What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Rich102

Staff member
Might take a season to get up to NRL standard. There wouldn't have been much emphasis placed on it in his carrer so far, once again aka Ben Barba.

But I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to take a bit of a gamble on him rather than sitting miles under the salary cap and making mediocre signings, worst case scenario he turns out to be a a decent NRL half/fullback.

Bit of an about face from you?
You were always going on about Maloney's defence, although Maloney wasn't in the side for his defence.
Yet you are saying we can take Tompkins without defence.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tomkins defence shouldn't be the main concern, that is the job of your front 12, once a big bust has been made most of the times the fullbacks don't have a great chance of stopping a lot of them

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Bit of an about face from you?
You were always going on about Maloney's defence, although Maloney wasn't in the side for his defence.
Yet you are saying we can take Tompkins without defence.

Well completely different situation actually so no not really. Maloney defends on the edge and was directly responsible for line break after line break, and last year his so called offense (mainly hole running) was no where near good enough to offset that. As Beaver said a fullbacks defense is no where the same concern as a guy who might have to make 20 tackles a game and have second rowers/centres running at him all game. A legitimate concern might be his work under the high ball but that can be worked on pretty quickly/easily.

Next.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It is a concern though. You look at the top fullbacks and they save as many tries as they score if not more. Essentially we'd be paying a mil for a guy who won't be more than middle of the pack in regards to complete package.

I do agree though, if it's a choice between getting him or being a mil under the cap, welcome aboard.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It is a concern though. You look at the top fullbacks and they save as many tries as they score if not more. Essentially we'd be paying a mil for a guy who won't be more than middle of the pack in regards to complete package.

I do agree though, if it's a choice between getting him or being a mil under the cap, welcome aboard.

Billy Slater and Greg Inglis save tries with their defense, I'm not sure there is any other fullback out there who you can say regularly saves tries at the back with great defensive play? And if there are they don't have the attacking ability of Tomkins. He's very likely going to be more than a middle of the pack fullback if he can at least offer defense on a similar level to Barba and Bowen. He can be around that Brett Stewart level.

hitman82

Bench
Considering how drab our team is, I could tolerate a few missed tackles for Tomkins' electric attacking ability. Though, I would play him at 6.

vvvrulz

Coach
Considering how drab our team is, I could tolerate a few missed tackles for Tomkins' electric attacking ability. Though, I would play him at 6.

I think we have a lot of attacking capability at the moment, with TL being our weak point. I'd play Tomkins there too and keep Locke at the back.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I remember Graham Lowe saying in 2008 or 2009 that he would be playing Locke at halfback and that was his natural position

Make sure that none of you bagging Leuluai say it anywhere near Alan Mac :lol;

WireMan

Bench
Warriors rumour mill is getting lol crazy now. How many players have we got going all over the place?

Mateo -> Dragons/Panthers
Loko -> Warriors
Tomkins -> Titans/Warriors
Hurrell -> Wigan (depending on Tomkins)
Locke -> Roosters/Wigan*
Kasiano -> Warriors*
Blair -> Warriors*
Some random british forward - Warriors

Have I missed anything? Keep in mind a lot of these are fans who claim to have "sources" so are likely complete BS.

Shaun Johnson to Warrington...

In one of the rags over here. ;-)

Penrose11

Juniors
Just read that in uk Daily Telegraph as well (couldn't post link) I'd give it as much credence though as us being linked with Carney, sbw, cronk etc etc - they've all been mentioned in last 6 months but were never going to come here. Could you imagine the uproar if the warriors 'brains trust' were to not resign Johnson??Roits and burning effigies of Bell and Scurrgh only Beazley St I reckon

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I still havent seen anything about Carney signing with Sharks.
If the sharks thing goes ugly, I cant see him staying.

Most of the other clubs, would be out of play for Carney now.

tangalife

Juniors
He wont be coming here. To say no to us out right without even then immediately resigning to your club or to another just says hes not keen at all.

Benek

Juniors
Billy Slater and Greg Inglis save tries with their defense, I'm not sure there is any other fullback out there who you can say regularly saves tries at the back with great defensive play? And if there are they don't have the attacking ability of Tomkins. He's very likely going to be more than a middle of the pack fullback if he can at least offer defense on a similar level to Barba and Bowen. He can be around that Brett Stewart level.

Locke saved 2 in our last game. Plenty of fullbacks do that.

I think try-saving defense in a fullback is equally important as attack.

Tomkins looks good but what he's asking is the kind of money Slater or Inglis should get paid. There's no way a guy who's never played NRL should get that kind of money.

Having said that, I agree paying him too much is better than sitting idly with a MIL under salary cap. Sounds like it's hard enough getting anyone talented to come over here so we have to take what we can.

Penrose11

Juniors
You're kidding right? What a huge about face by Bell n Scurrgh if the case. Must admit though, I was always a bit of a fan.

Iafeta

Referee
LOL - nrl website, very lazy.

Some pom betting agencies are putting out bets on Sam Tomkins next move. We're 6/5 odds on favourites. Bookies generally don't want to throw away money on these types of things.

Rich102

Staff member
All bets are off - Wigan superstar Sam Tomkins will be a Warrior according to British bookmaker Victor Chandler.
The UK betting agency has stopped taking bets on which club the Super League's "Man of Steel" will move to next year.
The fullback has been linked with a number of NRL clubs for next season, including the Titans, Roosters and Dragons but the bookmaker made the Warriors red-hot favourite at $1.57.
Then, after just a few days of money pouring in on New Zealand getting Tompkins, the betting company closed the book, accepting no more bets.
Speculation that Tomkins will be joining the Warriors next season intensified after newspaper Wigan Today reported that his mother had recently made a trip to New Zealand, while his former team-mate Thomas Leuluai told Fairfax Media last week that Tomkins has had phone conversations with him about what it would be like to join the club.
The Titans seem to be the main rivals to the Warriors for the fullback's services. Their CEO, David May, has been in England to meet Tomkins' representatives.
Speculation about Tomkins coming to the NRL has been intense in both hemispheres for the past month and Wigan Today reported last week that Kevin Locke could be swapped with Tomkins to sweeten the deal.
However, Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah rubbished that suggestion.
"We have never discussed anything like that," he said. "We haven't had that discussion with Kevin or anyone about it. Certainly Kevin is seen as a big part of the club going forward."
In Tomkins' recent column in the Manchester Evening News he said he was aware of news stories about him moving Down Under, but was focused on the rest of the season with Wigan.
"My focus right now is firmly on helping Wigan win trophies," he said.
"I am obviously aware of the stories circulating predicting that I could soon end up playing in the NRL but I'm not going to be drawn on this.
"I admit, a lot of our top players are looking to play in Australia.
"A rugby league playing career lasts between 10 and 12 years, so any opportunities and offers have to be considered.
"This is not a 40-year career that can see you through a lengthy working life.
"We possibly have some teams who can compete with their Australian counterparts but the NRL is a better standard. The salary cap is higher in the Australian game and players are bound to be targeted."
Negotiations between Tomkins' management and the Warriors are continuing but it is clearly not having an adverse affect on the player.
adServer.bs

Last weekend he scored two tries in Wigan's win over Salford and has amassed 18 tries over his last nine games for the club.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8662453/Sam-Tomkins-a-Warrior-according-to-bookies

Latest posts