What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

Collateral

Coach
Pumba said:
Point taken willow Dane did something wrong that is alot worse then Wes but he did pay the price he was SACKED imo Wes should be deregistered until his sentence is served.

So we should punish Wes by sacking him so that the Raiders can sign him?

Dave Q

Coach
If he is expelled from the club, he may end up at another club.. Panthers for example. they would be very keen on him indeed.

If he is expelled from the NRL, then he's off to ESL to earn 3 times as much (only more coldly).

If he cant play footy anywhere, he has to fall back on his trade or profession or other talents.

He obviously cant work as a driver, so all of those types of positions are out of the question.

He'd be doing it tough now I think.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
If he is expelled from the NRL, then he's off to ESL to earn 3 times as much (only more coldly).
He could certainly build up those frequent flyer points: Heathrow to Silverwater every week.

_Johnsy

Referee
Dave Q said:
As far as evidencing the reason for driving, you'd be tendering up hospital notes that should prove that she was admitted to hospital for those things complained of after Wes dropped or took her there (if he did).

Maybe some statements from witnesses who saw her falling ill:

Witness X.

3..I turned around and saw a person whom I know to be Paulini ..... on the floor holding her stomach. Her face was red and she looked to be in considerable pain.

4. I heard Paulini say:

'I feel terrible Wes, I need to get to the hospital quickly, I dont think I can wait for an ambulance."

5. I saw Wes pick her up and place her on her feet.

6. I then heard her say:

" I think I can make it out to the car Wes but I am to ill to drive."

7. I heard Wes say:

" I am not allowed to drive".

8. I heard her cry out in pain, she slipped and she grabbed her stomach.

9. I then saw them leave the premises. Wes was holding her waist gently in case she fell. He has a very worried look on his face and seemed very distressed.

The defence rests your honour :clap:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Pumba said:
PFFT thats nothing compared to drink driving and being caught MORE THEN ONCE.

Oh yeah... care to show me when he was caught drink driving ?

*coughs*

Swearing at an NRL official... Driving unlicenced which has nothing to do with the game.

Hmm... which would make the NRL look worse to a AFL fan I wonder.

I ain't saying that Naiqama shouldn't be punished... just pointing out your bias & hypocrisy.

sharknows

Bench
I would like to salute St George and the NRL for encouraging such role model behavior to the children in our society. If only everyone could behave like Wes what a better country it would be. Isn't it great to see how good behaviour is so well rewarded.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
sharknows said:
I would like to salute St George
Thanks, but let's not get too carried away.
This little saga still hasn't played out.

sharknows said:
and the NRL for encouraging such role model behavior to the children in our society.
Yes... won't someone please think of the children.

Quite clearly Wes is is responsible for the misbehaviour of kiddies everywhere.
sharknows said:
If only everyone could behave like Wes what a better country it would be. Isn't it great to see how good behaviour is so well rewarded.
Add to that the ills of society. Wes sure has a lot to answer for.

At least we have good people on forums like this who know how to keep a level head during times of crisis.

sharknows

Bench
That was posted tongue in cheek ... But really think about it. NRL players are put on a pedestal and are treated as heroes by many children (and adults). Maybe the media has a bit to answer for beating it up so much. I understand that he is not a rapist or anything sinister like that but his actions are unacceptable in our society as evidenced by the court. What would have been the attitude of St George and the NRL had he been involved in an accident which seriously injured or killed an innocent party?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
sharknows said:
That was posted tongue in cheek ...
Gee, you think so? lol

sharknows said:
But really think about it. NRL players are put on a pedestal and are treated as heroes by many children (and adults). Maybe the media has a bit to answer for beating it up so much. I understand that he is not a rapist or anything sinister like that but his actions are unacceptable in our society as evidenced by the court. What would have been the attitude of St George and the NRL had he been involved in an accident which seriously injured or killed an innocent party?
This is the broader question. And I agree there is a serious side to all this.

He might have got away with it in past generations when unlicenced drivers were commonplace, but in the here and now that simply isn't the case and its not like the bloke wasn't given ample warning.

Nevertheless, Wes is not getting off scot-free. After all he has been sentence to periodic detention and his image is tainted. But I do think he could do more and he has a lot of work to do if he is to redeem himself.

Maybe its just me but if I was Wes, I'd be champing at the bit to get the court proceedings over with so I could get out in public and try and get something good happening from this mess. A positive out of a negative. The idea of combining punishment and rehabilitation for the greater good is not a new concept.

For example he could engage in some extra community work where he freely gives up his time to promote road safety. If he doesn't understand why, then I think he should sit out every morning watching how idiots drive around schools where kids are in constant danger of being clipped by some incompetant who thinks his needs to get from point A to point B overides all other concerns. I see it every day where I live.

But laying the boot into the guy doesn't solve anything. If there is a way where a positive outcome can be found, then I say that's the path the club and the NRL should be taking.

sharknows

Bench
Willow said:
But laying the boot into the guy doesn't solve anything. If there is a way where a positive outcome can be found, then I say that's the path the club and the NRL should be taking.

