints defence has been SOLID for his whole tenure so far....I dont want my Dragons being watered down and run by a bunch of outside ring ins with no real passion for the club, after Sowie leaving a HUGE amount of true spirit Dragons passion has left us and it would be utter MADNESS to ditch SUCH a talented bourgouining , so respected already coach (with the avge roster hes had and bad luck...first the Moltzen thing and then the injuries etc...) whos retained the respect and friendship of the actual players and kept his head HIGH and shown what an integral Dragons man he is in fine tradition and spirit of our great club. Thats the very thing that IS our SOUL and LEGACY and what makes us different!! I love Dragons because of the magic and soul of the true believers here who never give up or give in! Were in a rebuilding stage and just GOOD now so please give him a fair crack his potentials been stunning these last 3 games have proved that the SPIRIT IS RISING IN US ONCE AGAIN AND HIS IDEAS ARE STARTING TO SUCCEED BIG TIME! (also, remember we DI come 9th last year also, his very first year only ONE place out of the finals! ) Please DOUST and whoever else is thinking of the short term, forget the Dinasaurs of the past......please get on with the astute and very very well thought out innovations in tactics for the new era with PRICEY!!! I dont want anymore TRUE SPIRIT DRAGONS MEN being pulled for RING INS ala ALL the other clubs basically....this is really starting to IRK me PRICE BLEEDS RED AND WHITE and the players actively stick up for him and respect him and like him personally and are really just begginning to gel with the new ideas and structures, when it clicks its EXCITING as Nighties 2 tries against Cronulla! Newcastle, Tigers and Sharks are VERY good teams and threw EVERYTHING at Us and the passion of the mighty Dragons prevailed were RISING AGAIN people, hear us LOUD DOUSTIE!!!! DONT GET RID OF WHAT MADE US GREAT AS A TEAM IN THE FIRST PLACE PLEASE>...DONT GET RID OF OUR SOUL FOR A SHOT AT MERE HYPE AND A RISKY BIG NAME COACH HES HAD HIS DAY HES OLD!!! STALE...PRICE IS NEW AND VERY VERY TALENTED!! DOnt want this kind of so called 'SUCCESS' this means sticking by PRICE hes been a pillar of strength specially during the Bellamy soap opera...and now hes starting to SHINE...this also means NOT signing a total ratbag like Dugan aswell at the expense of a FUTURE SUPERSTARS and PASSIONATE DRAGONS wanting a FAIR CRACK ALSO IN EVANDER CUMMINS/QUINLAN/RUNCIMAN/KING etc!!! PEOPLE...WERE ON THE VERGE OF GREATNESS!!! smell that AIR!!!, have some faith and PATIENCE and let the cards fall, I FEEL it in my guts that the PRICE is MORE than right, hes a future GREAT COACH....please keep our heads and dont make too many changes or youll take away our VERY SOUL, what makes us MAGIC for short term ....MAYBE gain.....silly silly risk...stay TRUE TO THE REAL RED V GO THE MIGHTIES!!!!!!

possm

Coach
Lock Trent Merrin, arguably the Dragons' best this season, said the players, not the coach, were to blame for the side's slow start and urged the club to stick with Price.
''That's exactly what it was, it was us as a group to blame,'' Merrin said before Country's clash with City in Coffs Harbour on Sunday.
''Everyone was blaming Pricey but in the end it comes down to the players and the individuals. If we don't want to play footy then we're going to dish up rubbish, which we did the first few weeks. We've had a good look at ourselves and tweaked a few things and it's been working since.
''There was heaps of talk about him getting the chop and we knew that. But that's not what we're about. We don't give into stuff like that and and we knew we were better than that. To see someone we love and respect so much to be criticised like that hurt all of us. We knew we had to pull our fingers out to make sure he stays with us.''
You'd be hard pressed to find a person who has anything negative to say about Price, and those in rugby league circles believe the besieged Dragons mentor is one of the best young coaches in the business.
But St George Illawarra haven't done him any favours by placing so much uncertainty over his future.
They've made no secret of their desire to lure a high-profile coach to the club and even when they missed out on Craig Bellamy, they placed Price under even greater pressure when they insisted they would continue their search for another coach. Amidst the uncertainty and the lack of support from the club, Price has transformed his side from potential wooden-spooners into a confident team many believe may challenge for the finals.
Merrin, who has played under Price since the under-20s, went as far as comparing Price with Bennett.
''Pricey is one of those blokes you want to go out there and play for,'' Merrin said. ''There's a similar comparison to Wayne Bennett because you got out there and played for Wayne as well.
''Pricey's down to earth, but he'll give you the tap on the shoulder when he thinks you need it and that's what any good coach does.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...und-in-form-20130419-2i5hn.html#ixzz2QvKSoFqo

