What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webb

Im sick of every other team signing players left, right and centre yet here we are struggling to sign anyone. What is so unpopular about Newcastle??????????

Seriously, am I the only one that is P*ssed off over this whole situation??? Im not talking about missing out on Webb... just in general. We have missed out on roughly 20 players? Signed 1 decent one?? Something is not right

Well if you feel that way dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Noname36

First Grade
I think we will fold in a couple of years, the club has too many average players and no high quality stars...

:lol: Come off it. We're all disappointed, but talk about being dramatic. It could be worse. We could be Parra who's only signing is Webb.

Bicey_18

Bench
:lol: Come off it. We're all disappointed, but talk about being dramatic. It could be worse. We could be Parra who's only signing is Webb.

I wish we were Parra... at least they have quality players.

I'd kill to have Moi Moi, Tahu, Burt, Reddy, Hindmarsh, Horo, Mannah etc etc

Add Jarryd Hayne, who has more talent then any of our top 25

Now they have added Webb and almost certainly Maitua...

Their roster sh*ts on ours from above

Noname36

First Grade
I wish we were Parra... at least they have quality players.

I'd kill to have Moi Moi, Tahu, Burt, Reddy, Hindmarsh, Horo, Mannah etc etc

Add Jarryd Hayne, who has more talent then any of our top 25

Now they have added Webb and almost certainly Maitua...

Their roster sh*ts on ours from above

It doesn't matter how many stars you have if the team consistency underachieves. Now they've added the king of underachievement to their roster. I'm sorry that I don't share your envy. I'd love to have a superstar lineup like Parra do, but if they couldn't be bothered having a go then it's wasted.

And we've never been able to sign big name players. If it bothers you that much why do you even support the club. This "not being able to sign anyone" is hardly a new thing. We couldn't get players to the club when we had Andrew Johns FFS.

B-dos

Referee
And we've never been able to sign big name players. If it bothers you that much why do you even support the club. This "not being able to sign anyone" is hardly a new thing. We couldn't get players to the club when we had Andrew Johns FFS.

not quite relevant to the arguement unfortunately

when johns was around we had a good roster. johns and buderus alone took up a major chunk of our salary cap with the rest of the squad made up of many quality players on decent cash

vastly different to the situation we face today. at present we have bucket loads of money and cannot attract anyone. we are going to players most here agree are useless and we cant even get hold of them.

the 'dodged a bullet' excuse is quite ridiculous really. that we put ourselves in front of the bullet in the first place is the issue we need to address. and that we cant even get hit when we want to speaks volumes about the state we are in (club, coach, management recruitment) and the long time we can look forward to sitting in the doldrums until something changes in these areas.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Newcastle must be the most unpopular team in the NRL......

No one wants to come here..

I think we will fold in a couple of years, the club has too many average players and no high quality stars...

drama_queen.jpg

Noname36

First Grade
not quite relevant to the arguement unfortunately

when johns was around we had a good roster. johns and buderus alone took up a major chunk of our salary cap with the rest of the squad made up of many quality players on decent cash

vastly different to the situation we face today. at present we have bucket loads of money and cannot attract anyone. we are going to players most here agree are useless and we cant even get hold of them.

When we had enough money to throw over 200k at Reynoldson, I think it showed that we did in fact have more than enough money to sign some quality. However we still either a: chose not to, or b) were unable to. Not much has changed.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
When we had enough money to throw over 200k at Reynoldson, I think it showed that we did in fact have more than enough money to sign come quality. However we still either a: chose not to, or b) were unable to. Not much has changed.

I'm pretty sure we offered him 190K. If you recall the context of what happened; we had Johns taking forever to decide whether he was going to union or not. That resulted in us losing Kennedy and Tahu. From memory by the time Johns did sign, there weren't to many players in the market and Reynoldson was playing reasonable footy for the storm. We signed him and he had 3 injury plagued years here and played at a level below what he was capable of doing. Having said that, he was never worth the 190K we signed him for.

