What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett agrees to coach Knights for four years

lockyno1

Post Whore
There may be a get out clause, a lot of deals do have this...why would he go..lets see to be coached by the best coach in the business

jonno_knights

Juniors
Bennett has a better ('un-Bennettised') version of Soward in Mullen.

+ Soward actually seams to bleed the RedV, whereas Boyd seems to bleed Wayne Bennett.

Dragon

Coach
There may be a get out clause, a lot of deals do have this...why would he go..lets see to be coached by the best coach in the business

On MNF he was asked this very question, and said he wanted to finish his career with the Saints. Said Bennett was a good mate and will remain someone he could always ring for advice.

Wato

Juniors
Knights don't have room for Soward and with the utmost respect for the great player he is, we don't need him as we have Mullen, Henry and young Roberts and Sullivan.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Far fetched... and Soward bleeds red and white. He's also stated many times he wants to finish his career at the dragons. Plus the knights have no need for Soward.

You may as well throw up every player in our squad as following bennett if you want to draw that long bow.

Wato

Juniors
You can keep everyone but Boyd but we must insist he brings the trophy with him. Yo can have it on the weekends? As the trophy belongs to Bennentt and he will be needing when he becomes the first coach to win three in a row. All jokes aside I think most Knights fans would be happy if Bennentt could turn us into a top 4 side and improves our discipline and attitude. I think it will be hard to beat the Dragons this year thou and that game against us has to be one of the best games I have seen for a while.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Errors and penalties have been a big problem of our team over the past 2 years. If Benny can fix that up alone, we will be top 8. Our inconsistency comes with those errors and penalties Monday night game for example, refs fault or not it killed us big time

Perth Red

Post Whore
I find the whole Boyd thing is really quite sad, he needs to grow up and cut the apron strings!

Jake2194

Juniors
bennetts a coach, yes he will change the way you play a bit, but in the end its down to how the players go about things, if the players give 110% every week they will be rewarded.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I find the whole Boyd thing is really quite sad, he needs to grow up and cut the apron strings!

So it is wrong to go to the club to be coached by the best coach? There are 12-13 really POOR coaches in the NRL, most players want to be coached by the best players. Boyd has improved 300% under Bennett at the Dragons, why would he not continue that improvement under Bennett at the Knight!

lockyno1

Post Whore
On MNF he was asked this very question, and said he wanted to finish his career with the Saints. Said Bennett was a good mate and will remain someone he could always ring for advice.

I don't watch MNF on Fox, I am doing things at the same time, I will take you word for it.

aqua_duck

Coach
bennetts a coach, yes he will change the way you play a bit, but in the end its down to how the players go about things, if the players give 110% every week they will be rewarded.

I agree, ultimately it's up to the players to do the job. However I see Bennett's role as beyond just results on the football field. Bennett will bring in a new structure, he'll do things his way, and hopefully that can filter right through the club.
Bennett's appointment also means our juniors will get the best education possible, Bennett also knows how to get the best out of players, and I hope he can apply that to guys like Mullen, and Paterson, 2 blokes who on talent alone should be rep players but seem to struggle with consistency, hopefully Bennett can sol e that enigma.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Bennett can do with the pack, for Costigan it'll be busy as usual, Houston is the type of player Bennett will love and he may even be able to turn Antonio Kaufusi into a decent footballer again (now that's what I call a challenge)

Teddyboy

First Grade
After he gets the Knights a trophy or 2 then he can head back home to the Gold Coast and help them.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The most important thing Bennett did during his time with Saints was give the players and supporters self-belief.

He changed the culture at the club and that is a long-term thing that will last for years after Wayne is gone.

aqua_duck

Coach
The most important thing Bennett did during his time with Saints was give the players and supporters self-belief.

He changed the culture at the club and that is a long-term thing that will last for years after Wayne is gone.

Exactly. That will last more than the 4 years he's in charge. Let's not forget the club was run like a chook raffle not too long ago, Brian Smith improved it a little but his budget was always limited. Wayne will be able to essentially set the club up for atleast the next decade, I can guarentee there will be no amatuer hour antics with Wayne at the helm

InThatNumber

Juniors
Congratulations Knights fans. Best thing for your club in a while. I remember the feeling you all enjoy right now when Bennett signed on with Saints back in 2008. Nothing but good times ahead.

But if we meet you in a GF, I hope that Price's Saints smacks the hell out of Bennett's Knights...

Best of luck.

CMUX

A country Mile? please explain?

The knights played 2 months of the season minus a certain halfback. They still managed to match Parra pound for pound in attack (best ever attacking side). Defence was the only big gap between the sides that season. And when your averaging around 30 points a game who needs defence?

With Johns in the side, we were all the bit as good as Parra. And that showed on GF day.

Oh and Newcastle were the only side to put the Eels to the sword during the regular season. Beat them something like 30-12. No other side came close to beating them by that much from memory. Although they did get us back at the end of the year winning 40-0 (but we proved it was a hickup beating the broncs 44-0 the following week).

Dude no one is trying to take the premiership away from them, they deserved it as they played better on the day. The fact remains though that Parramatta choked and were undeniably the best team all season, in fact, statistically they were the best team ever.

Shorty

Staff member
Why? As I've said before, in other sports the coach is a huge attraction factor.
NFL and especially College football teams attract their players with how powerful the coaches are.
Tinkler is honestly the 2nd best thing to happen to the Knights behind Andrew Johns
That remains to be seen, he certainly has put the club is a massively good position.
Tinkler has a temper on him at times, and Bennett isn't someone who will put up with that.
Hopefully Tinkler is patient, the overall goal of the Knights is different to the Dragons....development is in mind so it may take longer.