Merrin has put his weight behind Pricey and who are we all to disagree with arguably our best player?
;-)

No one really knows the full story and opinions are often based on what we want to believe. I firmly believe that Price is liked by the majority of the players; so was Brown. Because the players like him, it does not automatically mean that he is a coach ready for the first grade. I have said on here a few times before that I supported his appointment and was looking forward to him continuing the fine work Bennett did with the team/Club. I can say that it is very likely that Soward did not believe in Price's game plan especially if the plans focal point was for Soward to run to the line a lot more often.

Price had control of recruitment for the 2012 season and as seen by all that was a huge failure. I can't think of one really good player that he brought to the Club for 2012. We instead had to play top players out of position to cover the limitations we had in our roster. During that pre-season Price had ample opportunity to test Kyle at fullback and somehow did not discover that he was not suitable for the job. During the season he then played him at right center instead of blooding him in the halves.

Then there was the changes Price was going to make to our attacking game and the continuation in our strong defence. It just didn't happen in 2012 and instead there seemed not structure in attack at all. Only glimpses of our famed defence was seen duting that year.

Pre-season 2013 was a similar strory. The only real first grade recruits were Beale and Frizell. Bad luck is the only way to describe Beale's injury but he did have a medical history for knee injuries and again the answer to this problem is to play one of our best players out of position again. Frizell is proving to be a good buy but more was needed to solve the problems we have in the halves. We had money in the kitty and we could have signed Chase for this season - I believe a high transfer fee ended up being the sticking point - but Price came out and said he was happy with the halves he had at his disposal and so decided not to sign Chase. Now we are re-visiting that decision.

As we know we lost the first 3 games this year and everyone could see that not much had changed regarding game plans and player performance.

I believe the Board decided to do something about the situation and took direct action to appoint some outside assistance to improve performance. Well it is there for all to see, the team played a completely different style of play for the next two games and even the defence was back to its old brick wall self.

Price will make a good first grade head coach in the future but there is something holding him back right now and I believe he has not risen to the level as we all hoped he would. I'd say the same about Brown when he was head coach of the Dragons however, now he has matured and seems to be at a level that would quite comfortabley slot right in at NRL level.

I am very sure that the Board has already made up its mind and will announce Sheens has Head Coach or Coaching Director or Football Manager. Title does not really matter; he will be in charge. I am sure that Doust conveyed this to new recruits Thompson, Widdop, Dugan and Chase. Josh Morris may be swayed by this change to ask for a release and play for us in 2014.

I do hope that Price stays on as assistant to Sheens but if not, where ever he goes will be with my best wishes.

Last edited:

ggould

Juniors
I value the opinion of of the Wayne Bennett and Phil Gould who have both come out and said that Price is no mug and can really coach!! Everyone just remember he has been at the club for 10yrs he loves the joint!!!The players keep coming out in support of the guy. Price has impressed with the way he has handled himself through this whole ongoing saga!! I believe given the oportunity and the right balance of players he will be successful! Doust stop screwing around and resign this guy for god sake!!!

Godz Illa

Coach
No one really knows the full story and opinions are often based on what we want to believe.
Very true. This sums up your position pretty well.

We want the best option for our club. Personally, I never believed Sheens was that. My main contender was Daniel Anderson but I have said on here that the best outcome is that Steve Price performs so well that he becomes the compelling choice for the job. He's on his way to doing that based on what we've seen so far.

One of the criticisims of Price is that he wont attract so-called marquee talent. We've just signed the best half on the market, an international, bona fide marquee signing. That myth has apparently been debunked.