B-dos

Referee
When we had enough money to throw over 200k at Reynoldson, I think it showed that we did in fact have more than enough money to sign come quality. However we still either a: chose not to, or b) were unable to. Not much has changed.

reynoldson was a direct replacement for ben kennedy. thats why we had the cash

he underacheived while here. at the time of his signing it wasnt the worst decision we ever made.

im not sure whether youre writing of the club as a lost cause, and nothing will ever change? (in which case the drama queen 'jokes' would equally apply to you wouldnt they?) or are you saying that the clubs decision to go after rubbish players and get snubbed by them is no big deal once we 'dodge the bullet'?

Noname36

First Grade
im not sure whether youre writing of the club as a lost cause, and nothing will ever change? (in which case the drama queen 'jokes' would equally apply to you wouldnt they?) or are you saying that the clubs decision to go after rubbish players and get snubbed by them is no big deal once we 'dodge the bullet'?

I'm merely pointing out that calls such as "the club is going to fold in a couple of years because we never sign big name players and don't have enough stars" are not only stupid, but also overly dramatic. We've never been able to sign big name players, and we're still here. It's been years since we've had a superstar team, and we haven't signed one big name player to replace them. It's disappointing, but we're certainly not going to fold.

B-dos

Referee
I'm merely pointing out that calls such as "the club is going to fold in a couple of years because we never sign big name players and don't have enough stars" are not only stupid, but also overly dramatic. ]

i wont argue that it wasnt way off the mark

but on the other side of the coin, id agree that a big name player would assist in turning the clubs fortunes around both in terms of making the club more appealing for other players and getting fans to games. both of which ensure the clubs success

We've never been able to sign big name players, and we're still here. It's been years since we've had a superstar team, and we haven't signed one big name player to replace them. We're still here aren't we?

luckily for us some once in a lifetime players came through the ranks during the 90s.

are you suggesting criticism of the clubs recruitment is overly dramatic because we should be used to mediocrity and to expect/demand more is unrealistic?

Noname36

First Grade
are you suggesting criticism of the clubs recruitment is overly dramatic because we should be used to mediocrity and to expect/demand more is unrealistic?

Of course not, which is why I edited the post to say that while it's disappointing, we're not going to fold. I realised that it gave the impression that we should accept mediocrity, and that certainly wasn't what I was trying to imply. I apologise for giving you that impression. Please understand that my frustration with Bicey's comment was not because he was annoyed by the direction that the club takes (I think we all share that), but more because of the extent he was taking it.

B-dos

Referee
fair enough

my issue, which ive expressed numerous times on this forum, is the continued poor handling of many aspects of club operations by coach, management and recruitment of the club (not suggesting it is exclusively poor)

that we fail to sign anyone of note should not be accepted with resignation. we need to find ways to attract the best talent we can. waiting for the next superstar junior isnt acceptable. continuing to target unwanted no hopers from other clubs and being snubbed is not acceptable. all i say is we need to look at why and how we change it and cheering in relief about how we dodged about the 10th bullet of the season does no one any favours.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think it's unreasonable for us as fans though to express our relief that we don't have Webb, White, J Smith, Tighe, etc on our books for next year. I agree that it's highlighting a big issue we have with recruitment of big name players, but it's a lot easier to swallow knowing that we're not starting off 2011 with White and Webb as our starting frontrowers.

You're right that something needs to be done though to make the place more appealing to players. We really need at least one of Henry, KOD or Likiliki to absolutely kill it. If we can show the up and coming superstars that they'll get a shot here to show what they've got, more will follow. If we can build a good team around these young players, I can see other more experienced players wanting to follow. Nobody is going to want to come here currently given that we're not a finals footy team. We need on field success before that will happen. And since we can't sign great players, we're going to have to do it the hard way with the youngsters.

Latest posts