What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wentworthville Magpies NSW State cup champions 08 official thread.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fulltime...Wenty 22-16 winners!!!

congratulations Wentworthville you did us proud!!!!

Can I just say that this pack of no hopers just beat a side that contained the likes of Jarrod Sammut, Adam Woolnough, Paul Aiton, Shane Rodney, Frank Puletua and Josh MCCrone...

fantastic effort...pitty you'll be ignored by our a coaching staff on Tuesday yet again but keep that head high regardless.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So that puts them in 2nd spot??? after the way first grade and the u 20's have been going surely some of these guys deserve a go. They couldn't play any worse.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Not rubbing in at all Stagger. Just got a msg from a mate at the ground 'none of this lot will be pressing for First Grade based on today's performance' with regards to the Windsor players.

The next Penrith forward to be promoted will be Daniel Penese out of the 20's.

roopy

Referee
Eric Grothe will get his sh*t together playing under Rip.

A Taylor story - a few years ago i went to a Knights v Canberra Flegg game in Quenbeyan and big Dane Tilse, who had been cut by the Knights a few months before, showed up to watch and say hello to a few of the Knights players, then i saw him have a word with Rip, and right when Rip should have been concentrating on the coming game i saw him go off to an empty part of the stands and have a half hour deep and meaningful conversation with a kid he had coached for half a season two years before and had absolutely nothing to do with at that time.

Taylor doesn't play mind games like Smith and isn't wishy-washy like Hagan. He is just a genuine guy who tells players the truth and actually gives a sh*t about the young guys he looks after - and the players show up and do their best on game day.

Another story - Taylor went off on a tour with a junior rep team when he was coaching Newcastle Wests and the semis were just starting. When he was asked how he could leave his team at that time he said the players all knew what they had to do and didn't need him anymore - they went on to win the GF - as most Taylor coached sides do.

Most coaches these days treat players like spoilt schoolkids, but Taylor treats them like responsible adults and that's how they act under him.

I watched Wentworthville last week against the Knights, and every player put in and did their job to the best of their ability. I've seen a lot of Taylor coached sides over the years - and every player putting in is what sets them apart.

Gronk

Staff member
Any reason why the Wenty team sheet isn't available ? Not on the Wenty, Parra or NSWRL websites. Very average if you ask me.

slippery nipeel

Juniors
Eric Grothe will get his sh*t together playing under Rip.

A Taylor story - a few years ago i went to a Knights v Canberra Flegg game in Quenbeyan and big Dane Tilse, who had been cut by the Knights a few months before, showed up to watch and say hello to a few of the Knights players, then i saw him have a word with Rip, and right when Rip should have been concentrating on the coming game i saw him go off to an empty part of the stands and have a half hour deep and meaningful conversation with a kid he had coached for half a season two years before and had absolutely nothing to do with at that time.

Taylor doesn't play mind games like Smith and isn't wishy-washy like Hagan. He is just a genuine guy who tells players the truth and actually gives a sh*t about the young guys he looks after - and the players show up and do their best on game day.

Another story - Taylor went off on a tour with a junior rep team when he was coaching Newcastle Wests and the semis were just starting. When he was asked how he could leave his team at that time he said the players all knew what they had to do and didn't need him anymore - they went on to win the GF - as most Taylor coached sides do.

Most coaches these days treat players like spoilt schoolkids, but Taylor treats them like responsible adults and that's how they act under him.

I watched Wentworthville last week against the Knights, and every player put in and did their job to the best of their ability. I've seen a lot of Taylor coached sides over the years - and every player putting in is what sets them apart.

Good story. Being in Newcastle I know I few of the guys that have been coached by Rip over the years and they have nothing but praise for his coaching abilities. What he lacks in profile he makes of up for in coaching expertise and good man management.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the team was..

1 Tim Mortimer - off contract
2 Iwi Hauraki - off contract (chased by Canberra)
3 Mark Lulland - off contract
4 James Grehan - off contract ( would have plenty of offers)
5 Eric Grothe
6 Mark O'Grady - Off contract
7 James Maloney - (sh*tloads of offers including Melbourne and Souths)
8 Alf Betham - off contract
9 Marty Mitchell - off contract
10 Jeremy Latimore - Off contract and in demand.
11 Brett Blaker - off contract
12 Justin horo - off contract
13 Brod Wright

14 Jono Wright - off contract and in demand
15 Nathan cleaver - off contract
16 Michael Woodlands - off contract
17 jacob Byrne - off contract.

strider

Post Whore
i'm not asking this cos i think he should be our coach or anything .... but do u guys think Rip would be a good NRL coach? - would he want to be or is that not up his alley? ... sounds like a good bloke - someone who'd be a very good assistant for a hard nosed coach so that the players have someone to talk to when the top coach goes nuts :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
i'm not asking this cos i think he should be our coach or anything .... but do u guys think Rip would be a good NRL coach? - would he want to be or is that not up his alley? ... sounds like a good bloke - someone who'd be a very good assistant for a hard nosed coach so that the players have someone to talk to when the top coach goes nuts :lol:

I'd have him there infront of Daisy in a pink fit...

Gronk

Staff member
the team was..

1 Tim Mortimer - off contract
2 Iwi Hauraki - off contract (chased by Canberra)
3 Mark Lulland - off contract
4 James Grehan - off contract ( would have plenty of offers)
5 Eric Grothe
6 Mark O'Grady - Off contract
7 James Maloney - (sh*tloads of offers including Melbourne and Souths)
8 Alf Betham - off contract
9 Marty Mitchell - off contract
10 Jeremy Latimore - Off contract and in demand.
11 Brett Blaker - off contract
12 Justin horo - off contract
13 Brod Wright

14 Jono Wright - off contract and in demand
15 Nathan cleaver - off contract
16 Michael Woodlands - off contract
17 jacob Byrne - off contract.

Thnx. So which of these players have the form and ability to play FG next week ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Thnx. So which of these players have the form and ability to play FG next week ?

I'm hopeful MITS can shed some light on their form but I have no doubt that Brod Wright, Latimore, Grothe, Grehan and Maloney can hold their own.

Latest posts