I don't know the answer to this situation. Whatever the end result however someone will be unhappy. I certainly hope that Wes can do as you suggest and turn it around to make a better person of himself. Should a decision be taken to deregister him at some stage it will only be a temporary interruption to his career and I think all footy followers would hope that he uses that period positively to get his act together.

Dave Q

Coach
Willow said:
Gee, you think so? lol

This is the broader question. And I agree there is a serious side to all this.

He might have got away with it in past generations when unlicenced drivers were commonplace, but in the here and now that simply isn't the case and its not like the bloke wasn't given ample warning.

Nevertheless, Wes is not getting off scot-free. After all he has been sentence to periodic detention and his image is tainted. But I do think he could do more and he has a lot of work to do if he is to redeem himself.

Maybe its just me but if I was Wes, I'd be champing at the bit to get the court proceedings over with so I could get out in public and try and get something good happening from this mess. A positive out of a negative. The idea of combining punishment and rehabilitation for the greater good is not a new concept.

For example he could engage in some extra community work where he freely gives up his time to promote road safety. If he doesn't understand why, then I think he should sit out every morning watching how idiots drive around schools where kids are in constant danger of being clipped by some incompetant who thinks his needs to get from point A to point B overides all other concerns. I see it every day where I live.

Ahem Wilz,

Our mate is a ...well he's a serial traffic offender. Hes doing time for it (CORRECT).

Only the most stupid and/or gullible person would believe anything he has to say about road safety.

His skills lie in footballing and he could teach some earnest youngsters a thing or two on that topic (and some internationals too the way he is playing!). Community service would be better, I agree, but Chris Longley is a very experienced magistrate and respected by prosecutors and lawyers alike.

If he had pulled Falzon out at Bankstown, it could have been a lot worse.

His sentence is stayed whilst the appeal is waiting to be heard. Life goes on subject to whatever bail conditions he is on.

He needs to talk to some guys who have been there and they should give him the heads up on inside behaviour. There will be some pretty rough guys in there, he has to stay out of trouble. Dont turn up with anything valuable, even a pair of decent sunnies is a prize for some, enough to cause a fracas.

It would be better if he could serve it by way of home detention, but thats not an option.

As I said, I reckon the NRL should keep well out of it.

He's been judged and will be judged by the community as a whole, not just his employer.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
Only the most stupid and/or gullible person would believe anything he has to say about road safety.
I don't agree.

Whether its pictures of Wes visiting road accidents kids in hospital or him being a lollypop man, it will make people think. There are young drivers, particularly boys, who think they are invincible and they think the laws of the road are hindrance rather then something which has to be adhered to. If they see one of their own being publicly reminded of his obligatiions to the community, then it can't hurt.

And the NRL is involved, whether they like it or not. That's not to say they won't steer clear though... which I suspect they will.

Nevertheless, Clubs and the NRL are often involved in community-based programs which are essentially about influencing public perceptions. The non-profit Women in League inititative is one example. Nothing to do with football per se, but neccessity dictated that the NRL and Clubs could not ignore those issues.

Father Ted

First Grade
sharknows said:
That was posted tongue in cheek ... But really think about it. NRL players are put on a pedestal and are treated as heroes by many children (and adults). Maybe the media has a bit to answer for beating it up so much. I understand that he is not a rapist or anything sinister like that but his actions are unacceptable in our society as evidenced by the court. What would have been the attitude of St George and the NRL had he been involved in an accident which seriously injured or killed an innocent party?

Don't you suport the club where a bloke punched out a young woman at a petrol station , not to mention a first grade prop who punched out a lower grade forward ?

sharknows

Bench
Father Ted said:
Don't you suport the club where a bloke punched out a young woman at a petrol station , not to mention a first grade prop who punched out a lower grade forward ?
What are you on ? ... Cocaine? Slow working dope...

Dave Q

Coach
Back to Wes for a minute.

I saw him play last night.

He didnt get too much opportunity to run, but when he did, geez he looked the goods.

He is certainly very accomplished, fit and willing. He's fast and strong, always in position.

That being the case, I can fully understand the Saints desire to keep him on-paddock.

He will create all kinds of havoc this year against substandard backlines.

Some of the taunts I heard:

"Dont drop the soap Wes!"

"Ask the dragon (mascot) to give you a lift home Wes."

"Hows Paulini Wes?"

"Wes, have a beer on me mate"

"Get off you fugging criminal."

And so forth from the self-styled wits in the crowd, who sounded mostly drunk themselves. As you can see it was more of an attempt at humour than a genuine dislike or disrespect, except perhaps for the last comment.

Now Souths fans, we arent especially nasty or angry people, and he will cop a lot worse as the season progresses from other clubs fans.

But he took it in his stride and answered his critics with a cracking game and it took some effort to contain him.

With Gaz out, he is one player the Saints could use.

Wes hasnt brought the game into disrepute, he's value-adding on-field, so I say: NRL butt out.