I'm leaning towards Price being the best option. Definitely prefer him to Sheens

jenninga

First Grade
We can dismiss the recruiting for 2012 and 2013 as it was obvious things were on hold for the possible appointment of Bellamy.Price has been coaching basically with his hands behind his back as Doust etc were making other plans in the meantime.We were poor at times last year but never humiliated ,now after a full season and off season with a couple of additions it has taken us 3 games to finally put performances together.
Sure it's early days,but Price should have an extension granted as i feel the appointment of Sheens may cause resentment among the squad who have shown 100% commitment in their performances so far telling me it is a happy squad.Sheens has baggage.
Finally the club has shown serious signs of moving forward with new signings and retaining players who will take us into a new exciting era and laying the ghosts of the successfull Bennett era to bed.

BennyV

Referee
We can dismiss the recruiting for 2012 and 2013 as it was obvious things were on hold for the possible appointment of Bellamy.Price has been coaching basically with his hands behind his back as Doust etc were making other plans in the meantime.We were poor at times last year but never humiliated ,now after a full season and off season with a couple of additions it has taken us 3 games to finally put performances together.
Sure it's early days,but Price should have an extension granted as i feel the appointment of Sheens may cause resentment among the squad who have shown 100% commitment in their performances so far telling me it is a happy squad.Sheens has baggage.
Finally the club has shown serious signs of moving forward with new signings and retaining players who will take us into a new exciting era and laying the ghosts of the successfull Bennett era to bed.

That's a huge concern - if they players love and respect Pricey so much, what happens if/when they announce that Sheens will be head coach. Or moreso if they announce that Price will be moved on. It is a fairly delicate situation..

Another interesting scenario - Sheens is announced as head coach, so the team put in harder than ever for Price and pull ourselves into the Top 4 (improbable, but not impossible). Then, for going from from wooden spoon contenders to Top 4, Pricey is awarded Coach of the Year. And then next year, he goes. It would be RIDICULOUS of the board to cut him off so early in the season, especially for Sheens.

FlameThrower

Bench
Agreed,as much as I've stressed aboutPrice, thru the whole Bellamy saga,andBoard not supporting him and basically airing to the world they had no faith in him , he maintained dignity and did not have a dummy spit, wait a few more weeks give the guy a chance, I think he may deserve an extension with Sheens as Mentor?

possm

Coach
This thred's topic seeks out member's opinion on who would make the best Dragons coach - Price or Sheens.

For those who support Price being the Dragons coach and see this question as being who should be Dragons coach, their answer is ‘yes Price for Coach’. So far some members have indicated positive support for Price to be coach and put forward a view that is more to do with loyalty, admiration, hope and potential. Their view has less to do with his performance as head coach during the period of 2012/2013. All understand things have not gone well however, excuses can be found even if they are the long strech of the imagination type of excuses.

To make my point I would like to put forward a similar question:
Who do you think the NRL Board would select as Australian Coach, Price or Sheens?
I wonder what your true thoughts would be and why?

Sheens would win hands down mainly because he has demonstrated that he has the superior coaching skills, knowledge, man management and experience.

For me, I would like to see the Dragons have the best possible coach, the best possible players and the best possible chance to win each game. I don't particularly like Sheens and don't dislike Price. It’s simply a matter of who can do the best for the Dragons.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Price is rubbish. Can't wait to see the back of him. Last year was painful. This year has not been much better. Beating the out of form Sharks (who lost to Parra after they were smashed 50-0), the Tigers minus Benji by 1 point a Newcastle who are the jekyl and hide of the comp is no great achievement. Saints are a proud club and accepting the type of football the team dished up last season is poor. That Bronco's game this season was shocking. They were that bad and Saints still lost. I am suprised how quick some can forget. You look at the stats in that game and you wonder how Brisbane won that game. All Price could say is there were some lapses that cost us the game. Lapses? Must have been alot of them as they had the ball a $hite load more than the Broncos in the 1st half? The players love him too but hey, I would love him as my coach if I play like crap and all he can say good effort but execution was off or lapses? WTF

Sheens will be great for the club and will make us a more better team to watch. He has good game plans. Most of the times they work and when they don't they still look good when they lose. The Tigers have not had that many bad loses. They only missed out last season due to some injuries at the back end of the season. They play a good attacking style of football and with the players we have it will suit his game. The Tigers managed to beat the Saints when Bennett was coach and the Saints were the benchmark in the NRL.

He will also attracts good players. Since he was at the Tigers they did not lose many good players to other clubs? Benji, Farrar, Lawrence all stayed. Tuquiri joined which at the time was a big signing. Saints need that as well.

And more importantly when the team plays bad, Sheens will let everyone know and not say rubbish to the press.

TheRev

Coach
I completely agree with you Slippery, Price is so slow to implement change and creative ideas & counters and more importantly he never played the long-game with blooding youth, always the safe/older options & a lack of recruitment (not all his fault).

I've been critical for so long that I try to temper myself a little by thinking of reasons/excuses that perhaps things are out of his hands due to being at logaheads with Soward or the Board etc.. but halfway through 2012 it became pretty clear he wasnt keeping pace with 1st grade.

Somebody compared him to Brown in terms of being a nice guy who the players like, it was a good analogy because Brown didnt work as a coach but the players still loved him.. Brown however I thought was fairly clever on the field and we did play an exciting brand of football under him, but he still wasnt the right coach for us at the time.

Sheens maybe, he seems to genuinely love the game, hes astute in the way he analyses and discusses the game, he is an old-head in the sense he wont take sh*t.. I think we could do a lot worse, if its not him then we would end up taking a punt on someone new.. its a gamble.. maybe it pays off maybe it doesnt. Either way were pushing the restart button on a new era at the Dragons.

TheRev

Coach
I know its not fair to throw international football into the mix, but I'd also be keen to know what style of motivator Price is, just after watching how thoroughly destroyed Samoa were in both halves of football tonight, I mean its a 1-off novelty game, but its like they werent even on the field.

Maybe hes not a 'passionate' guy, maybe he is more quitely spoken and more an analytical coach? id love for them to get a camera into the rooms at halftime..

dragonv

Juniors
Arthur in line to replace Price
Date
April 21, 2013
52 reading nowRead later
Michael Carayannis, Michael Chammas

inShare
Pin Itsubmit to redditEmail articlePrintReprints & permissions

Yet to be signed: Steve Price Photo: Getty Images
St George Illawarra have targeted Manly assistant coach Brad Arthur as a possible long-term replacement for under-fire coach Steve Price with his strong ties to new recruits Gareth Widdop and Joel Thompson an added trump card.

Fairfax Media understands Arthur's manager Chris Orr has held preliminary discussions with Dragons management about Arthur taking charge of the Dragons from 2014. The coaching future is expected to be discussed at a board meeting on Tuesday night after Arthur rejected interest in joining English Super League club Salford.

Despite winning three games in a row Price's future has been thrown into question. The off-contract coach has taken a back seat in forward planning at the club, with boss Peter Doust and recruitment manager Craig Young taking charge of the Dragons' 2014 roster.

Well connected: Brad Arthur's relationship with new Dragons recruits Gareth Widdop and Joel Thompson only adds to his credentials.
Arthur's relationship with incoming star recruit Gareth Widdop, since Widdop started under Arthur as part of Melbourne's under-20s team, sets him up as a key appointment at the Dragons. Arthur has maintained a strong friendship with the Melbourne Storm premiership-winning five-eighth who signed a four-year deal with St George Illawarra on Friday. Widdop kicked the winning goal to lead Arthur's Storm team to a 2009 under-20s grand final victory. Arthur has also tracked the progress of fellow new Dragons recruit Joel Thompson, who was part of the Storm set-up before joining the Raiders.

Advertisement
He joined Manly as Geoff Toovey's assistant this year having followed Stephen Kearney from Melbourne to Parramatta in 2011 to be Kearney's right-hand man.

When Kearney was sacked late last year, Arthur took charge for the final six games of last season, winning his first two of three games. He relocated to Manly on a two-year deal when he was told he would not be part of Ricky Stuart's NRL coaching staff at the Eels.

The indecision caps a turbulent time for the Dragons, who along with Price have captain Ben Creagh and veterans Nathan Fien, Matt Cooper and Michael Weyman off-contract as well as young hooker Mitch Rein.

Meanwhile, the Dragons' last long-term five-eighth Trent Barrett has endorsed Jamie Soward's shock departure to Penrith. Barrett, who is preparing for his first senior coaching position when he takes charge of Country on Sunday, will be joined by Soward at Penrith. ''He'll be good,'' Barrett said. ''He'll be able to control the game. His form over the last few weeks is back to where he was a few years ago and and with the forward pack we've got it will suit his game.''

Barrett said Soward's signing was a launching pad for the club.

''We have a young side, and Jamie has played in a lot of big games,'' he said. ''He's going to help our young halves with their kicking. It's a start for us, we are going through a bit of a rebuilding phase.

''There is pressure wherever you go and the fans will expect him to play well.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...place-price-20130420-2i6zv.html#ixzz2R3AJBMSI

Maximus

Coach
Sheens will be great for the club and will make us a more better team to watch. He has good game plans.

Yeah like selecting a winger on the bench to play 5 minutes at the end of the game. What a plan :roll:

Most of the times they work and when they don't they still look good when they lose. The Tigers have not had that many bad loses.

Most of the time? Well I guess they did make the finals 3 times in the 10 years that Sheens was coach (also taking 5 years to get to the finals again after winning the premiership).

Oh I see you are one of those who would prefer we play pretty and lose, than play dour and win.

They only missed out last season due to some injuries at the back end of the season.

And if we had a bit more luck in those golden point games, we would have made the finals as well. Oh and 4 of their losses in their last 8 games were against top 5 opposition. The only game they lost but should have won was against the Roosters, so the injuries at the end of the season didn't cost them.

The Tigers managed to beat the Saints when Bennett was coach and the Saints were the benchmark in the NRL.

Tigers won just 2 of 6 games against the Dragons in those years. The 2 wins came when we were far from the benchmark (both at the end of 2011).

Canberra beat us 4 times during those years, so Furner must be as good as Bellamy.

Brisbane beat us 3 times with Henjak as coach, so why aren't we signing him up as coach?

Souths beat us with Jason Taylor and John Lang as coaches.

The Panthers beat us with Elliott as coach.

The Roosters beat us with Brian Smith as coach.

He will also attracts good players. Since he was at the Tigers they did not lose many good players to other clubs? Benji, Farrar, Lawrence all stayed.

Laffranchi, Prince, Hodgson, Te'o, Gibbs, Fifita?

Tuquiri joined which at the time was a big signing. Saints need that as well.

What do we need exactly? We keep the vast majority of our good players.

His signings in the last 5 years?

Anasta, Pettybourne, Bodene Thompson, Bell, Blair (on 500k), Humble, Iosefa, Moors, Reddy, Utai, Mitch Brown, Jason Cayless, Daniela, Fitzhenry, Flanagan, Fulton (didn't they have an agreement to get him back anyway?), Wade McKinnon (when he was past it), Tuqiri (he was 31 at the time) and Ellis (well there is 1 good signing). Go even further back and it still isn't looking much better.

No matter what people like you think, Sheens does not have this amazing history of attracting stars to his club, so why would he be able to do it here? Oh that's right, because he is the Australian coach. The only reason the Tigers don't have Slater, Smith, Cronk and Gallen is because the Tigers didn't make an offer :roll:

jenninga

First Grade
Price is rubbish. Can't wait to see the back of him. Last year was painful. This year has not been much better. Beating the out of form Sharks (who lost to Parra after they were smashed 50-0), the Tigers minus Benji by 1 point a Newcastle who are the jekyl and hide of the comp is no great achievement. Saints are a proud club and accepting the type of football the team dished up last season is poor. That Bronco's game this season was shocking. They were that bad and Saints still lost. I am suprised how quick some can forget. You look at the stats in that game and you wonder how Brisbane won that game. All Price could say is there were some lapses that cost us the game. Lapses? Must have been alot of them as they had the ball a $hite load more than the Broncos in the 1st half? The players love him too but hey, I would love him as my coach if I play like crap and all he can say good effort but execution was off or lapses? WTF

Sheens will be great for the club and will make us a more better team to watch. He has good game plans. Most of the times they work and when they don't they still look good when they lose. The Tigers have not had that many bad loses. They only missed out last season due to some injuries at the back end of the season. They play a good attacking style of football and with the players we have it will suit his game. The Tigers managed to beat the Saints when Bennett was coach and the Saints were the benchmark in the NRL.

He will also attracts good players. Since he was at the Tigers they did not lose many good players to other clubs? Benji, Farrar, Lawrence all stayed. Tuquiri joined which at the time was a big signing. Saints need that as well.

And more importantly when the team plays bad, Sheens will let everyone know and not say rubbish to the press.
Sheens is crap,the Raiders side he coached could have coached themselves,as can the current Roos team.Sheens led the Cowboys to how many spoons,and the Tigers didn't have game plans,just run off Marshall and you'lle be right.
Sheens is yesterdays man and overrated ,how many players did they lose last season,and signing Tiquiri,big f#*king woop.